Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just exactly who is IFRA...And why do we need what appears to be over-regulation?

Fragrance and its application for many of us here is an enjoyable pasttime and added pleasure in our daily lives. When government intercedes and regulates in what appears to be some arbitrary manner, it exceeds the boundary for necessary safety and protection of resources. I'm sure there's some good reason for their existence. Or is there?

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Just exactly who is IFRA...And why do we need what appears to be over-regulation?

IFRA is the International FRagrance Association - a trade association for the fragrance industry first formed in 1973 (though pre-cursor organisations go back to the sixties). It is, in short, the fragrance industry itself. It isnít government in any country.

The Standards that IFRA maintain, and that so often look like the bane of every perfume-lovers life, are compulsory for IFRA members and guidelines for everyone else. They are an attempt by the industry to pre-empt government regulation of the industry - it has been largely successful outside the EU and even within the EU has certainly prevented a lot of the legislative intervention that might otherwise have occurred.

I canít say Iím a fan of the Standards, nor am I a member of IFRA but I do at least prefer having one set of rules to follow that apply pretty much everywhere, rather than umpteen variations throughout the world - though of course that isnít completely true either, it does help.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Just exactly who is IFRA...And why do we need what appears to be over-regulation?

Thank you Chris for your clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    I can’t say I’m a fan of the Standards, nor am I a member of IFRA
    Just curious - is it because you are not a fan of the Standards that you are not a member?

Post Thanks / Like

We've had discussions before, and many of us have a much darker views of IFRA. It isn't really just an attempt to pre-empt government action. It's hard to think government actions would have forbidden what IFRA did (citrus? jasmine? oakmoss?). Rather, it's what economists would call "cartel", that is, a way for aromachemical companies to restrict the market and exclude many natural substances they do not produce. Unfortunately all of this happened while those who could have cared (the Arnaults and Pinaults) were clueless and busy doing something else.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Just curious - is it because you are not a fan of the Standards that you are not a member?
    The two statements are not entirely un-related but in truth IFRA membership is really aimed at manufacturers and although technically I make my own fragrances and am therefore a manufacturer it isnít aimed at little guys like me.

That said, I also like to have the freedom to make a fragrance to a commission and ignore the guidelines - if I was a member I could not do that.

I donít altogether disagree with the idea that IFRA sometimes behaves in a decidedly cartel-like fashion either. Though nor am I of the view that it is an incarnation of pure evil: it is typical of human endeavours - started with good intentions but flawed and filled with agenda and untoward consequences, unintended and otherwise.

Just to be clear though, citrus, jasmine and oakmoss are not forbidden, only restricted (quite heavily restricted in the case of jasmine and especially oakmoss, but much less so for citrus). Many substances are on IFRAs Prohibited list and in another thread Iím in the process (now nearing completion - phew!) of listing all of them, along with all those restricted in some way, in any easy to reference style.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the info. Will follow your threads.