Code of Conduct

Default Windsor or Royal Oud?

In my opinion, they are both fantastic fragrances. But, due to their higher than average cost, I must choose between one or the other for purchase. Which has greater longevity? And which, in your opinion, is the superior frag?
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

Default Re: Windsor or Royal Oud?

I would steer you toward Windsor as much as I love RO. I think Windsor is a bit more versatile and can be used all year in any situation. Also, given the fact that it won't be around much longer, whereas RO has an open-ended run. Longevity is about the same for me.

I'd vote Windsor. As noted, no telling how long it will be around. It's quite unique and indeed very versatile. Not as dramatic as Royal Oud. Vastly different scents, it will interesting to see where you come down.

I tend to think Royal Oud will have better longevity. Windsor does wear a bit lightly.

another vote for Windsor, there is better oud available than the RO - besides you can layer an oud w/ Windsor & = RO fairly easily .... in my opinion that mix is what royal oud is anyway.

Windsor

Windsor. And I have both as well.

Sur la Plage

Windsor >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Royal Dud
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Windsor!

I like Royal Oud much more than Windsor. Royal Oud seems more fleshed out and expansive than Windsor and I liked dense woods more than pine/eucalyptus/green rose.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    another vote for Windsor, there is better oud available than the RO - besides you can layer an oud w/ Windsor & = RO fairly easily .... in my opinion that mix is what royal oud is anyway.
    I tried layering RO with Windsor. 2 sprays of Windsor over 3 base sprays of RO. Surprisingly Windsor dominates this mix quite easily and totally subsumes RO...
    -

eh, if you want oud, go get the real stuff. Windsor's quite unique although I do happen to like Creed's take on Oud, but I just don't know how versatile it is.

what about getting just the juice from a split and then you can get both?
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Costa Azzura,
    Neroli Portofino,
    Plum Japonais, Lavender Palm and
    AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Basenotes Member

I own RO as well and love it. However I love Windsor just a bit more. Imwould point you toward Windsor.

It depends on whether you want to smell like a man, or a metrosexual dandy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I like Royal Oud much more than Windsor. Royal Oud seems more fleshed out and expansive than Windsor and I liked dense woods more than pine/eucalyptus/green rose.
    Me too. I like Windsor, and think that it excels in its class, but that type of scent is simply lower on my love list than spicy woods and ambers. Royal Oud has some magic moments that are truly captivating. There is also something which I find an interesting parallel to Windsor. Both scents have a unique eccentricity - in the case of Windsor, it's the eucalyptus, and in the case of Royal Oud, it's the oud. They both use an almost noncommital odd note which seems out of place in the overall fragrance at first, but the note makes sense as you stick with it. I like that, and think it's both daring and cunning.

Which one to buy? R... W..... Dior Homme Intense Silver Collar Vintage!

Windsor

If I had to choose, I'd go Windsor. I like RO but Windsor is more pleasantly unique.

Martin
    Last edited by Jazznpool; 16th October 2011 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I tried layering RO with Windsor. 2 sprays of Windsor over 3 base sprays of RO. Surprisingly Windsor dominates this mix quite easily and totally subsumes RO...
    Have any pressed oud juice handy ?

Windsor for me also!!!
    Gary

Windsor by a landslide in my opinion

Royal Oud is like a quieter Windsor with a bit of woods and a touch of Oudh. If you are curious as to what Windsor smells like, Royal Oud is close.

Of course, the INGREDIENTS of Windsor are superior in terms of rarity; I suspect Creed's profit margin is rather thin for that product. Windsor won't come around again for a long time.

For longevity, RO wins on me. Versatility...Windsor wins.

RO almost requires a suit. It nearly smells like money. Currency is a bit "dirty", so if you are not looking your most attractive, others may think you have body odor issues. Royal Oud would definitely go well with some facial stubble, a tan, and -- if you can pull it off -- longer hair. Think David Duchovny...or David Copperfield. Just remember, dress up a little and have CONFIDENCE (walk around like you "own" your fragrance) so others don't mistake your scent for questionable hygiene.

