Code of Conduct

Default Is there good website that shows the safe percentages of essential oils I can use

I looked at the Ifra website. I am not sure if we have to follow the guidelines here in the US and I am not sure how you go about figuring out the percentage of the oil you can use in a product. Is there a good website that explains all this better and how do you figure it out? Is it based on the amount that is in the product with all the other oils and carrier included or is it done differently? I am confused. Sorry to ask so many questions but my husband and I want to purchase oils this month to work on making a woodsy fragrance for a his co worker and also make some as gifts to give away so we want to be safe and not waste our money as well.

Default Re: Is there good website that shows the safe percentages of essential oils I can use

IFRA has some standards (under "standards") that relate to some potentially toxic fragrance ingredients in cosmetics that are either to be used in small quantities or are prohibited under IFRA standards. If it were me, I would avoid these altogether and they are probably not all that easy for non-professionals to buy anyhow. I would just ask whomever you are buying the oils from about any problems with the ingredients, including any potential allergens. If they are reputable dealers, they won't be selling anything you would need to worry about without warning you. Otherwise, the ratio of oils to alcohol depends on what strength of fragrance you are creating, i.e., eau de parfum, eau de toilette, eau de cologne. Short of outright poisoning someone, you are probably not legally bound by IFRA guidelines as long as you aren't selling these fragrances. I'm sure there are reference books for this but unfortunately I don't know what they are.

Default Re: Is there good website that shows the safe percentages of essential oils I can use

I think the idea for a reference book is a great idea. I am feeling a little frustrated after going to the Ifra site. I wonder what the soapers use for guidelines. All the oils are for sale on the reputable site and they sell restricted ones too, and if I could afford it I would buy one of the natural perfumery coursebooks but just can't. I am just hoping we can figure something out so I can eventually buy some nice oils to make something with. I think I will search for a good reference book to buy. Thanks for the response

Try Amazon for the book. Your local library might also be able to get something for you on Interlibrary loan if you ask them. In my state, you can get almost anything that way. IFRA is really designed for the fragrance industry so it is not really set up for lay people to use. Pure Food and Drug (U.S. government) site might also have something.

Thank you again BurgundyMarsh. Have an awesome week