Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question What's up at The Perfumed Court?

A coup ? An abdication ? A banishment ?

I got an email from Lisa & Patty announcing their new decant site : surrendertochance.com

I've been a happy addict at The Court for awhile now. News ?
    My motto for life: "If you have to choose, choose BOTH."

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What's up at The Perfumed Court?

Interesting!
    I googled and the site is "down for maintenance" at present.

Default The Perfumed Court going out of business?

I just got this email, which makes me wonder. And a bit sad as I have had amazing good luck with PC over the years. Here is the email, and sure many of us will be getting this message since many here use them.

Greetings!

Lisa Lawler and Patty White are opening a new perfume sample and decant website - *surrendertochance.com - *this week! *It is under construction as we finish up all the details to make this a wonderful resource for you.

Like us on Facebook to get the latest news on the grand opening.

We have loved bringing perfume to you for all these years at The Perfumed Court and hope very much that we will have the joy of seeing you at our new home.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

queen of the universe

It's up by me.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

The Perfumed Court is up for me, too.

surrendertochance.com is, however, down for maintenance.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Default Re: The Perfumed Court going out of business?

Wow, that's interesting.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

I think Diane is the one to talk to. I'm sure the site is in the same good working order as ever.
    Last edited by pluran; 2nd April 2012 at 05:59 AM.

This is spam according to whois lookup registered to domainsbyproxy.com via godaddy. TPC is registered to a named individual. Besides the fact its not even a live site yet. Check your email headers or ask someone to help you. ; o )

By the looks of things it's either an oddly elaborate April Fool's prank, or a schism, leaving Diane as sole proprietor of TPC?

This is the email:

Dear ***,

Lisa Lawler and Patty White are opening a new perfume sample and decant website - surrendertochance.com - this week! It is under construction as we finish up all the details to make this a wonderful resource for you.

Like us on Facebook to get the latest news on the grand opening.

We have loved bringing perfume to you for all these years at The Perfumed Court and hope very much that we will have the joy of seeing you at our new home.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I was wondering why without Diane. Maybe a 1 April thing? But in most places it's already April 2.
    TPC site still opens.

Blog Entries

Very interesting! Please do update us if you get any more news.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I received the same email also. Any news on what's going on? Does this mean the current inventory is being split between two companies now? If so, that's too bad, as it's very convenient that The Perfumed Court has decants of most everything in one place.

Basenotes Institution

Yes, I got the same email and Elena of Perfumeshrine has noted this change as well.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I was just browsing violets at TPC. The site was still up as of this afternoon.

Basenotes Institution

Yes, took me by surprise when I got my email announcing the new website.I do wish Lisa and Patty all the very best with it. Here's hoping pricing will be competitive !

oh man that sucks, was just about to order some new samples, bound to be some disruption as the sole tpc sorts out her inventory and distribution and this new biz for the other ladies is bound to have some new business teething issues

I've heard that TPC will continue

Basenotes Institution

I gather Diane is taking over TPC - in the 'About Us' section of TPC - it only goes on to mention Diane after the initial introduction. Lisa and Patty are opening up surrendertochance.com.

my last order went out on Saturday

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I gather Diane is taking over TPC - in the 'About Us' section of TPC - it only goes on to mention Diane after the initial introduction. Lisa and Patty are opening up surrendertochance.com.
    I have the impression that two of the three have left, but that Diane is still there, running the business. Here is the link:

http://theperfumedcourt.com/about_us.aspx

I was not on the e-mail list before, but now I am going to put my name down and then be able to follow the "show". For the time being, my orders are shipped out and on the way, and I will hold off a bit until the dust settles.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Lisa and Patty announced on the old Perfumed Court FB page that they were starting a new sample/decant business called Surrender to Chance. The new site should be operational within the next couple of days. Diane is still doing TPC. The TPC site looks the same and she is still in business--just w/o Patty and Lisa. I'm sure there is a story there....

Looks like a hijack and backstabbing operation imo ... no way Diane would allow former partners to open a competing site and allow them to mass e-mail PF customers and use the PF facebook to advertise their efforts.

Looks like a mutiny and treachery to me.

Surrendertochance is a terrible name and makes no sense. The logo is absolutely horrible - i googled "surrendertochance" and found they actually had a contest at 99designs and paid $800 for a logo that looks like it was made from clip art.

They threw away their money on a logo that they could have gotten for 20 bucks. For $800, they should of easily of have been able to get a high quality memorable mark.

