Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default AVENTUS - First thoughts after wearing, not a review!

After wanting to try Aventus for a long time, I got in on a split from Heperd, one of the "good" batches. (Thank you!) I wore this a few days ago and these are my initial impressions which are sprinkled with some questions.

After spraying this I immediately got the pineapple note. Delicious! The top and middle notes are addictive. Surprised that at the base that the wood and musk became rather prominent for me. But this fragrance did not last for me. I have read that with Aventus, less is more so I did not over spray. I have also read that even though this seems "weak" to the wearer that the longevity and silage is great. Interestingly, nobody commented on my fragrance that day, and I usually get comments from a couple of co-workers that know I like good fragrances.

So, what gives? Nobody noticed? Really? Maybe I should spray more (I used 2 sprays) or does the wearer become really immune to the scent? Is there Iso E Super in this one? Do those that have this reapply throughout the day?

Maybe I just need to learn how this fragrance works by wearing it more. But at this point, I love the scent even though it seems rather weak to me. Seems like a good summer scent but my preference is for stronger scents, unless I am missing something here.

Comments and advice welcomed. (This is my first Creed.)
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Masque Milano Russian Tea

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Currently wearing: Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: AVENTUS - First thoughts after wearing, not a review!

Well, you certainly started right at the top. Most definitely one of my favorite Creeds and for many others as well. Creed is supposedly made of all natural ingredients, which I believe. I wish I could help you more Akahina, but I have the same issue. Some days I will wear Aventus (or any other Creed) and smell it all day and other days I will put it on and very seldom even get a whiff. But that's just me.

Anyone else with thoughts about their experience in getting to know this scent? I want some stories people!
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Basenotes Junkie

I'll bite.

Aventus was more or less my first encounter with Creed. A noticed a friend was wearing something fantastic, and asked him, and I found out about it. It was also my first Creed - got it as a Christmas present from my mother.

I just love the smell - I really can't get enough of it, and I constantly smell my wrist after application.

Longevity is what I'd call pretty extreme on me. Latest case - I applied three sprays of Aventus to my neck yesterday at around 17:00, taking my girl out to dinner. This morning, I could still smell it on myself - on my neck. I was pretty amazed.
    Same thing when I got it for Christmas. I dad snatched the bottle, applied on his wrist the evening I got it - and we could clearly smell it the day after.

All in all, I suspect It's my favorite Creed - and one of the factors starting my interest for perfumes. I'm about to pick up the last ones I really want - leaving me at 10 bottles of Creed - but I suspect Aventus will still be my number one.

I just bought a small bottle of Aventus a couple weeks ago as well, and I encountered the same thing on my first couple times wearing it. I asked my sister if she could smell my cologne while talking to me, and she couldn't. I then let it sit for about a week or so, and put some on a few days ago before going into work. My dad said he could smell it in the next room right after I applied it. Once I got to work, my friend gave me a nice compliment "You smell very manly today, I like it". This coming from a straight guy.

So I'd recommend just letting it "sit" for a while, and go back to it. It went from seeming very weak at first to a projection beast.

I have had it in my collection for quite a while now and I also get that burst of fruity freshness which I enjoy. Have never had any problems with longevity or projection.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Anyone else with thoughts about their experience in getting to know this scent? I want some stories people!

I also got in on this split from heperd (received mine 2 days ago). I wore it to work on Friday. I was shocked by the longevity. I only had 3 lighhtish sprays as I don't like to be overbearing at work and while I did not receive any compliments, I could smell it al l day at work over 9 hrs.

It is a great smell and while I think I prefer GIT, his is a solid scent and lasts really long on me.

Mine is like Niterage's description... way strong.

I diluted a few mL down to 50% concentration using everclear. I use 2 sprays from the tiny atomizer on the 5 mL glass bottle, probably the equivalent of 1 spray or less from a Creed atomizer. The frag feels more "airy" and less intense this way, which I like.

Really, you diluted it? Since it seems weak to me I can't imagine how that could improve it. Interesting...
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion

I've tested and had decants from 3 different batches of Aventus (smokey or ashy as some call it with a muted pine apple note with very little musk in the base and a ton of smoke), (Pineapple heavy with the same smokey accord with more musk), and a (fruity at the top, with the same smokey heart a really nice musky base). The 1st one lasts longer but doesn't project as well. The 2nd batch projects like a beast, but doesn't last and is probably something that you could easily over spray. The 3rd batch is the best because it's balanced and does both very well and probably the batches that people are saying they can't smell but other people comment after 8 hours. From the batches I've run into you know you have a good batch when 2 sprays (good projection or sillage trail) to 3 sprays (very good projection and bordering on a jet blast sillage). If your going 4 to 5 sprays and it doesn't project or last at least 4 hours then you have a bad batch. Hope this helped a bit.
    Currently wearing: Avant Garde by Lanvin

