Code of Conduct
    Guerlainista

Default Help dating this Flacon Amphore of Shalimar

I recently acquired a full flacon amphore of Shalimar extrait. I've been wanting one of these bottles for a while, so I was very happy to finally get one. However, it did not include the box, so I have no idea what vintage its from. Can anyone tell from the photos below?

Thanks!

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help dating this Flacon Amphore of Shalimar

l don't know, but it's verrrrry pretty!

Nice pics rubegon, congrats on your purchase!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I too have no idea. But just wanted to state: JEALOUS. And happy for you. This is gorgeous. And I lust for it.

Guerlainista

Thanks, ladies! I'm not really a bottle guy, but for this one I make an exception. This is probably my favorite bottle in all of perfumery. I'm very happy to finally have one in my collection, but I'd love to know more about it.

Basenotes Institution

Beautiful bottle Rubegon. Score!

The intertwined 'HP' on the bottom means that it was made by the glass makers, Pochet et du Courval (not Baccarat or Cristal Romesnil). In addition, the label says 'Shalimar Guerlain' not just 'Shalimar' so it's vintage but not extremely old vintage. It's definitely newer than the umbrella bottle but perhaps Older than the 'Batman' bottles.

If I had to guess I'd say it's from the late 60's or early 70's.

Question: did you buy it from a reputable Seller? The reason I ask is this: nowhere on the bottle does it say it's an extrait / parfum. And there is no cord on the neck. Some fishy Sellers (I'm not suggesting your Seller did this) refill empty flacon amphor bottles with vintage EdP or EdT. Have you worn it and can you confirm that it is in fact extrait?
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Great images, and thank you for sharing. I would guess before 1940, but I may be wrong.

That may be an original seal. I have a D'Orsay (yes, I know, the Comte wasn't a perfumer) from the 1940s and there is an original seal like that.

Let us know what you find out.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Beautiful bottle Rubegon. Score!

The intertwined 'HP' on the bottom means that it was made by the glass makers, Pochet et du Courval (not Baccarat or Cristal Romesnil). In addition, the label says 'Shalimar Guerlain' not just 'Shalimar' so it's vintage but not extremely old vintage. It's definitely newer than the umbrella bottle but perhaps Older than the 'Batman' bottles.

If I had to guess I'd say it's from the late 60's or early 70's.

Question: did you buy it from a reputable Seller? The reason I ask is this: nowhere on the bottle does it say it's an extrait / parfum. And there is no cord on the neck. Some fishy Sellers (I'm not suggesting your Seller did this) refill empty flacon amphor bottles with vintage EdP or EdT. Have you worn it and can you confirm that it is in fact extrait?
    Mike - its entirely possible that I got ripped off. I was so excited to get an amphore that went for an unsealed one. I got it on eBay as an "unsealed, almost full" bottle from a seller with lots of 100% feedback, but I know that's no guarantee of authenticity.

I haven't really worn it yet - just a drop on my arm. The topnotes seem off, but it's definitely "Shalimaric". The heart smells right, but weaker than I'd expect - although everything tends to be weaker than I expect on my skin because I soak up fragrance like a sponge.

I'm not confident I would know for sure, as the only sealed vintage parfum I have bought is still sealed. The juice is about as dark as my sealed vintage Marly horse bottle, and much darker than bottles of the current parfum, zigzag box vintage EdT, and PdT atomizer I have. Here's a comparison:

Zigzag box EdT, Marly horse parfum (no outer box, but would have been zigzag, I think), the bottle in question, Parfum de Toilette (this is the oldest "EdP" formulation, I think), and current parfum.

Here's a close up of my sealed vintage parfum:

Maybe I should open up this beauty and compare. I really don't want to do that, though ...

I never considered that the label not saying "parfum" was a concern. My vintage bottle just says "Shalimar" where the current says "Parfum - Shalimar - Guerlain - Paris". I thought I read somewhere that there was a label in between those that had fewer words than the current. The amphore bottles were all parfum, weren't they?

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Great images, and thank you for sharing. I would guess before 1940, but I may be wrong.

That may be an original seal. I have a D'Orsay (yes, I know, the Comte wasn't a perfumer) from the 1940s and there is an original seal like that.

Let us know what you find out.
    Thanks, Primrose - I enjoy photographing my perfumes almost as much as I do wearing them! My bathroom vanity and iPhone4 make a surprisingly good photography studio.

I will certainly report back if I learn anything outside of this thread.

Basenotes Plus

rubegon,lovely collection! Congratulations

perhaps check out Mr Guerlain'swebsite??
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Lovely collection, rubegon! I am no Shalimar expert (I like Shalimar, but I only *love* the zig zag real deal ). I would consult Mr. Guerlain's site, search the archives here and if I recall well there was a 'guide to vintage Shalimar' on ebay as well (google should bring that up, too). My most precious Shalimar lovelies are the extraits with 'Shalimar' only, sealed, boxed and still rather light in color. Crack open that bottle and tell us! This stuff was meant to breathe I keep saying... Mr. Guerlain is very fond of dark Shalimar juice, it really seems to mature like fine wine.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    ...I haven't really worn it yet - just a drop on my arm. The topnotes seem off, but it's definitely "Shalimaric". The heart smells right, but weaker than I'd expect - although everything tends to be weaker than I expect on my skin because I soak up fragrance like a sponge....

...I'm not confident I would know for sure, as the only sealed vintage parfum I have bought is still sealed...

...The amphore bottles were all parfum, weren't they?
    Well, then my advice is decant some more of that juice into an atomizer and give yourself a full wearing of this mystery juice - IMO it is going to wear EXTREMELY different from the EdT and the PdT you are familiar with. It's going to be less intense with the bergamot top notes (due to the age) but then it will be extremely smoky and animalic, with an almost petroleum-type of smell, I swear I am not kidding. My guess is your bottle is either not parfum or it is parfum, but it hasn't been stored properly. That juice is DARK. And I have worn and enjoyed dark vintage Shalimar but it was not weak or Shalimaresque...it was the epitome of the scent, which is why (as Larimar said) Mr. Guerlain prefers it. It is the **BEST** version of one the **BEST** Guerlain scents. Something special. It knocked me down the first time I smelled it.

Or even easier, just crack open that vintage juice you have and compare them side-by-side - my GOD, I don't know how you have the restraint. There is NO WAY I could resist opening that and wearing it. And it will just continue to get better and better as it ages. (sigh) I am glowing green with envy over here. You're killing me.

And, perhaps you are correct, maybe those amphore bottles were all parfum - therefore that's why they weren't marked otherwise.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 1st April 2012 at 03:15 AM.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

My bit of vintage extrait is so, so, immediately dazzling at first whiff I almost fainted. Nothing brash or harsh or overpowering, just so PRESENT, and so SHALIMAR. So powerful, like each drop held an entire universe of scent encapsulated into one tiny bit. Does that help at all?

And I agree--open the bottle already. That beauty is meant for smelling, for wearing, for experiencing. It haunts me even from the picture!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

queen of the universe

Agree w/KarmaLee: open it.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Guerlainista

OK, already! I will open it.

I think it's my only good vintage Shalimar extrait, so I've been ... saving it - for what? I don't know. I suppose it's just that once I open it, I won't have a sealed bottle of the best Shalimar ever anymore. Once it has been opened, an irreversible process begins that ends with an empty bottle of the best Shalimar ever. I know it's silly - what's the point of having it if I'm not enjoying it?

I have a 1/4 oz flacon parapluie in a white/black zigzag box with the purple Marly horse inner box, as well as the unboxed amphore - I bought both unsealed. I compared them to each other last night - I think both have either been tampered with or they have been badly stored. The opening of both has no little bergamot, and is definitely "off" with very low sillage. The base is OK, but I'm mostly getting vanilla by then - the best part of the show is over.

I checked Mr. Guerlain's page and found a lot of info, but not much about the flacon amphore, other than a photo of a 15ml example that may be the same as mine.

I also found some info elsewhere on the web, including the eBay guides. One of the guides says that the amphora was only used for parfum, but I couldn't confirm that.

Knowing that the juice in my amphore is off, identifying it's exact vintage is not so important. It would be interesting to know still.

Anyway, I'll try my sealed bottle tomorrow and report back.

OK, already! I will open it.

I think it's my only good vintage Shalimar extrait, so I've been ... saving it - for what? I don't know. I suppose it's just that once I open it, I won't have a sealed bottle of the best Shalimar ever anymore. Once it has been opened, an irreversible process begins that ends with an empty bottle of the best Shalimar ever. I know it's silly - what's the point of having it if I'm not enjoying it?

