Code of Conduct

Default Balenciaga Le Dix and Guerlain Apres L'Ondee

Hello everyone,

I just receiced my sample for Balenciaga Le Dix EDT and Apres L'Ondee vintage parfum (which I adore), and I was utterly shocked by the fact that to me, Le Dix very much smells like a more aldehydic (sparklier, brighter) version of Apres. I would very much appreciate it if some of you shared their experience of this, it seems such a strange comparison; yet I tried them three times together and I still feel the two perfumed are similar. For sure, the atmosphere they create is very different (Le Dix is much happier, more energetic, still mysterious but in a sort of powerful, sexy way, while Apres is all softness and haziness and languid beauty in pastel colors), but the actuall smell itself is similar, IMO (even if Apres is stong on Iris and heliotrope, while Le Dix is big on violets, therefore Apres parfum is a far deeper and darker experience than Le Dix). Thanks for your input !

Edit: Now that I waited longer for once, the drydown is more powdery with Le Dix and the little iris note it had at the beginning is just about to fade out, so now Le Dix is less like Apres where the iris stays strong almost all the way, combined with heliotrope (and there is much less violet to begin with, of course). Now Le Dix is almost Chanel No 5-like !
    Last edited by Perszona; 31st March 2012 at 02:36 PM.

Default Re: Balenciaga Le Dix and Guerlain Apres L'Ondee

I find Apres L'Ondee older 90s version in edt is all about the heliotrope. I have the parfum and find it very similar to L'Heure Bleu in parfum. I do have Le Dix edt and get violets from it.
    DONNA

True, Le Dix is more violet-based versus the iris, yet I still find similarities. They are not identical by all means, only resembling each other... I have heard many times before the L'Heure Bleu comparison to Apres, and yes, they are similar, but there is something in LB that I do not like, something nutty and sweet/bitter (which is why some call it gourmand-like), so I do not own LB but I LOVE Apres.
    Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I find Apres L'Ondee older 90s version in edt is all about the heliotrope. I have the parfum and find it very similar to L'Heure Bleu in parfum. I do have Le Dix edt and get violets from it.

Blog Entries

I cannot smell Après L'Ondee without thinking of Sweet Tarts, very melancholy Sweet Tarts. For some reason I was surprised no one prepared me for that...and I haven't smelled the Balenciaga.... Does it have a candy smell?

Like donna, I also get loads of heliotrope from Apres L'Ondee. I'm not a fan of heliotrope, but I really like Le Dix and can't say I've noticed any heliotrope in there, so I'd have to say I don't get the similarities ...although I'll sniff with your perceptions in mind the next time I wear it - maybe it'll surprise me. To me, Le Dix is No5 on violets.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I only know Le Dix in vintage extrait form, altough I must admit I prefer the youngest of the ones I had (it's the only one I kept). I would only go for light jus, which is more yellow than amberish. I don't think Le Dix ages well. To me it is all about violet and a heavenly sandalwood base.
    Now, Apres l'Ondee... the vintage parfum sample I had was very iris-y and I was rather underwhelmed. The current EdT is a rooty iris with miserable longevity on my skin. The vintage EdT tester they had here at a local perfumery was absolutely gorgeous. It was more multi-faceted... heliotrope, iris etc. My favorite version, but unavailable and same lousy longevity on my skin. Apres l'Ondee is not for me, I think.