Code of Conduct

Default The Barbershop..."The Beginning of a Journey" - Where Did Your Love For Fragrance Begin ?????

The Beginning of a Journey...

I was in Saks the other day and fortunately for me, I have an outstanding SA. He is actually there Bond Rep. as well and is very knowledgeable. I really enjoy talking with him, and not just about the Bond Line but about any fragrance. Well, he asked me a question that I was very happy to answer and discuss...Where do you think your love for fragrance began? With no hesitation I answered, I guess I would have to say my Grandfathers Barbershop when I was young child. I proceeded to explain many of my fondest memories of him and his barbershop. There were an abundance of wonderful aromas in his shop. I enjoyed that conversation immensely and I will never forget its impact.

Later on I was thinking about it, realizing I had never really thought about 'Where Did This Journey Begin'. I have simply always enjoyed cologne and have been wearing it and aromatic hair products (pomade, tonics, creams, etc.) since I was a child. This conversation brought about a very enjoyable awareness and a crystal clear trip back in time opening the door to some of my fondest and most wonderful memories.

So, I ask it of you. Where Did Your Love For Fragrance Begin ?????

Default Re: The Barbershop..."The Beginning of a Journey" - Where Did Your Love For Fragrance Begin ?????

In the back seat of a 1988 Ford Mustang GT. I think mine started at the fragrance counters at the mall. When my girlfriends would be trying on clothes or what not, I'd pass the time by sniffing the testers. After awhile I started realizing that I really enjoyed smelling new fragrances and wondering what notes made them smell like they did. I compare fragrances to books in that each one has a different story to tell.
    Last edited by silentrich; 30th March 2012 at 07:17 PM.

Default Re: The Barbershop..."The Beginning of a Journey" - Where Did Your Love For Fragrance Begin ?????

My love for fragrance started many years ago when I lived in France, and friends got me interested in it.

Banned

I can still, to this day, remember oh those wonderful Saturday evenings, when my mother would ready to go out with my father for some "alone time." She smelled so glorious and beautiful. I think those lovely memories were the basis for my delight with fragrances, and my impetus to capture an alluring air.

Good thread!
    Once I felt too tired of wearing cheap DENIM and OLD SPICE aftershaves and decided I want a bottle of something good. My parents made me a gift of CROSSMEN by Coty and I sort of liked it.
    After that I got interested in some physical workout set in Men's Health (Russian Edition). Listing through the issue I noticed some "new cologne" reviews and got interested. Though the read contained mostly usual marketing BS of the time, I was curious about those top, heart and base "accords", and about specific "notes" of flowers, woods, leaves etc I never heard of before.
    In a week or so I bought myself Clinique Happy FM (it won in competition with Yohji Homme, btw).
    Later came RL Romance FM, Gucci Envy FM... and Russian fragrance forums and Basenotes Yahoo! Group.
    I can say I started really appreciate fragrances a bit later... about in a year, with Vetiver Guerlain and Jaipur Homme.

Regards, Odor.

Sur la Plage

Growing up, I was just always infatuated with the fragrances that were worn by the others members of my family - my father, my mother and my older sister.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

once my dad was sleeping and i was curious to explore his drawer for potential unique items since he was a banker at the time...i saw a bottle of givency gentleman (it was late 1990s).....i loved the name gentleman and then smelled it and was blown away (though was still a teenager)...my father also had a habit of overspraying and everytime he would wear it before going to office, i would keep sniffing the air..btw, my sister hated the fragrance with all passion...

Even if I told this story a couple of times before, I simply enjoy bringing it up again:

It was my 14th birthday and apart from my friends and family, some elderly friends of my folks where invited.
    Among them, a distinguished old gentleman having lived quite a dandified life in Paris (completely with various lady-friends, gambling debts, elegant clothes etc.) and his birthday present for me was the scent Salvador Dali pour Homme (1987).
    And, even if this scent was way to mature at the age where generic scents are supposed to get compliments, I liked it just the same and wore it repeatedly, with increasing joy. I was also of the same age - that is, 14 - when I first bought the first book specialized on fragrance, and 15-16 years old at most when I started purchasing designer scents on a more or less regular, as well as cost-intensive, basis.