I have a 1/4 oz flacon parapluie in a white/black zigzag box with the purple Marly horse inner box, as well as the unboxed amphore - I bought both unsealed. I compared them to each other last night - I think both have either been tampered with or they have been badly stored. The opening of both has no little bergamot, and is definitely "off" with very low sillage. The base is OK, but I'm mostly getting vanilla by then - the best part of the show is over.

I checked Mr. Guerlain's page and found a lot of info, but not much about the flacon amphore, other than a photo of a 15ml example that may be the same as mine.

I also found some info elsewhere on the web, including the eBay guides. One of the guides says that the amphora was only used for parfum, but I couldn't confirm that.

Knowing that the juice in my amphore is off, identifying it's exact vintage is not so important. It would be interesting to know still.

Anyway, I'll try my sealed bottle tomorrow and report back.
    Oh, my!! Let us know, rubegon!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

rubegon, I am almost a 100 % certain the amphore is extrait only. As to the sealed zig zag extraits... they don't come easily anymore, but they occasionally do show up for grabs.

The bottle is from the 50s.
    This specific design was made available from 1950 to 1955, some bottles were designed and produced by Baccarat and other bottles by Pochet et du Courval. This design was used for other Guerlain scents from that period as well.

cheers

Guerlainista

OK - I didn't have time today.

I'm extremely fussy about opening these things. I pry open the metal seal, untie the cord, and keep untie-ing until the stopper is free, and then I re-tie it back to the stopper, and knot it above and inside the foil seal and then close it back up again as well as I can. This can take me up to an hour! Am I the only crazy that does this? I'll try to do it tomorrow.

By the way, this one is different from all the others I've opened. The seal usually looks like thick foil with a gold coloring on the outside. This one looks like its made of copper foil, and seems much stronger. You can see the color difference in the image in post #7 above, where there is also a current parfum in the picture.

castorpollux - thanks for the info. Are you sure they were only made in the 50s? I read a web site that described the bottles used over the years, and it shows this style as being made from 1955-1978. That's not from a verified source or anything like that - just one website I happened to find googling, and that time period includes a few variations of the design. Do you mean that this specific version of the amphore was made only from 1950-55?

Great description Karmalee. This is also my experience with the 1967 extrait I recently acquired and opened on my birthday. Dazzling, swoon worthy, life changing, if I could only own or wear one fragrance for the rest of my life, this would be the one. No hesitation.
    I love your rose bottle, rugegon, I also just got one of Chamade, mostly for the gorgeous bottle, too. I am a sucker for roses. So elegant, romantic and pretty.
    I wish you to have a weak in the knees encounter with your soon to be opened bottle of Shalimar. Golden sprinklings from the perfume fairy.
    RTamara

Quote Originally Posted by KarmaLee View Post
    My bit of vintage extrait is so, so, immediately dazzling at first whiff I almost fainted. Nothing brash or harsh or overpowering, just so PRESENT, and so SHALIMAR. So powerful, like each drop held an entire universe of scent encapsulated into one tiny bit. Does that help at all?

And I agree--open the bottle already. That beauty is meant for smelling, for wearing, for experiencing. It haunts me even from the picture!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Guerlainista

It's ...

good!

I wait with held breathe, ok that is a lie. I am breathing deeply of my own bit of Shalimar extrait--for you to open and experience and report. Let us know when the opening ritual is complete!

I am sorry you might have some tampered with juice, but then again, with that fount of Shalimar excellence awaiting you, you are still blessed among earthlings. I think I am drunk on Shalimar fumes. It happens. I swear.

Details of the opening and the smelling. I need vicarious pleasures this week!

ADDITION: I just read the "it's good" AFTER typing this. Good? Good? I need, lust, beg, for details! More! :}
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

castorpollux - thanks for the info. Are you sure they were only made in the 50s? I read a web site that described the bottles used over the years, and it shows this style as being made from 1955-1978. That's not from a verified source or anything like that - just one website I happened to find googling, and that time period includes a few variations of the design. Do you mean that this specific version of the amphore was made only from 1950-55?
    Yes, I'm sure. The bottles were expensive for manufacture, so Guerlain stopped making them, also, they did not sell as expected, so the extraits went back to their original bottle designs, which were more affordable for the House and sold well.
    Guerlain had a big stock of the bottles so they used most of them until 1960. Some of the latter bottles had a slightly different design (the "legs of the body" or the "waist down" were much slimmer, so there was less perfume in it), that's why i dated your bottle as manufactured between 1950 and 1955.