Technically Windsor is better, but for my personal preferences & purpose, its Royal Oud.

Windsor

Royal Oud, IMO.
    Looking to swap…look for my thread on the trade page. May be interested in buying Amouage. Having fun with shower gels. If you want to get rid of yours or swap for frags, give me a shout!

For me, RO is more wearable as I don't care for the rose accord in windsor. Both are well made and you wouldn't regret either one.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I love both and use them for special occasions. My vote goes to Windsor though, it just awes me everytime I wear it. I was lucky to get one of the last flacons at the Creed Boutique in NYC..

Haven't tried Windsor, but LOVE Royal Oud. Can't go wrong with that one.

IMHO, Windsor is the superior scent. It is also rarer so might as well get it while it is available.

Both are fantastic.....I still have to say Windsor hands down.....Gary

I have both, and while I like RO very much, I think Windsor is better.

To my snout, windsor is more versatile.

I have a flacon of windsor and have been decanting to some folks on badger and blade that want to try it. If you're looking for a small amount to try PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    I love both and use them for special occasions. My vote goes to Windsor though, it just awes me everytime I wear it. I was lucky to get one of the last flacons at the Creed Boutique in NYC..
    Interesting ... As I understand it, when they're gone, they're gone. Took a while. Anyone know if Windsor now has an open-ended run or if this means we are nearing the end?

duplicate post....
    Last edited by MikeNY; 27th March 2012 at 02:44 AM.

duplicate post....
    Last edited by MikeNY; 27th March 2012 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    Interesting ... As I understand it, when they're gone, they're gone. Took a while. Anyone know if Windsor now has an open-ended run or if this means we are nearing the end?
    I hate to contribute to this sort of hysteria, but I will relay verbatim the conversation I had in the Creed boutique on Madison Friday. And this was after I paid for Windsor, so it was not part of a sales pitch.

Creed Rep: You're lucky to have gotten this; we only have a couple pieces left.
    Me: What does that mean? Is Windsor no more?
    Creed Rep: It was a limited release, so once we've sold the flacons, that's it.
    Me: I'm sure you'll make another batch.
    Creed Rep: If that ever does happen, it will be many years before it does.
    Me: I think 250ml is enough to see me through.

I had been at Bergdorf the previous day, and they too had only one flacon left.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    I hate to contribute to this sort of hysteria, but I will relay verbatim the conversation I had in the Creed boutique on Madison Friday. And this was after I paid for Windsor, so it was not part of a sales pitch.

Creed Rep: You're lucky to have gotten this; we only have a couple pieces left.
    Me: What does that mean? Is Windsor no more?
    Creed Rep: It was a limited release, so once we've sold the flacons, that's it.
    Me: I'm sure you'll make another batch.
    Creed Rep: If that ever does happen, it will be many years before it does.
    Me: I think 250ml is enough to see me through.

I had been at Bergdorf the previous day, and they too had only one flacon left.

You've got to be kidding me, need to buy a flacon then.

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    You've got to be kidding me, need to buy a flacon then.
    I wouldn't panic. I'm sure it's just BS.

Windsor is way more refined and has more going on.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Windsor by far.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

I like RO, but I love Windsor.

Basenotes Member

Too bad I am allergic to something in Windsor - it turns my skin red. I am looking forward to trying a sample of RO later this week. I agree with all the comments about Windsor being a rockin great scent!
    Cheers,

-Nick

Royal Oud is excellent, but Windsor is......perfect!
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

To me this is not even a contest and Windsor wins by default. Elegant, unique and infinitely wearable for a guy (not a small accomplishment for a rose-heavy frag). Royal Oud to me smells neither "royal" nor "oud" in the least and is one of a few Creeds I wouldn't wear for free.

Im still kicking myself in the butt for not grabbing RO when it was $155 a few months back