It comes from fond memories of my father wearing Polo, Pino Silvestre and Paco Rabanne. I got "hooked" as a kid I guess around 1985-1986 when I started wearing his fragrances. He has passed away but his love toward frangrances was something that marked my life forever. Gracias mi tata!
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

It was when my then girlfriend bought my a bottle of Hilfiger Est 1985 (she admitted that she picked the least daring one she found, in order not to put me off) that I realised that I enjoy perfume, but it was when i discovered BN that all hell broke loose...

Yes, great thread.

I believe my love of smells comes from two sources: 1) my maternal grandfather's work with and around horses (may sound dopey, but I remember him coming in from the barn smelling like hay, soap, and saddles and me loving it); and 2) campfires.
    Last edited by Grungevig; 30th March 2012 at 09:33 PM.

When my folks went out to dinner and left me alone. I decided to smell my mothers perfumes.
    Got in a lot of trouble having "wasted" her bottle of guerlain she bought in France
    Opps! Who knew years later I would still enjoy smelling beautiful things
    mom

Basenotes Junkie

Something similar to dollars&scents (you write the best reviews, by the way!). I can still vividly remember my dad putting on his perfume in the morning, disappearing out the door for work - with the scent still lingering in the hallway where I said good bye to him. I can't have been more than four or five - but I can still remember the waft of CK Eternity.

After that I forgot about it for a long time - fragrances being no more than top notes to me. But come autumn / winter 2011, a very good friend of mine started collecting, and I got to smell his Aventus. My mind was blown, and he taught me about mid / base notes etc. I was just awestruck, and everything from my dad and the great memories just came back.

Now I own several creeds, Original Vetiver being one of my favorites because dad used to wear it. I got him Green Irish Tweed for his birthday this February, and while visiting him at the office today I complimented him on it.

Great thread, OP! Fragrances are all about memories to me (as well as smelling great, obviously).

Spending the summers with my fav uncle in the 70's in his corvette and various other sports cars. He always had the latest cologne of the day and to me as a young lad was the "coolest" guy I ever knew. His musk and spices still bring back fond memories.

My big brother was the person who got me into fragrances

I still remember him using Lagerfeld Classic, Pierre Cardin Pour Homme, Boucheron Pour Homme and what not - and me thinking 'WoW, holy cow what's that smelling so nice'
    I asked him for help and advice, and quickly discovered he only used it to impress the girls.
    Nothing wrong in trying to impress the opposite gender, but to me frags was about something more than just that......you have to be a basenoter to understand that, I guess.

I was a teenager, maybe 13-14 years old and was not even thinking about girls at that time - but that did change a couple of years later

I then started to visit the local perfume stores and had my mother help me find the frags. We travelled a lot to France and - this being before the internet - I bought a lot of stuff at the duty free shops and always looked forward to going to Southern France just to pick up new fragrances in Nice/Cannes/Monaco and in the duty free shops.

I quickly got a 30-40 bottle collection by the time I was 16.17 year old, but for some reason stopped there, because I discovered people around me thought it was a bit weird for a guy to be kind of obsessed with fragrances. I also found out my big brother almost only used his fragrances to impress the girls, not for his own enjoyment, and that disappointed me a bit, since he was the guy who inspired me to start sniffing fragrances in the first place

I then settled for a 3-4 bottle EDT collection, mostly rotating between Azzaro PH, Chanel frags, YSL frags and a bit of D&G, Versace, Boss & stuff like that and lived happily with that for 20 years.