cheers

Basenotes Plus

Karma Lee you crack me up! But I agree....rubegon, sweetie...seriously "it's good?????? More adjectives, s'il vous plait
    A Scent Rescuer

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    Yes, I'm sure. The bottles were expensive for manufacture, so Guerlain stopped making them, also, they did not sell as expected, so the extraits went back to their original bottle designs, which were more affordable for the House and sold well.
    Guerlain had a big stock of the bottles so they used most of them until 1960. Some of the latter bottles had a slightly different design (the "legs of the body" or the "waist down" were much slimmer, so there was less perfume in it), that's why i dated your bottle as manufactured between 1950 and 1955.
    Thanks so much! It sounds like you know your stuff! It tells me that the chances of finding an amphore with good juice is lower than the later designs, so I won't try again with one of these bottles. I have my beautiful slinky little flacon (with not so beautiful juice) - I don't need another.

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    Karma Lee you crack me up! But I agree....rubegon, sweetie...seriously "it's good?????? More adjectives, s'il vous plait
    Sorry, Knit! I didn't have time! Too many mundane matters filling my days lately. I barely had time to pop it open, dabbed some on my arm, sniffed it and posted my little tease.

By the way, that little charm was tough to get off! I swear it's made of heavy gauge copper or brass foil - much stronger than the aluminum foil ones with gold tone on the outside that they put on the new bottles and the vintage EdC and EdT.

Today, I put one spray on my arm so I could feel it developing throughout the day. I couldn't give it a full wearing - I can't walk around work smelling like the Abode of Love, you know. It may undermine my authority.

I reapplied this evening to play it back.

... It's going to be less intense with the bergamot top notes (due to the age) but then it will be extremely smoky and animalic, with an almost petroleum-type of smell, I swear I am not kidding.
    That's it, Mike! The citrus is very subdued, but still there, I think. It's overshadowed by - everything else! It's incensy, resinous, sweet, animalic - and in a very complex organic way, not the "check-the-box", "yeah, it's in there" civetone aromachemical way. I know what you mean about the petroleum - it has this nose-singing kerosene bite. It literally stings when sniffed up close.

It's so intense, and utterly captivating. It goes in through my nose, works its way through my brain, down my spine, and grabs me by the core. I swear - sniffing the first movement is so charged and overwhelming it has a physical effect. Weak in the knees, feeling faint - it sounds like it must be hyperbolic, but I totally get it.

The opening is the best part by far. After that, it's still gorgeous, but it loses that gut-wrenching power. Much more floral, rounder and juicier that the current parfum. Much more feminine, I would say. I don't care, though. It's too good for that to matter. I'm not great with notes, but I think I smell jasmine, rose, and iris. It's very natural and complex to my nose. Are these all still natural florals? Does the current still have them? I don't know, but there's a big difference here, I think. Comparing to the current version by analogy - this is like an oil painting, where the current is like a pixelated digital image. The new one is very angular and sort of represents the idea of the floral elements, where the vintage is just ... there!

The drydown is pretty much the same as the current version. At least I can't tell the difference. I haven't compared back to back, but if they are different, it's not a dramatic difference. It's pretty much all smoky vanilla and sweet resins, with the fading light of the heart.

It's easily the best perfume I've ever smelled.

OK - I put it all out there. I hope I didn't make too big a fool of myself! That's certainly the most detailed report I've ever given of any perfume anywhere. I usually don't trust my nose/brain enough to say so much, but it kinda gushed out.

I wait with held breathe, ok that is a lie. I am breathing deeply of my own bit of Shalimar extrait--for you to open and experience and report. Let us know when the opening ritual is complete!

I am sorry you might have some tampered with juice, but then again, with that fount of Shalimar excellence awaiting you, you are still blessed among earthlings. I think I am drunk on Shalimar fumes. It happens. I swear.

Details of the opening and the smelling. I need vicarious pleasures this week!
    KarmaLee - It was hearbreaking to realize how degraded the juice in my amphore and parapluie are. But, the awesome perfection of the contents of my bigger urn flacon go a long way towards making up for it.

I know exactly what you mean by being drunk on Shalimar now!

Basenotes Plus

rubegon....Sooooo PROUD OF YOU! That was some fine perfume writing
    A Scent Rescuer

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    rubegon....Sooooo PROUD OF YOU! That was some fine perfume writing
    Thanks, Knit - that's very kind of you to say.

