Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Will Creed ever re-release Vetiver 1948...

It is so desired and widely popular that there seems to be a pent-up demand for this fragrance. Might they succumb to this demand and create a new batch?

Default Re: Will Creed ever re-release Vetiver 1948...

Never say never, but unlikely. Glad I already have it.

Not likely that it will be made again, unless the IFRA changes their regulations about what can and can't be put into fragrances. The IFRA regulations are the reason Creed has discontinued so many fragrances, including the '48 Vetiver. They are electing to discontinue many of their classics instead of changing formulas to satisfy IFRA requirements.

These IFRA regulations are affecting the entire fragrance industry adversely, not just Creed.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Not likely that it will be made again, unless the IFRA changes their regulations about what can and can't be put into fragrances. The IFRA regulations are the reason Creed has discontinued so many fragrances, including the '48 Vetiver. They are electing to discontinue many of their classics instead of changing formulas to satisfy IFRA requirements.

These IFRA regulations are affecting the entire fragrance industry adversely, not just Creed.
    Funnily enough, I bumped into Erwin Creed in Milan today and he said the same thing. He said (and I'm paraphrasing) - his dream is to be able to make what they like and ask people to sign a piece of paper when they buy the fragrance to say that they know that it contains x, y, and z.
    Currently wearing: Gardénia by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Funnily enough, I bumped into Erwin Creed in Milan today and he said the same thing. He said (and I'm paraphrasing) - his dream is to be able to make what they like and ask people to sign a piece of paper when they buy the fragrance to say that they know that it contains x, y, and z.
    You'd think this should be possibly. Or simply mark it as "NOT FOR USE ON HUMANS - CONTAINS CARCIOGENIC ALERGENS THAT MAY OR MAY NOT CAUSE SEVERE ILLNESS".

Anyone buying it after that should, for all intents and purposes, not have any complaints to file anywhere.

I'm going to say its unlikely due to not being able to use the old ingredients because of IFRA regulations and not able to use/find the best replacement ingredients.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

As a wearer of Vetiver 1948, I have a comment and a question:

Comment: I never have perceived it to be "so desired and widely popular", as suggested by the OP.

Question: I wonder what in Vetiver 1948 would be non-IFRA compliant? Just curious.

Oh one more comment: honestly, I think the bulk of the discontinued fragrances by Creed weren't extremely popular. I think that is a factor in discontinuing them.
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

Scentsitivity, perhaps among fragrances at large I can agree with you, but among the vetivers, I often see the Creed 1948 version mentioned often and widely as desireable compared to other vetivers. Since vetivers as a class are popular men's fragrances, and since the 1948 version appears, to me at least, to be more favored than Original Vetiver, I would like to see Creed return it to their offerings.

this is a "love at first sniff" fragrance for me, i'm glad i have a decent little stash of it.

eric b

I got a flacon of this from the Creed boutique shortly before it sold out. I'm glad I did. Great stuff. Does anyone know what ingredients in it are restricted now?
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

A couple Saks in Connecticut had a few pieces and a Holt-Renfrew in Toronto, I think, had a couple a few months ago, when I got my backup.

It's a shame Creed can't re-release '48 due to IFRA regulations. Surely, the best vetiver ever created.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

One thing for sure: it can't be the concentration of vetiver that is prohibited. It is certainly not the strongest or most vetiver out there. The vetiver element is rather subdued. That's one thing I enjoy about it.

I received this week an 8ml sample Decant of this wonderful scent. Lot # CJ21X05. Truly a classic.

classic scent, I have a full bottle from a 2008 batch, blows all the other vetiver scents out there...

To me, the 1948 Vetiver is the best fragrance ever made. That's my opinion. I am not convinced as to the real reason for the discontinuance of the fragrance. I have heard all of the official reasons. I have also heard several unofficial reasons. (I would also like to see a 1955 Ford Thunderbird be produced again. I would like to imagine that Ford would sell a ton of these beautiful classics. But we all know that will never happen.)
    Everyone should enjoy their last remaining applications of this fine, old fragrance and not keep it hidden away in a vault.

Does anyone know why Vetiver 48 was discontinued? I'm glad I have enough to get me by for a while. Love all my Creeds. My guess is that it's simply marketing, and nothing more than that, and Erwin is paving the way for the next generation of Creed fragrances. Does anyone speak of original Tabarome from the 1940's in the same context. I think some do, and I've heard that for some people it's better than the new version, and visa versa, and in the end it's all about personal taste.