Then my second revival came in August last year.
    For some reason, even though Gillette Fusion/Mach3/Sensor have given me PERFECT skin healthy shaves for 12-15 years, I felt the need to explore the Double Edge, DE, side of things. Bought a Mühle DE razor, A Feather DE razor, a couple of Silvertip badger brushes and some mugs and 20+ shaving creams and found out that Taylor of Old Bond, Trumper, Penhaligon, Edwin Jagger, Truefitt & Hill, Santa Maria Novella, Acqua Di Parma & Castle Forbes not only makes excellent shaving creams but also makes frags/EDT's.
    I ordered some testers and upon first sniff I was taken back to my fragrance lust 20 years earlier in life AND I WAS HOOKED ONCE AGAIN

Searched online, and found base notes and fragrantica - then looked for good online dealers - ordered 4 bottles in my first order, 12 bottles in my second and 42 bottles in my third order and found myself intrigued by these 'new' fragrances in my life !
    Last edited by CHSeifert; 30th March 2012 at 09:46 PM.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    My big brother was the person who got me into fragrances

I still remember him using Lagerfeld Classic, Pierre Cardin Pour Homme, Boucheron Pour Homme and what not - and me thinking 'WoW, holy cow what's that smelling so nice'
    I asked him for help and advice, and quickly discovered he only used it to impress the girls.
    Nothing wrong in trying to impress the opposite gender, but to me frags was about something more than just that......you have to be a basenoter to understand that, I guess.

I was a teenager, maybe 13-14 years old and was not even thinking about girls at that time - but that did change a couple of years later

I then started to visit the local perfume stores and had my mother help me find the frags. We travelled a lot to France and - this being before the internet - I bought a lot of stuff at the duty free shops and always looked forward to going to Southern France just to pick up new fragrances in Nice/Cannes/Monaco and in the duty free shops.

I quickly got a 30-40 bottle collection by the time I was 16.17 year old, but for some reason stopped there, because I discovered people around me thought it was a bit weird for a guy to be kind of obsessed with fragrances. I also found out my big brother almost only used his fragrances to impress the girls, not for his own enjoyment, and that disappointed me a bit, since he was the guy who inspired me to start sniffing fragrances in the first place

I then settled for a 3-4 bottle EDT collection, mostly rotating between Azzaro PH, Chanel frags, YSL frags and a bit of D&G, Versace, Boss & stuff like that and lived happily with that for 20 years.

Then my second revival came in August last year.
    For some reason, even though Gillette Fusion/Mach3/Sensor have given me PERFECT skin healthy shaves for 12-15 years, I felt the need to explore the Double Edge, DE, side of things. Bought a Mühle DE razor, A Feather DE razor, a couple of Silvertip badger brushes and some mugs and 20+ shaving creams and found out that Taylor of Old Bond, Trumper, Penhaligon, Edwin Jagger, Truefitt & Hill, Santa Maria Novella, Acqua Di Parma & Castle Forbes not only makes excellent shaving creams but also makes frags/EDT's.
    I ordered some testers and upon first sniff I was taken back to my fragrance lust 20 years earlier in life AND I WAS HOOKED ONCE AGAIN

Searched online, and found base notes and fragrantica - then looked for good online dealers - ordered 4 bottles in my first order, 12 bottles in my second and 42 bottles in my third order and found myself intrigued by these 'new' fragrances in my life !
    most interesting story so far!

From childhood, initially...my grandfather wore Old Spice...dad wore Canoe...mom wore Estee Lauder...my barber doused me with Pinaud Clubman cologne and talc...then there was English Leather and Brut as a teen...and then Polo as a young adult..it's been a very enjoyable lifelong experience.

When my Dad gave my first "serious" EdT, Signor Ricci 1. I was 12

My most memorable fragrance experience was in 5th grade elementary. I remember taking my dads splash bottle of Preferred Stock and wearing so much that they actually took my bottle away and had to have my parents go to the school and pick it up. Since then I always remember wearing something like body sprays or cheap colognes like Stetson, Gravity, Aspen, Avatar, etc...
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

Quote Originally Posted by fazilicious View Post
    most interesting story so far!
    Thanks, glad you liked it
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

I guess it all started by swiping little splashes of my older brothers Hai Karate. He Had A JOB! I was in the fifth or sixth grade. With that juice my pals all called me Lucky! Look were I am now.

