Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: What's up at The Perfumed Court?

Quote Originally Posted by tkcolumbia View Post
    Some of the inventory at TPC has disappeared. I had a few scents in my wishlist that have vanished, from wishlist and site inventory. I assume that they will appear on STC when it goes up... fingers crossed.
    Yes, it has. I often check out the "one of a kind specials," and the page is now empty.

Blog Entries

I think the concept is flawed. The business model is to decant perfumes and sell them. We, as the customers, don't know whether the decants contain the genuine fragrance until we receive delivery and open up the vial and sniff.

Then, why, Good Grief !, would a business owner flaunt a name on the shingle of the enterprise that plants doubts into the subconscious mind: "Surrender to Chance" Hah ! I want to know where my money is going and what I am buying.

Not even in the stock market would I "surrender to chance" - it would be a calculated risk depending on my risk tolerance.

Is this idea a sweet reference to Love, Passion and Surrender ? Nice, but ...
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Well....STC's avatar on Facebook is the Honey Badger, so I suspect that means.....huh ?

The claim is that their site will open tomorrow, on Easter, so I guess we will just have to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Osi1s View Post
    colour me crazy but I have a sneaky suspicion many people outside of this thread and perhaps some in it won't care about the name, it will come down to; selection, price, shipping, and customer service (Not necessarily in that order) as to whether they use stc, tpc, tpp etc.
    Oh so true !. I firmly believe TPC was a victim of its own self created hype and misguided eliteism. From a business viewpoint, the original idea was good in providing decants and samples of rare or discontinued perfumes. The market was there and success should have easily followed . Provided of course, the owners of TPC kept their feet on the ground and followed the lessons of other more established online retailers. With that knowledge at hand, a stronger focus should have been placed on serious and prompt customer service, faster and more efficient order processing and delivery and most importantly pricing. They have failed to fully understand the concept of fully integrating these components to drive their business and ensure loyalty and patronage in the future.
    What we got was a needlessly amateur approach to business bereft of long term focus for survival in the marketplace. I always had the inkling that they did this for a reason : perhaps to underline their intention to stay far removed from the nitty gritty of the world of business. A fanciful world of their own making. Like what kids do to create a world of fantasy in their backyards that the "adults" can and will never comprehend.
    Before anybody starts to complain of unfairness toward TPC. I have spent hundreds of dollars in decants and samples over the past few years. I have a very keen idea as to all areas of how they conduct business. Everything from the overly dramatic annonucements of an employee taking ill " she is feeling rather under the weather at this time and has taken some well deserved rest" to the continual lack of proper standards in shipping " we understand that many items do not always get scanned prior to delivery" . Funny but true. I have the emails to prove it.
    Plainly, the owners of TPC have to ask themselves the question: is this a bona fide business or just a halfhearted attempt at one?. If they pick the latter, then dont expect to survive for too long in the marketplace. That ostensibly genteel and "dignified" manner of doing business may be better suited to a perfume club with Sunday morning tea meets. For the rest of us, all we want is our perfume samples with no frills. Is that not we are paying for ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    Then, why, Good Grief !, would a business owner flaunt a name on the shingle of the enterprise that plants doubts into the subconscious mind: "Surrender to Chance" Hah ! I want to know where my money is going and what I am buying.

Not even in the stock market would I "surrender to chance" - it would be a calculated risk depending on my risk tolerance.

Is this idea a sweet reference to Love, Passion and Surrender ? Nice, but ...
    Hrmm yeah cant argue with that but I guess they are hoping that most existing customers will know their history of providing authentic perfumes, via basenotes, ebay and TPC and it wont be an issue and for new clients well if they have a brain they will do their research and they will probably find threads here, MUA etc where authenticity, customer service and turn around times will be verified.

FragranceX, TPC, TPP all have dodgey looking websites, I know I did my research before I used any of them and thanks to helpful threads here et al, I got peace of mind and none of them have let me down yet.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

The name seems pretty apt to me, just a romantic way of saying 'why not give it a shot?' which is what ordering decants of stuff to try is all about isn't it?

Sites up.
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Not everything in the world has to be Walmart or Amazon.com, sheesh!

I doubt that selling hand-decanted fragrance is ever going to be a business plan that attracts hyper-efficient Wharton grads.
    Last edited by HazelMae; 8th April 2012 at 06:59 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HazelMae View Post
    Not everything in the world has to be Walmart or Amazon.com, sheesh!

I doubt that selling hand-decanted fragrance is ever going to be a business plan that attracts hyper-efficient Wharton grads.
    Business is business. Rent has to be paid. Walmart has the principle to never overstock inventory and keeps tabs as each item is sold. If you embrace chance, you set yourself up for failure.

Successful business people have the dogma: UNDER budget and AHEAD of schedule.

I think TPC has a potential headache on its hands - sampler packs. Surely these should have been removed? Try searching for 'Serge Lutens': hardly a fragrance by this house available but tons of sample packs with a Serge Lutens sample (or two) included...

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Meh, I wouldn't make too much of the name, nor extrapolate too much on the philosophy. I'm sure they are not surrendering to chaos and that suitable planning and record keeping will be done. This is not a new line of work for the ladies, just a new venue.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Meh, I wouldn't make too much of the name, nor extrapolate too much on the philosophy. I'm sure they are not surrendering to chaos and that suitable planning and record keeping will be done. This is not a new line of work for the ladies, just a new venue.
    After a first look at the new website: www.surrendertochance.com I have the impression that they are tooo nice. They try tooo hard to accommodate.

A serious flaw is that the INVENTORY TRACKING SYSTEM is not, as yet, up to par. That should have been in place as a fundamental tool, before opening shop.

One thing I don't like about surrendertochance is they're not offering 1.5ml spray decants. I don't like vials and 1.5ml sprays really gives me enough to decide if I'm interested in a full bottle purchase. Now they want to push me into a more expensive 2ml decant which now limits the variety to less choices for same amount of money. I hope they reconsider the 1.5ml as an option.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    One thing I don't like about surrendertochance is they're not offering 1.5ml spray decants. I don't like vials and 1.5ml sprays really gives me enough to decide if I'm interested in a full bottle purchase. Now they want to push me into a more expensive 2ml decant which now limits the variety to less choices for same amount of money. I hope they reconsider the 1.5ml as an option.
    Not only that, there are no photos of the vials, sizes, decants like on the website www.theperfumedcourt.com

Instead, they reassure the potential customer that if he/she is disappointed about whatever they get shipped inside a plastic baggie, the customer should mail them a clear photo and support the claim like that.

WHY NOT PROVIDE PHOTOS - from the outset - so there is no "disappointment" . Too much fuss, too many loose ends.

Both sites are up. I don't understand. I'm guessing some of the ladies split from TPC to make their own site. Now there are two separate companies, and some of the frags supplied by these two women are no longer on TPC and will instead be on STC? Is that a correct assessment of the situation?

Now if I was the sole TPC proprietor I would have sent out an e-mail saying business as usual and maybe even advertising some special discounts (ideally that last longer than 8 hours, unlike most of their previous special offers).

Maybe the two Surrender to Chance women were the internet savvy ones (The facebook page rebranding certainly points to this) and poor old go-it-alone TPC lady can't even do a mail shot anymore!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anť View Post
    Now if I was the sole TPC proprietor I would have sent out an e-mail saying business as usual and maybe even advertising some special discounts (ideally that last longer than 8 hours, unlike most of their previous special offers).

Maybe the two Surrender to Chance women were the internet savvy ones (The facebook page rebranding certainly points to this) and poor old go-it-alone TPC lady can't even do a mail shot anymore!
    Emphasis added to your post.

How can you say these heavy words against a Basenotes member who is respected and liked ?!!

How can you say these heavy words against a Basenotes member who is respected and liked ?!!
    lol you seriously need to chill, that was hardly disrespectful and his comments on TPC's post split business practices are quite apt.
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

The same way you can nitpick and fault-find Patty and Lisa's new endeavor, who are also well-liked in the online perfume community.

such an ugly thread. basenotes at its worst.

Businesses come & go for many reasons.....I'll buy from whatever resource is available. Best of luck to both businesses.
    Now, stanmar What I really want to know is where I can find one of these: "A perfume club with Sunday morning tea meets" Sounds divine!
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Sadly, l agree with you.

Anyhoo, l've just taken the plunge & put in an order with them, using the coupon code kindly provided by petruccjic in the "coupons & discounts" thread. l will reserve judgement on their business practices, based on how my order is handled.
    Personally l prefer the look of their website to that of TPC, & found it very easy to use. And l'm pretty sure that most of the critics will end up buying from them anyway.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Sadly, l agree with you.

Anyhoo, l've just taken the plunge & put in an order with them, using the coupon code kindly provided by petruccjic in the "coupons & discounts" thread.
    Thanks for the heads up, going to place an order myself.
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Sorry, these sites are a ripoff. I can't see how anyone would keep them in business. Paying $20 for 3 ml of anything is absurd.

Ought to be "Surrender Your Wallet", but if the split was amicable, I wish each party luck.

Blushes. Okay I don't think hippie etc. I just think Abba 'Take A Chance On Me' LOL

Had a nose round the newbies site and the prices are not back nor is shipping to the UK. Well the ones I looked at the prices seemed quite reasonable.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Sadly, l agree with you.

Anyhoo, l've just taken the plunge & put in an order with them, using the coupon code kindly provided by petruccjic in the "coupons & discounts" thread. l will reserve judgement on their business practices, based on how my order is handled.
    Personally l prefer the look of their website to that of TPC, & found it very easy to use.
    Same here.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Agreed.

I looked at Surrendertochance.com and I liked it. I'll definitely be using the new site at some stage. The website is easy to use ,navigate and much like The Perfumed Court. I was very tempted to get some of that rare Les Larmes Sacrees de Thebes parfum extrait ! The next time I want to order some samples, I will use Surrendertochance.com . The shipping is gratefully, reasonable too .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by cryptic View Post
    The same way you can nitpick and fault-find Patty and Lisa's new endeavor, who are also well-liked in the online perfume community.
    Not really the same. Ursula was merely pointing out aspects of the surrendertochance site/sample pictures, whereas this other user directly called someone "old" and "poor". Quite different. But I agree with the previous poster who said this thread is quickly turning ugly. I wish both new companies success. I also hope TPC considers lowing the shipping charge. With just 1 person/location now shipping out samples, 6 dollars is way too much. a 4x8 padded mailer filled with samples shouldn't cost more than 1.75-2.00 tops.

Blog Entries

That this discussion turns "ugly" is a fact of life. On the one hand, we wish the new enterprise good luck, and consider the Good Will that the person who remains at The Perfumed Court has. That is why I defended the "old and poor" ...

We really want to have a source for decants so that we can pursue perfume hunting, sampling, on the path of discovery of beauty in perfumery. We are quite willing to go - just a little - out of our way - to support these decant shops so that they can remain in business.

But, when it comes to dishing out money ... it will always travel to the best deal. And there, the decant shops - old or new - are at a disadvantage. The savvy internet shopper knows how to break down pricing attached to milliliters, and then the item seems high.

Unless, of course, you want it bad enough and it is of such rarety that you cannot find it otherwise.

Otherwise, full bottles sold at a discount at on line shops which carry the genuine items, are money wise much more feasible.

So, this thread inadvertently turning "ugly" shows the duality between wanting to support a valiant enterprise that brings us a service and hard calculations when it comes to money.