This stuff lasts days on me. I'm grateful for that then shower

I like it but it is well of overated and seems to be gaining cult like status.
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by Nightrage View Post
    Once I got to work, my friend gave me a nice compliment "You smell very manly today, I like it". This coming from a straight guy.
    I don't know why, but this made me chuckle.
    Anyway, thanks for the reassurance

Really, you diluted it? Since it seems weak to me I can't imagine how that could improve it. Interesting...
    As another poster said, let yours sit for a while, it does seem they change and improve, maybe shipping temporarily did something to it, IDK... but this isn't the 1st time I've heard of Aventus changing with time. The strong batches of Aventus are NUCLEAR, and diluting it makes it better behaved. I don't want a frag that fills entire rooms with scent...

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    Mine is like Niterage's description... way strong.

I diluted a few mL down to 50% concentration using everclear. I use 2 sprays from the tiny atomizer on the 5 mL glass bottle, probably the equivalent of 1 spray or less from a Creed atomizer. The frag feels more "airy" and less intense this way, which I like.
    Everyone has their method for better longevity. Here's mine: 1) decant to three separate 15ml blue glass bottles with medium-spray atomizers, 2) stand on your head, 3) apply one spray from each bottle in succession to the triquarter areas of the neck, about 3.5cm down and spaced about 20cm apart, 4) recite the batch number backwards three times, 5) shake the bottle, and 6) spray directly in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    Everyone has their method for better longevity. Here's mine: 1) decant to three separate 15ml blue glass bottles with medium-spray atomizers, 2) stand on your head, 3) apply one spray from each bottle in succession to the triquarter areas of the neck, about 3.5cm down and spaced about 20cm apart, 4) recite the batch number backwards three times, 5) shake the bottle, and 6) spray directly in the face and crotch.
    You missed and important step right at the end, I fixxed it for ya.

I get better projection and longevity with SoCal by Hollister which is an EdC..no lie. Aventus just doesn't work on some people, me being one of them. I typically get the average sillage and longevity that the majority of people get from any given scent. But when people say they only spray 1 or 2 sprays of Aventus and they stink up a room or say it lasts for an entire day+ I really don't get.

Worst longevity and projection of ANYTHING I have ever tried.

Thanks for the serious replies so far.

By the way, the batch number is C42B11X02, a reported good batch.

Please, don't turn this thread into a joke thread or a bashing thread. Seriously wanting some stories with experiences.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion

I bought the 2.5 fl. oz last week and have worn it 4 times now.
    I get spotty longevity. First wear 4-6 hours from 5-6 sprays, second day 6-8 hours from 6 sprays, third day 8-10 hours from 6 sprays and fourth day 4-6 hours.

I asked colleagues and GF and they smelled it the first couple of hours then it was only 1-2 feet protection. I get good longevity from my other frags normally.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Quote Originally Posted by Jer350 View Post
    I get better projection and longevity with SoCal by Hollister which is an EdC..no lie. Aventus just doesn't work on some people, me being one of them. I typically get the average sillage and longevity that the majority of people get from any given scent. But when people say they only spray 1 or 2 sprays of Aventus and they stink up a room or say it lasts for an entire day+ I really don't get.

Worst longevity and projection of ANYTHING I have ever tried.
    You know, I would have agreed, but I find that it also seems that SOME bystanders smell it more readily than others. I happened to ask a few of my coworkers at the end of the day if they could smell my cologne, and they said yes-- they could and they could smell it the whole day when they were around me. I also had a male coworker who was asking me about where he should buy some Dolce and Gabbana fragrance and he commented that whatever I happened to be wearing (Aventus) was really good, but it might have been the strongest cologne I've ever worn. This really surprised me because I didn't FEEL like I was radiating nuclear sillage. Also, a few days after buying Aventus, I decided to try to see how strong it was, so I tried three sprays (like that Mickers guy did when he got sent home from work). I went into a grocery store wearing three full sprays and after the clerk rang me up, he did depart really quickly like I was gassing him out ( which I was, and it was part of my experiment, even though it was a bit rude to experiment on real people-- I did it in an environment in which I was going to be quickly in and out).

I've noticed that after a few weeks of owning Aventus and then mixing up my rotation with other scents, I'm beginning to notice less olfactory fatigue and Aventus seems much longer lasting-- also probably because I apply less. This stuff is Eau de Parfum strength and it can seem temperamental, but it really is a long lasting scent that can seem otherwise because of fatigue. I trust my coworkers' noses!

It is obviously one of my favorites, but i am often frustrated by it because of not being able to smell it on myself. Lately the less is more application technique is helping with that. Then again some days with 3 sprays i dont smell it at all, and some days 3 sprays causes the smokey base to burn my eyes 7 hrs later because it is so strong. Same thing happens with GIT.

When i first got it i though more sprays would help. Once i put 9-10 on and went to Macys. I couldnt smell it at all, but i walked up to an SA to ask about something and she sort of stumbled backwards away from me. She said it smelled really good but was "very intense".

I have though a lot about why this is. I think Creed is not lying about using natural ingredients, and we are easily acclimated to natural smells. When you cook with garlic and onion or some herbs, you cannot smell them after you finish cooking, but if you leave the house for a while, when you come back in the smell is very strong. Same thing for people that work at the dump or sewage treatment plant (great setup right here haters), they are completely unaware of the stench around them.
    I try to spray down low, back of the neck, on clothes. Seems to help.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

So, I remember the first time I wore Terre d'Hermes I thought that the smell had mostly disappeared after an hour or so and I re-applied. The person I was with told me I smelled pretty strong and I did not know it. Is that the same case with Aventus? If so I will just have to learn how the fragrance works on me.

And nobody has mentioned if Aventus has Iso E Super in it like TdH. Does it have this or something similar that would cause fatigue?
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion

Sorry heperd, I was typing when you posted. Maybe it is natural ingredients, but I wonder still if they slipped something in that might cause fatigue...
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion

Sorry heperd, I was typing when you posted. Maybe it is natural ingredients, but I wonder still if they slipped something in that might cause fatigue...
    I have the same batch as you, from the same gentleman (ha!) you got yours from. I sprayed neck/chest once and wrists once about 9 hours ago. I can still easily smell it if I lift the collar of my undershirt to my nose. Aventus is a little strange in that I find you get a better sense of the fragrance when it wafts in the air, but less so when you smell directly on your skin (although clothing seems to never want to get rid of the scent). If you don't have incredibly dry skin and other frags seem to last a 'normal' amount of time on you, I'm putting this one directly in the category of olfactory fatigue. I'm not quite sure why we have these threads all the time when one could simply ask someone else, "Hey, do I smell like Spongebob's house?".

"I'm not quite sure why we have these threads all the time when one could simply ask someone else, "Hey, do I smell like Spongebob's house?"."

We, or I at least ask these questions because I am a member of an online forum of fragrance freaks. Perhaps the answer will enlighten me or other members. We are a community designed to discuss fragrances.

I wonder why people read and respond to questions complaining that the questions have all been asked before. Why read the question if it bores you and has been asked before. Have never asked a single person if I smelled like Spongebob's house!
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion

I also have that batch of Aventus from one of Heperd's splits. It was a complete blind buy but I read all kinds of good things about Aventus. I loved it the first time I smelled it. I wore it work (even though the very same batch got MyMickers sent home b/c of it's strength) and it was fantastic. The first 2-3 hours it projected like a beast. It lasted 13 hours. The opening is a beautiful fruity pineapple that gives way to a very manly smokey leather smell. It smells expensive and luxurious. It smells like confidence in a bottle. I doubt it actually smells like Napoleon.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post

I have though a lot about why this is. I think Creed is not lying about using natural ingredients, and we are easily acclimated to natural smells. When you cook with garlic and onion or some herbs, you cannot smell them after you finish cooking, but if you leave the house for a while, when you come back in the smell is very strong.
    For anyone having longetivity issues, i believe heperd has explained it perfectly right there.

I really enjoy the Aventus drydown, even more than the strong Pineapple top notes.

Try this slightly strange experiment: Spray a small amount on your wrist, wait a couple of hours then hold the area you sprayed in front of a warm car heater vent (not while driving!) to really enjoy that juicy red apple, musk and leather drydown. This stuff is amazing.

Banned

I think olfactory adaptation, wherein one's olfactory senses become accustomed to various scents and learn to ignore them while sorting out newly-detected odors, is certainly at work when Aventus is worn. The wearer cannot appreciate the scent bubble that encompasses him, but others do, in fact, experience the scent.
    In my case, I was queuing up to pay for articles, and an employee of that establishment was directing people to other cashiers. I was one of those that was re-directed. In moving to the other area, I did walk past that employee, and after I got my place in the new line, she commented to me, rather loudly so I could hear, that I smelled very nice - the wonder of Aventus.

And nobody has mentioned if Aventus has Iso E Super in it like TdH.
    My nose tells me that it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer350 View Post
    I get better projection and longevity with SoCal by Hollister which is an EdC..no lie.
    Abercrombie has a way of producing EDC's (Fierce, SoCal, Ruehl No 925) that have enough longevity and projection to make most EDT's jealous. SoCal is one of my favorite EDC's and would probably be a big hit if it was bottled under a more prestigious name.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock