Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Vetiver

Hey folks,

I do like vetiver scents and I currently own Vetiver 48, Original Vetiver, and Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. I'm thinking about blind buying Guerlain Vetiver. Do you think I will like it considering what I have I'm my collection ?

Nick

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Guerlain Vetiver

If you like vetiver, then you will like this one. It is the original and many consider it to be the "reference vetiver." I have a bottle of the EDT version, and I love it.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're a fan of vetiver fragrances you need to at least try this one. I love vetiver fragrances too and this is a staple of my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    Hey folks,

I do like vetiver scents and I currently own Vetiver 48, Original Vetiver, and Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. I'm thinking about blind buying Guerlain Vetiver. Do you think I will like it considering what I have I'm my collection ?

Nick
    IMO Yes.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Post Thanks / Like

A further opinion/vote in favor of yes. A very "leafy", green, almost fougere vetiver (in a good way), with a powdery, almost tobacco-like (but as in smooth unburnt, not harsh or smoky tobacco), resinous and almost slightly sweet, yet nowhere near as sweet as in a gourmand, drydown development.

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some folks blind-buy it based on the generally positive views (which I share), then come on here whining that it's an 'old man scent', good only for loosening granny's knicker elastic. So I say 'try before you buy', lest you join the frowning ranks of the angry & disillusioned.
    Disclaimer: idk lol

Post Thanks / Like

It's nice but too throw back (Antiquate) and earthy , Now Grey Vetiver is as far as I go with vetiver and "the buck stops there" this one is a beautiful modern interpretation of vetiver "Modern master piece"
    Last edited by magnus611; 17th April 2014 at 07:00 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Some folks blind-buy it based on the generally positive views (which I share), then come on here whining that it's an 'old man scent', good only for loosening granny's knicker elastic. So I say 'try before you buy', lest you join the frowning ranks of the angry & disillusioned.
    I bought a vintage bottle of this from one of the dealers I know, and his young sales assistant said "Why do you want THAT old man smelling stuff? My grandpa used to put this on when he was going out on the town!"

Lol.....

It's a classic vetiver, and though I do not wear it much, it's kind of like a reference in my scent library and it's there if I need/want it. I do indeed like it, but don't reach for it often at all.
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Post Thanks / Like

Try everything before you buy.

Post Thanks / Like

Guerlain Vetiver was my absolute favorite before the numerous reformulations it has undergone. Today's GV is still pretty good but it has been "dethroned" by several great vetivers like Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford.
    If you are looking for a great vetiver try to find a bottle of Indian Vetiver, it was discontinued about 5 years ago but you may get lucky and find a bottle in ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Try everything before you buy.
    Where is your spirit of adventure????
    If I had tried everything before buying I would have missed lot of great fragrances that now adore because there were no samples or tester available.
    By being too wary you'll miss most of the greatest things in life
    Last edited by PerfumeCollector; 17th April 2014 at 07:49 PM.
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have not sniffed Vetiver 48 but I own Guerlain Vetiver and have sampled the others on OP's list multiple times. I think the Guerlain is certainly different enough from the TF and Creed that a vetiver lover won't find too much redundancy or overlap there, and the Guerlain is a true benchmark fragrance. I don't find it geriatric or old-mannish, but at 36 I'm a lot more comfortable with these classics now than I would have been 10 years ago. My bottle will be in heavy rotation once spring decides to arrive.

Post Thanks / Like

Some folks blind-buy it based on the generally positive views (which I share), then come on here whining that it's an 'old man scent', good only for loosening granny's knicker elastic
    Oh my!!! LOL!!

Post Thanks / Like

I blind bought it and while I do like and enjoy it, I don't reach for it that often. I can see why some consider it dated
    and perhaps to the average nose it is. I consider it more of a classic scent which I'm glad to have and any
    vertiver lover and collector should have it in their collection. I would try and test first if I were you.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^ lmao.