Now that it's open, I'm already dreading the day that it will be gone! I'm one of those people that starts getting depressed on the 4th day of a 7 day vacation because it's more than half over now. This is even worse! There will always be another vacation. Not this - there will come a day when there are no more bottles of vintage Shalimar to be found.

I'm normally not a glass-half-empty type, but I can't help it. Each wearing is, say .1 - .2ml. That's only about 200 doses of olfactory heroin before my little 30ml bottle is empty.

The government of France should nationalize the Guerlain family oeuvre, protect it as a national treasure, and produce the classic perfumes in their best vintage formulations for the betterment of all mankind.

I am so proud! Your description was lovely, and mirrors my own experience so well. It does just get down to the bones, and can make me almost so overwhelmed that other things just don't measure up....

And I agree. National treasure. Like life in a bottle. A universe in a bottle. It makes me want to go mortgage my property and buy every vintage bottle I can find!
    W. Somerset Maugham

Basenotes Institution

rubegon, I'm glad you're enjoying the vintage stuff and I do agree with your comments about how it differs to the 'new' juice. I enjoy both, for different purposes.

Try this one day: Douse yourself with vintage parfum. I mean really over do it. It's a sublime experience. You will smell of it for +24 hours and you will experience the full trajectory of the scent from top/middle/base notes more intensely.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Try this one day: Douse yourself with vintage parfum. I mean really over do it. It's a sublime experience. You will smell of it for +24 hours and you will experience the full trajectory of the scent from top/middle/base notes more intensely.
    I think this should be done for all favorite scents at least once, and normally I prefer low sillage bordering on skin scents. Just having the experience feels glorious is a learning experience.
    A Scent Rescuer

where's mr. guerlain (or mr. g i think his username is now) he is the expert on guerlain bottles. drop him a post, he's usually glad to help with this sort of thing.

from what i can tell, the design looks very old in style, but is that plastic on the stopper? the really old bottles (roughly more than half a century ago, i think) did not have this.

Blog Entries

There is a lady on the internet who is an expert in vintage bottles. I am not affiliated, and here is the link:

http://www.cleopatrasboudoir.com/

You may wish to study the website and contact her.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

The bergamot opening is sensational and euphoric, but you need to apply that vintage generously on your neck and dips of collar bone in the way part of the jus gets absorbed by fabric. If you resmell your clothes on the nextday, you will see what made Shalimar what it was. When I first detected that smell in my wardrobe (I have a tiny room) I literally went bananas where that divine amell came from.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    from what i can tell, the design looks very old in style, but is that plastic on the stopper? the really old bottles (roughly more than half a century ago, i think) did not have this.
    The stopper does have a plastic seal - it looks like the glass top has a small nub that the plastic stopper is pressed/glued onto. This is the same as the bottles in the zigzag 1967-marked boxes, I think. I've neved had a parfum with older packaging, so I have no idea when they changed from all glass.

rubegon, I'm glad you're enjoying the vintage stuff and I do agree with your comments about how it differs to the 'new' juice. I enjoy both, for different purposes.
    I like the current as well. I think it is more wearable for me - I still won't wear it out alone, but I layer it with Habit Rouge. I think the vintage will be something I indulge in at home, mostly

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    The bergamot opening is sensational and euphoric, but you need to apply that vintage generously on your neck and dips of collar bone in the way part of the jus gets absorbed by fabric. If you resmell your clothes on the nextday, you will see what made Shalimar what it was. When I first detected that smell in my wardrobe (I have a tiny room) I literally went bananas where that divine amell came from.
    I will try a big wearing soon, when I have time to enjoy it. It's a bit unsatisfying having to sniff my arm constantly - I like filling the room sometimes.

Guerlainista

For the first time, I've been inspired to add a review to the directory of something I truly love. I took my sniff report above, edited and refined it after a subsequent wearing, and submitted the result as a review of Shalimar in the Basenotes FD.

I've done a couple of reviews of less significant perfumes before, but I've avoided writing anything about ones that I consider truly great until now. I know I'm taking this all too seriously, but I really didn't want to write about my great loves unless I felt I could write something worth reading.

Thanks to all on this thread for your insight and kindness. I couldn't have done it without you. On the other hand, I'm not blaming any of you at all for any ignorance or silliness that may have resulted.

Maybe one of these days I'll work up the nerve to write reviews of Mitsouko, Habit Rouge, and Jicky.

Wearing the Shalimar again now. It's just so... damn... good.