Code of Conduct

Lightbulb Aldehydic Florals - Let's Discuss!

These have become a favorite category of mine these past couple years.

Some favorites ( in my collection, or imminently so ):

Frederic Malle - Iris Poudre ( very abstract, I love the cool-to-warm transition ).

Chanel - Cuir de Russie ( I own the EDT - it's more florals than leather on my skin, but what a floral ).

Comme des Garcons - Stephen Jones ( brilliant stony violets ).

Alain Delon - Iquitos ( more light-hearted than the others; rose-jasmine pop ).

I sampled some Puredistance Opardu recently, but sadly it was a busy day of sniffing, so I haven't had time to give it a full wearing on skin.

Any favorites?

Default Re: Aldehydic Florals - Let's Discuss!

I'm also a big fan of Iris Poudre and am planning on purchasing it soon. My favorite aldehydic floral fragrance is Chanel No 5. Yes, it's easily recognizable as a women's fragrance, but I've worn it once or twice with a light application.

If Iquitos is classified within this category, then this would be my pick. I loved this when it first came out many years ago and I still love it today.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Iris Poudre is beautiful (and strong and tenacious), but I'm not convinced yet that I can pull it off. It's like iris candy to me, but a feminine candy. Perhaps under appreciated around here, too.

I've come to really like Comme des Garçons 2, which is certainly an aldehydic floral, though of a more avant-garde type. Easily unisex, too.

I've been wearing Thierry Mugler's Miroir des Secrets a lot lately

My very favorite is Lanvin's Arpege. I can pull it off if used very lightly, and I think it's beautiful.
    Body Kouros, Fahrenheit and other designer bottles for trade in My Swap Thread

Nice to see you back Sugandha after a loong time.

Your expertise will be greatly appreciated here.

In my collection, I personally find
    Amouage Gold the best.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 20th April 2014 at 11:45 PM.

Guerlain Vega & Nina Ricci Farouche top the list for me - both excellent parfums obviously to have aldehydic notes...

Other very good ones are Caron Fleurs de Rocaille, Schiapparelli Schocking, Chanel's # 5 & # 22, PG's Tonkamande, Lanvin Arpege (always undervalued), Miss Dior, Madame Rochas, Ysatis, Krizia Uomo etc to name a few.

Blog Entries

Are you liking Jardin D'Amalfi? I also like Vintage Lubin Nuit de Longchamps and 31 Rue Cambone.
    Last edited by kumquat; 21st April 2014 at 01:03 AM.

Paco Rabanne Calandre for me: aldehydes, rose, cream, and spices.

cacio

This is one of my very favorite categories, especially when paired with a mossy, chypré base, but almost all of them are vintage and/or discontinued ...Iris Poudre is the only one on my list to be released in the last decade.

Gucci No1
    Krizia K de Krizia
    Chanel No5
    Chanel No22
    Royal Copenhagen Flora Danica
    Lancôme Climat
    the original Calvin Klein for Women
    Revillon Detchema
    Guerlain Chamade
    Caron Infini
    Amouage Gold
    Capucci Yendi
    Avon Topaze
    Molyneux Vivre
    Hermès Parfum d'Hermès
    Balenciaga Le Dix
    Jean Louis Scherrer Scherrer 2
    YSL Rive Gauche
    Lanvin Arpège
    Malle Iris Poudre
    Patou Sublime
    the original Perry Ellis for women
    Rochas Madame Rochas
    Van Cleef & Arpels First
    Estée Lauder Estée
    Worth Je Reviens
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    I've come to really like Comme des Garçons 2, which is certainly an aldehydic floral, though of a more avant-garde type. Easily unisex, too.
    I don't have much experience with aldehydic florals, but I do enjoy CdG 2.
    I've recently been sampling Chanel No. 19, but I'm having trouble breaking down what I'm smelling in much of it. Does it also have notable aldehydes, or am I just getting confused by the blend of florals in the heart?
    Just say no to oniomania.

I'd say no 19 does have aldehydes up top, but far less than No 5 and No 22. Probably not enough for people to call it an aldehydic floral. Aldehyides are very frequent in florals, but I guess here we're talking about the perfumes where they appear in large quantities.

cacio

Last time I wore K de Krizia I was surprised at how good it was !

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    These have become a favorite category of mine these past couple years.

Some favorites ( in my collection, or imminently so ):

Frederic Malle - Iris Poudre ( very abstract, I love the cool-to-warm transition ).

Chanel - Cuir de Russie ( I own the EDT - it's more florals than leather on my skin, but what a floral ).

Comme des Garcons - Stephen Jones ( brilliant stony violets ).

Alain Delon - Iquitos ( more light-hearted than the others; rose-jasmine pop ).

I sampled some Puredistance Opardu recently, but sadly it was a busy day of sniffing, so I haven't had time to give it a full wearing on skin.

Any favorites?

Opardu is one of my favourites of late. The lilac in the opening is quite something, sillage and longevity is not great but damn that if that opening doesn’t put a dopey smile on my face.

No.5 and Cuir de Russie are my favourites in this category. The strange beautiful of La Myrrhe and sublime Une Fleur de Cassie also get much love from me. I also enjoyed Vega and Liù.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

I enjoy N° 5, Rive Gauche, Eau de Métal, Arpège and Yendi.
    Last edited by easyfish; 21st April 2014 at 05:01 AM.

Aldehydic florals are not exactly my thing but I still have a fistful of favorites in this category…Here're some.