I must have been born with it. I always appreciated the fragrances I got as a kid for Christmas. Canoe, Old Spice, Mennen Musk after shave (got it far before I shaved) and even some Pierre Cardin talcum powder. What I really loved about fragrances was they way they would take me back to an earlier time. I felt like I was being spiritually transported when I would revisit some of these scents. They were time in a bottle for me. I remember talking about it as a kid and my mother said to me, "You are a dominant old factory". Of course that's just how I remember it sounding when she said it. Then I would like to go try on what my father had which was usually Hermes D'Orange Verte, which has a special place in my heart for this reason. So it really started when I was very young.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

Its actually kind of funny. I got into fragrances to impress a girl that worked in the perfume shop around the corner from me. Even though she never gave me the time of day I began to go to the shop to talk to her. After going in there a few times and finding out that even though this girl was gorgeous she was dull and boring I focused my interest a little more on the shop itself, it always smelled so good in there. I remember asking the advice of female co-workers instead of this attractive simpleton. After multiple trips there my first real love was Armani Black Code. I guess, looking back Code does trigger a lot of fond memories for me none of which include the beautiful girl that worked around the corner.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

I always wore cologne since Jr. High but I always wore cheap colognes like Preferred Stock and Aspen with the occasional "nice" one like Nautica Competition and Curve. I'd say my love for fragrance began the first time I smelled Armani Acqua Di Gio 5 years ago. I had never smelled something so nice before that. I didn't know anything about cologne but I knew that I wanted to smell like that. I bought a bottle of it and I've been in love with fragrances ever since. Of course I've moved on to "better" frags than ADG, but it was the gateway fragrance that got me into this hobby.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    I can still, to this day, remember oh those wonderful Saturday evenings, when my mother would ready to go out with my father for some "alone time." She smelled so glorious and beautiful. I think those lovely memories were the basis for my delight with fragrances, and my impetus to capture an alluring air.
    Aah thats wonderful. When I have kids, I'm going to do the same.

Years ago I owned a bottle of Drakkar Noir that I occasionally used, but only when I felt like I needed to wear some cologne (dates and such.)

What got me into fragrances was Rive Gauche PH. Recommended as (you guessed it) a barbershop fragrance. Then I popped into the local L'Occitane and bought their Vetyver and (the sadly discontinued) Eau des 4 Voleurs. The rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by MJM_77 View Post
    I got into fragrances to impress a girl
    +1. My first fragrance was recommended by a female friend who I consulted (Cool Water, she said). Don't quite remember why but explored further.

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Really nice!

For me, it comes from very early memories. Sitting in a Greek church with my grandmother, surrounded by impeccably dressed Greek women in furs - their perfume mixing with the priest's incense. Walking around Harrods perfume hall with my mother. A favourite relative's bottles of Brut and those other early 70s aftershaves. Much later, walking into the Penhaligon's shop in Covent Garden for the first time. I've only very recently approached fragrance as something that I might wear regularly - before, it has always been about ambience and impressions of places and things I've experienced.

For me it's quite recent. Last year I starrted swimming in the mornings and I got sick of going to work smelling like chlorine. I decided I needed to buy a good cologne, and researched the matter on BN. Here I found out all about splits, samples, niche fragrances, buying online and all the rest. You people have been my downfall.

I read a long fragrance thread on another forum and ordered some samples of whatever seemed to get lots of mentions and praise. The first order I placed with luckyscent included a bunch from Tauer, L'Artisan and Comme Des Garcons. I feel as though I got into it backwards: niche and avant-garde are very familiar, now I want to try all the classic designer releases.

I enjoy reading historical fiction about the aristocratic class. There was references to fragrances worn by the lords and ladies which piqued my interest. After blind buying Cartiers Declaration I was hooked.

When I wore my Dads fragrance and started getting compliments from girls lol.