So just gift the bottle to granny and it's a win-win situation
    Current Favorites:
    J'ai Fait un Reve by Majda Bekkali
    Rose d'Arabie by Armani
    Al Oudh by L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Lillipur by Tiziana Terenzi
    Bois d'Iris by Van Cleef & Arpels

Post Thanks / Like

Liked it for the 30 minutes that I got out of it before it disappeared

Post Thanks / Like

Guerlain Vetiver definitely smells dated compared to say Grey Vetiver, which is quite vibrant. Guerlain Vetiver smells more soapy than anything. I think it's beautiful, but it can be difficult to wear. For me, it smells better on paper than my skin, actually it smells AMAZING on paper. Once it hits my skin, too much neroli comes out, the neroli in this smells too much like jasmine, another note I can't stand on my skin. So for me, Guerlain Vetiver doesn't work out too well. The neroli stays for a while.. it just ruins it for me. The older formulation, which I had a sample of, smells pretty good, but very dated, the vetiver in it is more mossy and dirty.. there's a lot of tobacco. All in all, it's a hit or miss fragrance, most people either love it or hate it. I gotta say, I still love it, but the neroli annoys me.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Post Thanks / Like

I think its awesome. It was the first Vet. fragrance I tried. I flipped for it, and went out to try many others. And I keep coming back to it; while the others come up a bit short, to my mind. I got lucky by getting to the Guerlain first.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree that it's a classic, so if you like vetiver, you should try it. I like vetivers, especially Grey Vetiver and even OV (and I generally don't like Creeds) to some extent, and I don't like Guerlain Vetiver ... it's a quality fragrance, I can see why people like it, but I definitely don't. You can sample it for $4 before buying a FB, why not do that?
    Last edited by Uvalde; 18th April 2014 at 12:46 AM.

I don't think you'll like it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have all the vetivers you mentioned and I enjoy all of them. But I did NOT like Guerlain's Vetiver. In fact, I was so disappointed with it, I sent it back.

Guerlain Vetiver is one I would highly recommend sampling before buying. If you have never worn a truly earthy, strong vetiver, you might not like the "classic" smell of them.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Vetiver 1948, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Chanel Eau de Cologne, Batucada, Balle de Match) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-L-Artisan-PdN

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Vetiver 1948, Selection Verte, Bois de Santal, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Chanel, L'Artisan, Parfums de Nicolai) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeCollector View Post
    Where is your spirit of adventure????
    If I had tried everything before buying I would have missed lot of great fragrances that now adore because there were no samples or tester available.
    By being too wary you'll miss most of the greatest things in life
    My spirit of adventure is present and fully intact, thanks! Perhaps I should have said: 'Try everything before you buy if you can do so without going to ridiculous lengths.' If it's some absolute rarity, of course you should jump, but Guerlain's Vetiver isn't that. Should be easy enough to get samples or find your way to a tester. For the record, I like vetiver and am passionate about Guerlain but really dislike this one.

Thank you for all your replies folks! It seems to be a love /hate fragrance. I may pass on this one with the collection I have. I'm my opinion Vetiver 48 is one of the best vetiver I've ever smelled. The ginger combined with the vetiver is just perfectly blended. We need to sign a petition for creed to bring this one back. Fortunately for me I still have a full bottle.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a total MUST! Of all the vetivers I've tried, that is quintessential for me. When I am I a vetiver mood I keep coming to that (I refer to the "real" vintage formulation - however not that hard to find).
    My current top five:

Guerlain - Mitsouko
    Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'ascèse
    Parfum d'Empire - Ambre Russe
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier - Santal Noble
    Czech & Speake - Oxford & Cambridge

http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

I blind bought this one and tried really hard to like it to no avail. I ended up throwing it in the trash. Best to test this one before you buy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I blind bought this one and tried really hard to like it to no avail. I ended up throwing it in the trash. Best to test this one before you buy.
    LOL!! I have to admit when I first tried it, I did not like it either - it had that strong soapy old man vibe coming off. But I didn't throw it away, I tried it again a few months later, after going through some 20+ other vetivers, and slowly warmed up to it. I don't get the "old man" vibe from it anymore, but it is still somewhat soapy, a little sharp, but ultimately not all that interesting. I can wear it every now and then, but it's not even in my top 10 of vetivers - there are many much more interesting takes on it that do vetiver better these days.

