Code of Conduct

Question Professional signature fragrance for a 20 year old business student?

Hey guys and gals! I am relatively new to the world of fragrance, and am looking for a signature fragrance that I can wear year-round. I want it to be something that smells masculine and professional, but isn't too mature for my age. I like the smell of woods, leather, and some tobacco.

Mainly, I want a cologne that is assertive, but still is liked by the fairer sex . I also need it to be relatively inexpensive (<$50). Any suggestions? (And thanks in advance).

Default Re: Professional signature fragrance for a 20 year old business student?

John Varvatos (original)
    Michael Kors for Men

Default Re: Professional signature fragrance for a 20 year old business student?

Burberry London

Post Thanks / Like

Three things you might try: Bulgari pour Homme, Guerlain Heritage, Tom Ford for Men. You should be able to get these on line within your budget or just over it (for the Tom Ford). These are all tasteful, "grown up" fragrances but if you want to seem "professional" you also need to seem "grown up." Personally, I think any of these would be great on a serious college student. They are pretty versatile and not likely to get you sent home in an office situation but try them for yourself. I think you can test all three at Neiman Marcus or Saks and Sephora has the Tom Ford and maybe the Bulgari (no Guerlain there for some reason).

I love leather and tobacco notes but unfortunately they are often not popular with women your age. Some Basenoters find Tom Ford for Men a bit boring but on me (who is a lot older than you are, let's be clear) it seems to be a great hit with ladies of all ages. My personal favorite of these is Heritage.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you in Stern? lol sorry had to ask. Eau Savage, modern reformulation should work well

Post Thanks / Like

$50 regular price is a little of a constraint.

I suggest Aramis 900, woody, slightly resinous, and with a touch of leather. I don't know if it's under 50 though. Even better, you could check on the female side of Estee Lauder the wonderful Azuree, a grand confident leather (which I think goes for about $45 regular price at Macy's). Strangely marketed to women as it is close to Aramis (regular) just richer and more refined.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

VC&A - Tsar

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Burberry London
    +1 For the price this has all the notes you like.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't think you will end up with one bottle of signature scent for the year round after stepping here. That's what i thought so too.

+2 Burberry london

eau sauvage (though that's a little more than your budget)
    London
    Fahrenheit

At the low end, I also wouldn't write off Quorum, a decent cheap "professional" find. Good leather wood and tobacco notes, though not a typical summer and spring fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

D&G pour Homme
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jil Sander Man

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Embassy View Post
    I wouldn't think you will end up with one bottle of signature scent for the year round after stepping here. That's what i thought so too.

+2 Burberry london
    +3 for burberry london
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Guerlain L'instant pour homme. Burberry London is also great choise.
    Please check out my selling list:

YSL Opium homme EDP, Rive Gauche pour homme, Villoresi Uomo, Dior Homme vintage, Body Kouros, Guerlain homme intense etc.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...-etc-Worldwide!

Post Thanks / Like

London

Platinum Egoiste
    YSL L'homme

Gucci Pour Homme II
    D&G - The One For Men

Post Thanks / Like

+4 for burberry london
    you can get it at walgreens for close to $40 dollars (:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anemoneman View Post
    Hey guys and gals! I am relatively new to the world of fragrance, and am looking for a signature fragrance that I can wear year-round. I want it to be something that smells masculine and professional, but isn't too mature for my age. I like the smell of woods, leather, and some tobacco.

Mainly, I want a cologne that is assertive, but still is liked by the fairer sex . I also need it to be relatively inexpensive (<$50). Any suggestions? (And thanks in advance).
    Signature EDT and year round doesn't go well together.
    You need a signature for colder weather and a signature for warmer weather, at least

My advice:

Winter: Dior Fahrenheit
    Summer: Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Fall: YSL Body Kouros
    Spring: D&G The One

Clubbing frag: JGP Le Male or Paco Rabanne 1 Million
    Date frag: Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent - One is initially treated to a citric blast of bittersweetness from tangy grapefruit and zesty lemon. Sweet spearmint invades the citrus duet, and, with its brightness, fosters a refreshing and cooling sensation. This invigorating medley brews for a spell before meandering to the adaptive middle. Here, in the heart, heaps of coriander, with its spicy and faintly sweet grassiness, commingle with the tart and vegetal rhubarb leaf, and envelop the opening concoction infusing it with warmth and greenness. A faint strawlike something twinkles in the background, along with the minty citrus. Transitioning to the waiting base, dusty and dry cedar, somewhat floral and honeyed ambergris and a tinge of vanilla intermingle to generate a pleasing drydown. This all-season composition has average projection, after an hour becoming a skin scent, and longevity, 5-8 hours. In view of the foregoing as well as its favorable price point and wonderful versatility, an enthusiastic "thumbs up" is warranted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VC&Aph View Post
    VC&A - Tsar
    Tsar is an interesting thought. I was intrigued by the Burberry London recommendation (not a high opinion of Burberry) so I went out and tested it. It was delightful, though the cinnamon, spicy, woody, leather, tobacco, port aura does tend to conjure up Daddy with a Pipe and a Glass of Port in His Favorite Leather Chair at Christmas. It was a bit over $50 at Sephora but you can get a mini on Amazon for as little as $4.95.

Burberry London
    Boss Bottled/Boss No. 6
    YSL L'Homme

+1 on both YSL L'Homme and D&G pour Homme. Both catch some flak here because they're a little boring compared to some niche offerings, but both are certainly crowd-pleasers, and seem to fit your criteria. Bonus as they're both easily available and not overly expensive. I wear both on occasion, and have received nothing but compliments from your regular person who doesn't devote much of their time discussing and thinking about fragrances.

My first thought was Bvlgari pour homme- the original. Then Polo- has the notes you like, however, you may consider it too mature. Maybe sniff Polo Modern Reserve? Fresher, lighter, but still true to the original.

Post Thanks / Like

YSL L'Homme
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927