Here is their contest and atrocious logo they chose

http://99designs.com/logo-design/con...ommerce-128909

Default PerfumedCourt and SurrendertoChance - Treachery most Foul

Looks like a hijack and backstabbing operation imo ... no way Diane would allow former partners to open a competing site and allow them to mass e-mail PF customers and use the PF facebook to advertise their efforts.

Looks like a mutiny and treachery to me.

Surrendertochance is a terrible name and makes no sense. The logo is absolutely horrible - i googled "surrendertochance" and found they actually had a contest at 99designs and paid $800 for a logo that looks like it was made from clip art.

They threw away their money on a logo that they could have gotten for 20 bucks. For $800, they should of easily of have been able to get a high quality memorable mark.

Here is their contest and atrocious logo they chose. It's the perfect example of a client not knowing anything about design and what a good mark should be -- it should NOT be busy-looking and look like clip art. There wer dozens of submitted designs much better than the atrocious design they chose.

Taken all together, the women behind surrendertochance are terrible and not business-minded. They chose a cheap ugly logo over a much better one like this ?

http://99designs.com/logo-design/con...ommerce-128909

N.B.- I have no links to either party, just commenting as an observer on the situation and with plenty of experience in these matters.

Basenotes Institution

fsface -*LOL* Now that I understand but we really don't know the reason behind the breakaway from TPC...... other than speculation.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 3rd April 2012 at 04:45 AM.

Default Re: PerfumedCourt and SurrendertoChance - Treachery most Foul

This is a blatant copyright infringement. I've had that design embroidered on the backside of my drawers for years! Anybody have the 800 number of the copyright police handy?

interesting to say the least...

Got that email as well...i think only time can tell now

To be honest, the logo you posted is quite an eyesore.

That aside, I'm a Perfumed Court customer and haven't received any email from this other company.

Blog Entries

I had a good laugh at Post #2. Ha ha ha

Seriously, I think the choice of the name is not wise. When I go on line and order something, anything ... already my mind is going like, "Will I like it ?" (I cannot test it in a brick and mortar store.) That feeling is increased by a name like that. Bad subconscious advertising method.

A restaurant named "A Greasy Spoon" (they trying to be cute, funny) would turn me off, also. Same here.

On the contrary, "The Perfumed Court" had a regal connotation of fine wares fit for the king, so to speak.

It is all about advertising. What would Donny Deutsch say ?

I agree with themoogle that the logo is too busy ... but it is kind of cute in a Hallmark cards type way, here is what the girls choose, a girly kind of thing:

2 bottles, resembling a man and a woman, spraying at each other, and "surrender" well, well, well. For dainty people who like embroidery - maybe.

Look, Nasomatto puts out a sculpture of a dog doing its business and dead flowers ... 2 start-up business ladies bring a logo with embroidery ... Only time will tell. It takes more than artwork to do business, but sometimes I wonder !

Cool story

Its not interesting its annoying, they were a handy service and I cant see how with the 2 of them leaving TPC wont be affected for a while and vice versa this new one will have teething problems, so wheres a chap to go for samples in the interim, I guess a mix of websites instead of the one

man basenotes up and down like a yo yo, now this...my fragrance world is crumbling!

Its not interesting its annoying, they were a handy service and I cant see how with the 2 of them leaving TPC wont be affected for a while and vice versa this new one will have teething problems, so wheres a chap to go for samples in the interim, I guess a mix of websites instead of the one

man basenotes up and down like a yo yo, now this...my fragrance world is crumbling!

Quote Originally Posted by fsface View Post
    Well, I mean, for how long did you think 3 women could agree on anything together?
    lol, yup... partnerships are the worst business structure ever.

Blog Entries

If two are leaving, does this mean that they are taking with them 2/3rds of the inventory ? And the sole one who is left at TPC has 1/3rd of the inventory ?

That could mean that one person alone at TPC will have a hell of a time to fill vials and decants to complete the orders - she may have to hire someone. Price goes UP. Enterprise goes down. We shall see.

Interesting to say the least.

terrible name, terrible logo. another website where i will never buy a single sample.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    terrible name, terrible logo. another website where i will never buy a single sample.
    Ditto.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

This is definitely something many BNers will likely want to consider, but it belongs in the Industry discussion forum.

Why don't we all wait for some facts hey?

If it's a real concern we can always contact TPC for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    This is definitely something many BNers will likely want to consider, but it belongs in the Industry discussion forum.
    Agree.