It is a cheapie, though, and very easily found in most department stores, so testing it before buying a bottle shouldn't be a difficult task.

Post Thanks / Like

The vintage one was an "institution" for decades, for about 5 years I noticed the formula was significantly "touched", recently I've tested it again and probably the aroma seems to perform again gloriously as in the past (though not properly in a so refined, glorious and hesperidic way).

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Anyway. Guerlain is one of the cheapest vetiver on the shelves, so you can buy it without too many problems.
    Raiders of the Lost Scent: Journey in the Realm of Lost Perfumes
    http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspot.it.

Post Thanks / Like

The latest version is good - it's in the same ballpark as the Dior Privé one that came and went, quite bright, uplifting, green aromatic take on vetiver. In some ways I prefer it to the ribbed glass version - well, put it this way . . . it's an 'easier wear'. I bought several bottles of Vetiver Pour Elle before it disappeared and that is still my go to summer vetiver but if I had to live with the current version I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Post Thanks / Like

Just received this as a gift (modern EDT) and have to say I really enjoy it. I'm one of those that prefers light, green vetivers (Dior Vetiver) and really don't enjoy really dark earthy vetivers (Encre Noire) but Guerlain Vetiver is a fine balance between those two facets. It's a bit 'dated' but not in a bad way, it has an old school retro vibe that I think is due to the tobacco enhancing that overall green effect Guerlain's Vetiver has. It's earthy, but still fresh and vibrant and thats what I really enjoy about this. I do think this is a bit hard to wear, rainy days seem suitable but thats just me. I can see why some people don't like it though and I do prefer other Vetivers out there but this is still a solid, relevant and classic scent.

A winner in my books and for the price I think this is a steal.

Hey folks thank you for all your replies! I was able to find a bottle of the recent formulation (February 2012) bottle of Guerlain Vetiver in a retail mall for 55 bucks. It does remind me of Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver, just a bit less soapy. However longevity doesn't seem to be as good as Grey Vetiver. I still love the scent though. Is this formulation better than the horizontal glass bottle that came out in 2000? I never was able to get my nose on that one.

Nick

Post Thanks / Like

If you like guerlain and grey vetiver, then try aterllier colognes vetiver fatale. Earthy, smoky vetiver, really nice.

thanks
    rick

Simply the Vetiver reference IMO

Probably my all time favourite!! (like a lot last formula)

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This.

I blind bought it and just feel its a more mature scent than i'd like to give off a lot of the time. I do use it on occasion but that's due to the nature of it and how it goes with my appearance and personality. I can see how some people love it as a regular though.
    Last edited by Braxbrah; Yesterday at 10:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Guerlain Vetiver is simply a nice scent, nothing more or less! Nothing groundbreaking or disgusting... Definitely a 3-star rating frag for me.
    I simply like it as a light fresh and classy scent, nothing overpowering.
    And recently I've bought the ribbed frosted bottle too...
    My most favorite scents that I can't be without:
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Fahrenheit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Same for me! I blind bought it and HATED it (( it's dated for sure. My least favourite vetiver of all time.

Post Thanks / Like

Original Vetiver I like, but don't think it particularly vetivery, and Grey Vetiver I don't think much of. I haven't tried the other one you mentioned.

My advice, blind buy Guerlain Vetiver if you can find it cheap, else pass.

The other vetiver type you should try sniff in your wanderings is Etro Vetiver, as the style is more raw and closer to the pure vetiver that you can sniff as an essential oil in aromatherapy places. Villoresi Vetiver was of the same raw style, but is no longer made. This style makes for an interesting contrast with the more refined style vetivers.
    Regards,
    Renato

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as you're fine with *traditional* types of vetiver, I see no reasons why you shouldn't like it. Now, the question actually is: are you fine with traditional men fragrances?

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here