Quote Originally Posted by PA4455 View Post
    I received this week an 8ml sample Decant of this wonderful scent. Lot # CJ21X05. Truly a classic.
    From where?
    Looking for:

Creed - SMW, MI
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood, Neroli P, Amber
    Amouage - Jubilation
    Acqua di Parma - Essenza
    Molecule 1

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Does anyone know why Vetiver 48 was discontinued? I'm glad I have enough to get me by for a while. Love all my Creeds. My guess is that it's simply marketing, and nothing more than that, and Erwin is paving the way for the next generation of Creed fragrances. Does anyone speak of original Tabarome from the 1940's in the same context. I think some do, and I've heard that for some people it's better than the new version, and visa versa, and in the end it's all about personal taste.

Dude you said it best, it's simply marketing . I was talking to a SA last week who works for Creed, and she said the reason they aren't making it anymore is because they cant get the Vetiver anymore from Haiti. I don't believe anything she told me. It is not one of creeds best seller and they are paving the way for all the new releases. Before you know it, all of the Creed classics will be gone. Horrible marketing and planning by the Creed family for sure..

Dude you said it best, it's simply marketing . I was talking to a SA last week who works for Creed, and she said the reason they aren't making it anymore is because they cant get the Vetiver anymore from Haiti. I don't believe anything she told me. It is not one of creeds best seller and they are paving the way for all the new releases. Before you know it, all of the Creed classics will be gone. Horrible marketing and planning by the Creed family for sure..

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    Can't get the vetiver from Haiti? I have never heard of vetiver as a scarce commodity before!

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Can't get the vetiver from Haiti? I have never heard of vetiver as a scarce commodity before!
    Can't agree more, she has no idea what she was talking about! Creed is all about history, and for them to discontinue many of their classics is a bad move on their part.

I personally am looking forward to all the new creed fragrances of the future. I'm sure from time to time they will release the " Classics " hopefully Creed Vetiver 1948 just as they did recently with Windsor, and a few years ago Tabarome. Creed as we all know is about tradition. If they never discontinued any fragrance I think the quality in the big picture would suffer. Their goal I'm assuming is to stay in the limelite always with new products in years to come. FYI I found a supplier on e-bay selling 8ml of Creed Vetiver 1948 for approximately 32.99. I compared it to the bottle I already own. No problems. Real stuff CJ21X05. Check it out.

Just reading this thread has inspired me to make Vetiver 1948 my SOTD. This one brings a smile to my face every time I reach for it. It is the classiest vetiver out there - so different from Original Vetiver. It's the subtle and integrative use of ginger that gives it a positive, invigorating feel. Another great one by Creed. I'd still like to know how they achieve that mineralic vibe?

Can't get the vetiver from Haiti? I almost choked on that one. Must admit I'm pretty gutted though -- I loved it. I think they are just cutting costs and keeping going the most popular only.

They'll never re-release it without changes as the raw ingredients are just too rare and expensive. Really a shame as it is so gorgeous a scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
    It's a shame Creed can't re-release '48 due to IFRA regulations. Surely, the best vetiver ever created.
    I totally agree, it's one of the classiest scents ever made. Im glad I have a full bottle stashed away for future use. My girlfriend loves it.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally I don't believe it's because of the IFRA regulations. Is it a coincidence that all their classics have now been discontinued? (Santal Imperial, Royal Delight, Royal English Leather, Windsor etc). I believe it was due to poor sales and Creeds strategy to push for their modern releases.
    Last edited by checker; 16th July 2012 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankel View Post
    To me, the 1948 Vetiver is the best fragrance ever made. Everyone should enjoy their last remaining applications of this fine, old fragrance and not keep it hidden away in a vault.
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    I totally agree, it's one of the classiest scents ever made. Im glad I have a full bottle stashed away for future use. My girlfriend loves it.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally I don't believe it's because of the IFRA regulations. Is it a coincidence that all their classics have now been discontinued? (Santal Imperial, Royal Delight, Royal English Leather, Windsor etc). I believe it was due to poor sales and Creeds strategy to push for their modern releases.
    I'm with Checker. I like Vetiver '48 a lot. So do many here. But the truth is we do not represent the mainstream frag purchasers in here. Vetiver '48 is wonderful but it takes a certain appreciation of fragrance to "get it." I fear the average purchaser of high end frags like Creed would just smell it and dismiss it as "old mannish."

A part IFRA rules, a lot of people buy creeds like aventus, smw and all the other newest!! The truth is that the best creeds are discontinued...I love vetiver 48, cypres musc, fdtrb, tabarome, crd, epicea, rel and rsl!! ((