Cuir De Russie EDT
    L'Ame Soeur
    CDG for Stephen Jones Millenery
    Baghari
    No.22
    (I totally respect it but can't pull it off because of the overall sweetness)

Probably less floral but still somewhat fitting…

Futur
    Metal

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Not mentioned yet:

Nocturnes by Caron

Last edited by OPomone; 25th April 2014 at 07:48 PM.

So many, for instance the mythical Chanel N. 5, First V&A, Joy Patou, White Diamonds Elisabeth Taylor, Miss Dior, Arpege, D&G Dolce e Gabbana. More modern takes on the theme are Le Labo Aldehyde 44, some from Andrea Maack as Craft and Dark, John Galliano by Galliano or some of the Chanel Exclusifs such Bois des Iles.

Chanel N°5 would be the perfect example i guess, and Chanel Allure homme Sport
    Last edited by OneTimeOnePlace; 21st April 2014 at 11:59 AM.

Lancome Climat: It's a bit nauseating to me, but in little doses, it ain't too bad. I have a little stoppered bottle of the edt that came in a set with other perfumes.

Paco Rabanne Metal: Cool, rainy, hazy greens, with rose and hyacinth. Dries down to an androgynous shampoo-like aroma.

Miglin Pheromone for Men: Dry, dusty green. Has some of the florals of the ladies version. A tough one to wear in summer, but I've gotten lots of compliments on it. It was my signature for quite awhile.

Molyneux Vivre: One of the few fragrances that I bought mainly for the bottle. The fragrance is very soapy. The scent doesn't seem to match the the "spirit" of the bottle, which is one of my most favorite flacons. A very masculine leaning parfum bottle. I'm lucky to have a half ounce parfum, since it's now very hard to get.

Basenotes Plus

I need to try CdG 2 again -- don't have any aldehydic florals in my collection....yet
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Amouage Gold Man
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

L'Interdit , L'Aimant, First and my most favorite - Vega

Like aforementioned correctly, No. 19 has indeed limited, but quite well-defined notes of this type. Incidentally, this is also my absolutely favorite fragrance in this category.

Thanks for the answers, all.

Interesting to hear about the Opardu longevity... that's definitely a worry, at its price-point. ( I'm already madly in love with one scent - Malle's Une Fleur de Cassie - that's on the underpowered side, I don't need another! ) None the less, I will seek out a decant/sample.

It seems like Vega is a must-try.

I'm quite fond of the of the older formula Bois des Iles, but the new juice, while quality, is essentially Cuir de Russie part two, so not entirely necessary given the bludgeon-size bottle I own.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 21st April 2014 at 10:33 PM.

Blog Entries

You may like to try Sublime by Patou. sparkling, tingly chypre, aldehyde floral. Ylang ylang and oak moss are key players. I just bought this one. I find it very rich though and will probably have to let it go.

Have you tried Guerlain's Liu? If not, and you get to a Guerlain boutique to try Vega, you might also give Liu a sniff. To me, Liu seems even more aldelydic/floral than Vega, perhaps because of the addition of sandalwood in Vega.

Pardon my ignorance... but can someone explain the difference between an aldehydic floral vs a regular ole' floral? Aren't there a ton of different types of aldehydes used in perfumery?

I like Equipage, Iquitos, Insense, Aramis 900 (at times) and Tabac. Not much a fan of JHL. Just a stab at it, but aside from Iquitos which was already mentioned, I'd guess those all might be considered aldehydic florals, no? I also like 3rd Man, but for some reason I wouldn't think of using the term aldehydic to descibe it.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    It seems like Vega is a must-try.
    yes, and you have to hurry, because it seems that Vega will be discontinued in short time.

And yes, Liu is also beautiful.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Aldehydes have a way of adding a soapish sparkle to florals. I've certainly enjoyed these few:-

Chanel No. 22
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Chanel No.5
    Robert Piguet Baghari
    Lanvin Arpege

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    Pardon my ignorance... but can someone explain the difference between an aldehydic floral vs a regular ole' floral? Aren't there a ton of different types of aldehydes used in perfumery?

I like Equipage, Iquitos, Insense, Aramis 900 (at times) and Tabac. Not much a fan of JHL. Just a stab at it, but aside from Iquitos which was already mentioned, I'd guess those all might be considered aldehydic florals, no? I also like 3rd Man, but for some reason I wouldn't think of using the term aldehydic to descibe it.
    Not sure there is one -- the Chanel florals are considered heavily aldehylic if that helps

I think Insense is the nearest one you have to an AF

Last edited by OPomone; 25th April 2014 at 07:40 PM.

^^^^ hey all, thanks for the insight.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Blog Entries

http://www.luckyscent.com/product/31...lubin-by-lubin

I like this re-introduced Lubin, too. Even though the bottle is Top-heavy due to nutty stone lid.

And don't forget about Caléche, but now vintage is a must.
    Last edited by kumquat; 22nd April 2014 at 09:33 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi Suga!

I was enamored with Iris Poudre, but ended up going with the similar ADP Iris Nobile. It's just ridiculous, in the best possible way.

Probably too obvious, but what about Joy extrait?

And I'll echo the chorus for Amouage Gold Man...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Out of the fragrances mentioned... I have tried Chanel Cuir de Russie, Chanel No. 5, Gucci No. 1, Dolce and Gabbana D&G. I think in all of these cases Eau de Toilette concentration is the best.

I would love to try out Andy Tauer's unisex Noontide Petals as it is centered around aldehydes and is a homage to what Tauer refers to as the "glittering age of perfumery", with references to classics such as No. 5 and Arpège.

Mmmm ... Be careful what you wish for.
    NU_be: Mercury