Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default millesime imperial (my first creed)

I bought a sample of Creed's Millesime Imperial, my first Creed (or niche upscale fragrance in general). I knew for a while that Creed was a very popular niche house for serious collectors, so I figured I would try one of their most popular fragrances.

I do think Millesime Imperial is easily, and by far, better than 90% of the mass markets. And for people who can afford it, it is well worth the niche price.

It is a fresh floral scent that is sweet without being cloying. It is safe and really hard to offend with, without being dull or uninspired (like your typical 212). It is unisex without being bland and nuetral (like CK One). For a man, it is a little feminine, and much less masculine, but I don't think anyone would ask if you are wearing a feminine perfume. Its the kind of smell I would enjoy on a woman.

The drydown is nearly almost as pleasant as the opening top note scents themselves, unlike most colognes.

The projection and longevity are average at best, maybe a little bit on the lower side. That is the consequence of using natural ingredients instead of synthetics. But if you are going to a 2 hour event, it should be perfect.

Since I am in college and I am not mid-career with a full-time job, I can't justify spending $150-380 on a 4 oz bottle of cologne or even $60-100 on a 1 oz split. I know if I did buy it, I would go through it really fast.

Easily in my top 5. Now I'm off to try Aventus, GIT, and SMW.

I do know that there are over a dozen mass market colognes that are trying to emulate the qualities of MI. Usher, Penguin, and the Gucci's really seem like really weak watered down clones in hindsight.

I know one thing for sure. After experiencing MI, it would be really hard to go back to enjoying some of the fresh floral scents I used to.

9.5/10

Default Re: millesime imperial (my first creed)

Glad you enjoyed it. It's indeed a good one IMO.

Is it April Fool's already ?

I got MI and it's nothing special, smells like salt water. Don't get any watermelons or fruity accords at all.

I got a 75 ml tester for only 90 bucks, and that stuff is going straight to ebay, and getting Noir de Noir instead.

I use Aventus, Royal Oud, and VIW as summer scent

I enjoy it quite a bit. Was wearing it the other day and sampled LOVE AND LUCK and UNFORGIVABLE, and I really had a hard time seeing the point in buying a full sized bottle of MI. I own a 9ml sample, and I'm not sure if MI is that much better. Not to turn this in to a debate.

Back on topic-
    it is very nice smelling, and I agree with you on the "enjoy on a woman" comment. It is definitely not masculine, but I do not find it feminine. Overall, a great smelling fragrance that should be enjoyed by everyone.
    TOP PICKS
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille Creed Silver Mountain Water Creed Millesime Imperial
    Gucci Pour Homme II YSL La Nuit de L'homme Versace The Dreamer
    Burberry London YSL L'homme L'occitane Eau Des Baux

Good starting point. A lot of people bash Creed on here and many of their scents deserve such bashing considering how much they cost. I never really cared for MI as most of the milesime base can be found in more pleasing scents such as Neroli Sauvage. I'd suggest giving the older Creeds a chance: Royal Scottish Lavender, Royal English Leather, Bois du Portugal, Bois de Santal, etc. You just have to be willing to disconnect yourself for a moment from what you think a good fragrance in today's market is.

Basenotes Member

Enjoy Aventus, GIT, and SMW! I think you'll find GIT and Aventus to be the stand-outs, but that's just me.

As mentioned above, if you get a chance, try out some of the older Creeds. For many of these I have had no expectations at all as I knew little about them...and have been pleasantly surprised by many of them, especially Bois de Portugal.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by themoogle View Post

I got MI and it's nothing special, smells like salt water. Don't get any watermelons or fruity accords at all.

I got a 75 ml tester for only 90 bucks, and that stuff is going straight to ebay, and getting Noir de Noir instead.

I must have a different batch then.

Creed MI is an All Star Hall of Famer.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

I find MI to be an incredible scent. My bottle is quite fruity, pineapple and apple all over the place. I also love SMW. SMW lasts for days on anything I spray it on and is quite unique for me as it is so different from everything else I have. I find it boozy in a wine sort of aspect and the drydown just powers on relentlessly for days and even till the next laundry day. I have Aventus and GIT also but tend to reach for MI the most. I find myself reaching for Creed more and more actually and have no shame in it. Smells great. Its popular for many reasons, and some will not like it for that reason alone, but thats ok and no big deal. I think I need to try some BDP next and other grey lids.

It's easily better than 95% of all fragrances, and it's light years better than Aventus, GIT, and SMW imo. It's only problem is poor longevity and projection.

Quote Originally Posted by themoogle View Post

Try to get fresh one for change. And don't buy it on Ebay. FragranceNet or Amazon could be good to get it for a lower price. I got good bottles of MI, GIT, VIW and OV, there. But then again I returned Neroli Sauvage and Silver Mountain Water because they were stale and salty as you might say, and bought fresh ones straight from Creed/Neiman.
    Find good bottle of Creed and then you will see how good it can be.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Renard View Post
    It's easily better than 95% of all fragrances, and it's light years better than Aventus, GIT, and SMW imo. It's only problem is poor longevity and projection.
    I get 6-7 hours, any more than that would be offensive
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Banned

I'm a big fan of this fragrance and find it intoxicating, glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I'm a big fan of this fragrance and find it intoxicating, glad you like it.
    + 1

If you find a good batch this is easily one of the most intoxicating scents ever made IMHO

Creed can be a maddening house, with batch issues no other major house seem to have. But at their best, MI and GIT are a pair that, to me, form the best combination there is. As my signature tells you.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver