Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: March Blind Sniff -- Orient Express: The Red Line

Still up. Di d we rule out Dior? Did we rule in feminine?
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Weirdness, huffing the damp cotton ball in the ZiplocŪ bag I'm getting cherry pipe tobacco (unlit)———? Really?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have just gotten in a PM THE HOTTEST EVER guess on C from the spectator BellaRose. Yay, BellaRose for nailing down the house and for not getting the fragrance name, but getting as close to it as one only can in this case.
    If she keeps going, I expect the correct guess on C from her any minute now!

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Here, we have not heard from Ju yet, but -- and Warum is probably going to kill me for that next -- a handkerchief from Agatha Christie's book comes to play at some point.

Saripatates, in the set of notes I have got here I read both labdanum and amber listed.
    Absolutely not going to kill you, Wolfie! As a co-host, you have revealing rights for sure and I needed to do this as well. So the train is rolling and all is good.
    Was good to hear how you've come to know C and to hear the Dia connection. To me Dia and C are definitely marked by their own place in time, if you know what I mean. I love both. I adore C. I love Dia.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    sort of in the middle of a cloud of floral, rosy chypres and non-sweet semiorientals (where the oriental labels is not because of vanilla or rich ambers, but more because of a all-included feel).

In any case, back to the clues, I had seen the movie years ago and forgot the details, so a quick browsing seems to indicate that the handkerchief has the letter H for Helena Goldberg, now countess Andrenyi, which explains why she smudged the H from her passport - so as to appear as her name was Elena. I remembered something having to do with Russian and the letter N, but I must be mixing up movies.
    You are NOT mixing up movies, and even if you don't know about Russian letter N, you have already figured out that count Andrenyi had tried to conceal the first letter of countess Helena's name, and this is a huge breakthrough. "Rosy chypres" and "everything included" are wonderful observations as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post

So, what keeps this from being a chypre? I did a side by side with vintage Chypre de Coty and feel they are at least cousins.
    According to Fragrantica, nothing. It lists it within a chypre category, and the fragrance DOES have bergamot and amber/labdanum listed among the notes. I have notes from two sources, and one lists just amber and another lists both.

My SotD today was Miss Balmain—it's how I keep ornery high-schoolers at bay—and there is a match on leather notes. Miss B is not a chypre, I think its classified as woody fragrance. I agree on the quinoline, galbanum, and I detect rose at the outset. I'm sniffing right now, about 15 minutes in and get something anisic or herbal, some resin, and some incense. It is not as austere as Chanel_in my most limited experience. Now that oily thing—rosewood?
    Time to confirm some notes (not all that were mentioned but all the ones that came up multiple times and the ones I remember).
    Galbanum, yes (bravo, Sari!).
    Bergamot, yes.
    Labdanum in one source.
    Amber, yes.
    Incense, yes.
    Rose, yes.
    Cacio, bravo for hyacinth -- yes.

I think this is all I have for now

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Still up. Di d we rule out Dior? Did we rule in feminine?
    And I think these are the great questions the sniffers haven't answered yet! S. mentioned that C could be an old man's fragrance in Turkey, and cacio mentioned that C would be right up your alley, but did not make claims about who it's marketed for (correct me if I'm wrong).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    I think this is all I have for now
    -- But no, it's not! I just remembered that I needed to recognize one more note mentioned by Saripatates -- indolic jasmine, yes!

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

So glad I peeked before going to bed—unless, of course, this keeps me up another hour!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So glad I peeked before going to bed—unless, of course, this keeps me up another hour!
    It just might did you check your email?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OMG, and BellaRose submits the correct guess via PM!!
    Congratulations, BellaRose, the expert sleuth! An impressive turn of events!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have you heard me going on and on about that hot guess that BellaRose submitted in a PM? (post #123, the one with many big reveals).
    RingER has just submitted the same guess! Yay, RingER! Congratulations!

I will be here a little longer, but the long day is taking its toll and I will be going to bed in an hour or so.
    Much love to sniffers and spectators and to my co-host TWolf -- you are all awesome, without you we won't be having fun tonight. I will check at least one more time before retiring to bed.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Still having trouble believing I got it right after a few incorrect guesses, I've never tried to guess a perfume based on scent descriptions, notes & clues before. This thread is so much fun! I'm a big fan of Agatha Christie's books & the clues lead the way to the house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BellaRose View Post
    Still having trouble believing I got it right after a few incorrect guesses, I've never tried to guess a perfume based on scent descriptions, notes & clues before. This thread is so much fun! I'm a big fan of Agatha Christie's books & the clues lead the way to the house.
    -- Hear, hear!

... and RingER has just retraced BellaRose's steps and also correctly identified C! Congratulations, RingER, I will be looking forward to reading your ideas in April sniff -- BellaRose, maybe you would like to join RingER and mumsy as sniffers in April? Saripatates will host and TWolf co-host (like she did this time).

Upd.: alrighty, y'all. nite nite. cannot keep my eyes open any more. See you all tomorrow morning! (West coast morning, that is).
    Last edited by Warum; 5th April 2012 at 06:13 AM. Reason: going to bed!

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning here, from the middle of the corn sticks. I will be home until 4 pm (Central) -- 2 pm Warum's and 5 pm Cacio's time.

Off to check PMs, I have got 6.

Post Thanks / Like

Allready then: we have got the correct guess from another spectator -- Haunani-- she read the book, I suppose, and knew what we were talking about, alphabet-wise.

Post Thanks / Like

Ju, neither the house of Dior, not the feminines in general have been confirmed or ruled out.

Now, I guess, I will confirm that C is a feminine scent, but it is quite pleasant on a right man's skin too: it is not very sweet or fluffy.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually thought guessing Vial C would be a breeze when I first smelled it... Blind sniffs always serve you a slice of humble pie.

Post Thanks / Like

Saripatates has just submitted his final guess -- and guess what? -- a wonderfully correct one!

Post Thanks / Like

time and time again the name came up in fragrantica searches, but I skipped it for some reason.
    well, at least my nose did better than my brain.

Post Thanks / Like

We have got developments in C -- cacio has just sent us a correct guess.

Jujy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good morning, y'all!

I see many PMs in my inbox and I also have my congratulations for Saripatates and Cacio! Thank you for playing, you have got it and hopped off the final destination of this fragrant Red Line! I was amazed with your noses and how much individual notes you were able to sniff in a fragrance I can only describe as "ooohhhhh" and "aaahhhhh". Hats off to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Jujy and the spectators! You guys can ask us questions if you want to -- we will do whatever to bring you closer.

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    I actually thought guessing Vial C would be a breeze when I first smelled it... Blind sniffs always serve you a slice of humble pie.
    So true Sari!! It's a part of the experience, isn't it? But I have to tell you, from the outside looking in, that all the players in this sniff have impressed the heck out of me!

Post Thanks / Like

H., thanks for supporting us and encouraging our sniffers.

We have got the PM from cacio -- it was his first time sniffing blind -- and our sniff is encouraging him to write more reviews. I have to jump on the same band wagon and start writing reviews too, the only thing is that I change my mind so often (whore-rible, I know).

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

(whore-rible, I know).
    LOLz

This has been fun. Many thanks to our good-natured hosts and my cordial co-sniffers. And the spectators cheering us on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

And I have received a correct guess from Jujy!

Time to reveal.
    Unless there's another spectator lurking in here who would like to send me a guess before I reveal. if you are -- please do! I am waiting for a half an hour or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Good.

We were sort of quick, weren't we?

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, now what do we do! :P

I'd like to thank to all those involved in the sniff and congratulate my co-sniffers for an excellent job.
    I still can't believe how we managed to guess vial B

Warum and twolf, while it drove me slightly mad it was a great theme. I had fun.
    I love classics, I love chypre and I still can't stand mediocrity and liquid desserts. These are the things I've already known, but it's good to confirm them. Also, I guess I should stop overthinking things.

please share these hugs among yourselves:

(((((((((((((((((
    )))))))))))))))))

Post Thanks / Like

W's is the first line, mine is the second.

Signed,
    Togogirl

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good.

We were sort of quick, weren't we?
    Quick at guessing? I should say so!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So, the official reveal:

The sample C was the last stop in Paris, yes, the Red Line took us all the way there, and we got to the place of luxurious fragrances and purses, the house of Hermes. The time also played tricks on us, since the fragrance from the sample C is not available any more. To sniff a discontinued perfume is a bittersweet experience unique and dear to any perfumista's heart, and for this sniff this experience was generously sponsored by TWolf. By her willingness to share, she made the time stop for you and encapsulated it in the vial. So, sample C is Parfum d'Hermes (1984) and its newer incarnation bears the name Rouge which goes together with the Red Line very nicely.

The handkercheif clue and the greasy stain in the passport clue pointed to the house of Hermes in several ways. Princess Natalia handkerchief bore her initial (which should be N, right?) IN RUSSIAN. And a Russian letter N looks just like... and H! Hercules Poirot saw right into the heart of the matter.

The same incriminating letter H starts the name of countess Helena Andrenyi -- and that was exactly the letter we were trying to point to, while her husband was trying to conceal by planting the greasy stain on her passport and re-gluing the label on her bag so that it covers up the first letter of her name. That left them with Elena -- and us with another clue to the today's in-house perfumer for Hermes.

A letter H in a wreath of laurels is displayed on the top of many Hermes fragrances.

I have two sets of notes for Parfum d'Hermes --
    Fragrantica
    Top notes:
    Aldehydes
    Hyacinth
    Bergamot
    Galbanum

Middle notes:
    Iris
    Ylang-ylang
    Rose
    Jasmine

Base notes:
    Spices
    Sandalwood
    Amber
    Incense
    Vanilla
    Vetiver
    Cedar
    Myrrh

Notes from the Perfumed Court:
    Aldehydes, bergamot, galbanum, hyacinth,
    Egyptian jasmine, Florentine iris, Nossi-be ylang-ylang, Bulgarian rose,
    labdanum, Cedarwood, vetiver, sandalwood, amber, spices, incense, myrrh, and vanilla.

My thanks:
    Thank you so much, sniffers! You were impressive noses, great sleuths, and total fun! Your playing means everything. Thank you for willing to sniff and extend your knowledge of fragrances even if it does sometimes extend you more than you thought you would enjoy!
    Thank you spectators -- the game wouldn't have been the same without you. Your playing in the C round in particular was just marvelous!

And finally, thank you TWolf -- as I mentioned before, I wanted an Agatha Christie theme and Wolfie made it possible with her guidance, generous sharing of ideas, fragrance, time, and patience. Thank you -- I've learned a lot planning this together with you

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to both of you for our magisterial organization and direction of this blind sniff. It was a lot of fun! The clues were very clever. Without clues, it would have been a little bit like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack, but the clues made us use our brains in a more creative way. Thank-you so much again!

I had not smelled any of the perfumes, so that was interesting in itself. In retrospect, the easiest was Loukoum, simply because it has the clearest structure (whether good or bad is another matter). The other two are too generic members or their class (cheap mainstream and chi-chi designer), identifiable only because of the clues and (in the case of pdh) for the kitchen sink list of notes. I'm always happy to smell vintage. Luca Turin harshly criticizes Rouge (which I have not smelled); PdH doesn't deserve this, it is pleasant and with quality ingredients. But like its successor, it suffers for being a little bit of everything, chypre-ish rosy flowers cum resins, with no spark of individuality (save for a very brief oily top, whether hyacinth or thick bergamot).

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to both of you for our magisterial organization and direction of this blind sniff. It was a lot of fun! The clues were very clever. Without clues, it would have been a little bit like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack, but the clues made us use our brains in a more creative way. Thank-you so much again!

I had not smelled any of the perfumes, so that was interesting in itself. In retrospect, the easiest was Loukoum, simply because it has the clearest structure (whether good or bad is another matter). The other two are too generic members or their class (cheap mainstream and chi-chi designer), identifiable only because of the clues and (in the case of pdh) for the kitchen sink list of notes. I'm always happy to smell vintage. Luca Turin harshly criticizes Rouge (which I have not smelled); PdH doesn't deserve this, it is pleasant and with quality ingredients. But like its successor, it suffers for being a little bit of everything, chypre-ish rosy flowers cum resins, with no spark of individuality (save for a very brief oily top, whether hyacinth or thick bergamot).

cacio

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Loved the Lokhoum! Thanks for the chance to explore new olfactory sensations. Here's what's odd: after a week "out of my element"—that element being good old civet—I put on some Antilope and was jarred by its relatively discreet dose of skank. Helps me understand why new BNers can occasionally register shock.

Best of luck to the April hosts and sniffers.

What a strange coincidence! Today I stopped by Neiman Marcus and tried Hermes Rouge!

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I really loved following along with you all & I totally loved the Agatha Christie/Orient Express theme. Well done, everyone!

I'm curious to know if any of the sniffers or host/co-host got a Heaven Sent vibe from Loukhoum Parfum du Soir especially in the middle & drydown phases. When I tested this perfume I was really surprised by that Heaven Sent but better vibe I got from the KM scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Warum asked me nicely, and if I do not feel too much pressure I will do things generously. It was the last drops of my PdH that you guys got to sniff, but I am not mourning the loss -- I have comfortably got both Dia and Rouge now (and consider Rouge a significant improvement over PdH's oily aldehydes and non-descript kitchen-skink (thanks, cacio!) drydown) and the most Guerlain-esque one of the whole Hermes lineup (Chamade once again comes to mind) with more pronounced rose-iris and resins-vanilla combos that wear kindly on this skin. W. asked me like 5 times if I was absolutely positively sure about its inclusion into the sniff -- I guess she realized how rare and impossible to replace it would be -- and I was determined.

This sniff has been wonderfully different and differently wonderful: I particularly appreciate the level of thinking you guys all brought into the sniffs -- I am absolutely positively against the passive unfriendliness, i.e. without the actual hostility -- that's why I'd rather teach at the University than a kindergarten -- manifesting itself through note by note (achingly dull!) discussions, short answers and quick solutions. Who wants any fragrance dissected and reeking of formaldehyde like some butchered frog? Not me! Sometimes I feel vulgar and naked if there is too much note analysis. I ultimately want it happy (excluding everything that does not fit the narrow spectrum of my likes), just like the rest of you.

Jujy, you are vulnerable and at the same time fearless, the combination I find irresistible in women. Please jump in into the most difficult discussions, I will read your comments with interest. You have passed the test of your savoir-faire.

3Potatoes, you always find something to comment on, be surprised by, moan about, or, perhaps, most importantly, agree with! We sniffed blindly together last year, and I know that you know what I know, if you know what I am talking about. LOL Keiko Mecheri seems to be breathing heavily into the back of your neck, does not she, following you around? But!!!!!!!!!! You know what it also means? That you are further ahead! LOL

Cacio, do leave reviews. On so many an occasion I find that you and me are thinking along the same lines (and even of the same book!), it is practically insane. You are alive, you know? I am not saying bad things about fragrances, unrounded, immature, boring, etc. -- we feel the same way -- there are many out there whose full value and appeal yet elude me, ersatzes whose role in life is to make every other scent in the world smell better in comparison. You have your way with the words, simple but not droopy, they are elegant and intricate loveliness out of your mouth.

Thanks all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

TWolfie,
    God, of course I did realize that, that's why I asked all these times, and maybe one of these times I made clear why I was asking

Curious: which Rouge do you have -- in a new tower bottle (like Hiris, etc.) or in an old, round one with an indentation inside?

And Darkdreams, how did you like Rouge?

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Twolf, I think most of my family would be laughing root beer out their noses at the vulnerable part, but you are indeed onto something. I used to describe my late mom as a rock wrapped in marshmallow, while my dad was marshmallow inside a rock. Friends know me as a loudmouthed introvert; really, aren't we each one of us a bundle of alluring contradictions, much like the sweet yet dangerous Lokhoum Parfum du Soir? To carry the metaphor over to fragrance, we are each our own pyramid, over time we discover ours and one another's top, middle, and base notes. Thanks for kind words. XXXOOO

Post Thanks / Like

Twolf, I don't know how I should feel after those remarks but I'm smiling so I guess it's not something bad
    I also saw cacio in a different light. Great reviews and more importantly for me, similar thoughts about the fragrances. It's always good to have such reviewers when arranging the "to-sample" list. Do post more in the directory please.

I think that parfum d'hermes is neither here nor there, and I like focused fragrances better. While I love the chypre family, and while it was the best of the bunch, I have better fragrances than that at hand, new and old. I'm glad to have no desire to look for any of the fragrances I've smelled.

See you guys in the April sniff. Don't have high expectations please

Many congratulations to all the sniffers and, of course, to the hosts. I could not watch as closely as I wanted to but I tried to catch up with everything. I loved the theme and the format of the sniff.

Warum, there is a Neiman Marcus on my way back from work, but I rarely stop by. Yesterday I did, probably because of some telepathic waves from BN. I noticed they had a bottle of Hiris. Unfortunately it was just a tester and they did not have the perfume in stock. Then I noticed Rouge and tried it on paper. I loved it so much. Unfortunately the blotter got too close to another one -Bel Ami- and they both got contaminated. I will make sure to go back next week and perhaps I will ask them to make me a very tiny sample. The sales assistant there seem very nice but they kept pushing me to smell what they wanted (something from Cartier, Noir de Noir and one from Houbigant they I could not stand at all).

Anyway, you guys had such a nice game here. I am already looking forward to the next one.

Last edited by darkdreams; 6th April 2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: double post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

To carry the metaphor over to fragrance, we are each our own pyramid, over time we discover ours and one another's top, middle, and base notes. Thanks for kind words. XXXOOO
    (I am a shy introvert who most of the time acts as if she's not, and then the tiredness takes its toll.)
    And I love your fragrance pyramid metaphor. How well said!

Darkdreams, yes, it is definitely worth a sample!