Should have been called surrender to fragrance, or something like that.

Very surprising.

I wish all three the best of luck. It just felt to me like an era had passed, as most eras must do, when I read this email.

And since all three owned some of the samples, I am sure shuffling of inventory, etc. will cause some issues. All life and business changes, I just hate to see this one disrupted. *sniffle*

Marketing comment: I really do not get the new name the two leaving chose for their new endeavor.... Or is it just me? Weird. But maybe wonderful connotations for them. Just not sure it really sells the type of business they seem to have planned. Who knows? Dzing! is my favorite perfume! But that name is evocative. Not sure "Surrender to Chance" says much of anything, but again, may it serve them well!
    Last edited by KarmaLee; 3rd April 2012 at 04:11 AM.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by KarmaLee View Post
    I wish all three the best of luck. It just felt to me like an era had passed, as most eras must do, when I read this email.

And since all three owned some of the samples, I am sure shuffling of inventory, etc. will cause some issues. All life and business changes, I just hate to see this one disrupted. *sniffle*
    This is how I feel KarmaLee. It's the end of an era . I do very much wish them all luck .

Basenotes Plus

I wish everyone luck in their businesses.

Surrender To Chance is a strange name indeed for perfume supplier and if that indeed their logo, they were ripped off. Maybe they will be selling other types of things??
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post

Surrender To Chance is a strange name indeed for perfume supplier and if that indeed their logo, they were ripped off. Maybe they will be selling other types of things??
    Hmmm, the name is a bit odd. It's like a name for an online dating site. They paid too much for their logo ! Oh well, we must be patient and wait. Patty and Lisa know what they are doing, i am sure.

surrender in fragrante

You're probably right themoogle, but still, I'd rather deal with all the facts before slagging off people and their businesses.

Do you have any contacts at TPC? It would be great to know more.

On MUA everyone wanted to know who was the one at very slow shipping of items? When you order(I haven't for a very long time), the samples can come from three different locations. One is very very very slow at shipping. I believe if it is found out to be Diane she will lose customers big time.
    DONNA

LOL Mimi - that is what I thought, too. I wish them best of luck. I had a very unfortunate experience with TPC last summer that wasn't really resolved to my satisfaction. It made me want to scream, actually! Perhaps this new venture will address some of those deficiencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Hmmm, the name is a bit odd. It's like a name for an online dating site. They paid too much for their logo ! Oh well, we must be patient and wait. Patty and Lisa know what they are doing, i am sure.

Just make sure if you're outside the US you ask TPC about their policy regarding lost/seized packages, as they didn't have a policy in place last year. Someone there wrote that my item was "Cologne" on the Customs Declaration sticker, so of course it was "destroyed" by authorities as per the law.

25ml of precious vintage Caron Alpona parfum extrait sealed in a crystal flacon.. can't forget that one, and had to wait for MasterCard to return my funds by a chargeback because nobody responded to my multiple e-mails for weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    On MUA everyone wanted to know who was the one at very slow shipping of items? When you order(I haven't for a very long time), the samples can come from three different locations. One is very very very slow at shipping. I believe if it is found out to be Diane she will lose customers big time.
    Yes....and whoever it is, always had the decants I wanted most out of my whole order!

Only used them once, very nice to deal with, excellent samples.

I'm very interested in what StC will have to offer in terms of inventory. Of the three orders I've placed with TPC thus far, most items are dispatched quite quickly but there are two exceptions and it looks as though both these exceptions were sent from the same place/person.

I've read a lot of things about TPC here and I know there are people who've had problems but I've been very happy with TPC. They have an AMAZING inventory! True, the samples/decants aren't the cheapest but I think it's important to remember what these things are worth to you as the customer. Of course the samples and decants will cost more per ml than a FB, that's only to be expected! The fact remains that you can still try dozens of fragrances for the same cost as a FB of just one of those perfumes. That kind of service is worth more than money to me. If it weren't for TPC I wouldn't have been able to smell so many of the fragrances I've been after. Makes it cheaper in the long run - I'll only FBs of things I like.

This sort of thing happens all the time in business. Think of Steve Jobs, Apple, and Next.

First there were four... then there were three... then they splintered into two factions. Now, with only two still working together, let's hope they stay that way...

The best of luck to everyone involved.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Competition is usually good for the customer. Let's see how TPC handles my next order.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I understand this as well. Sometimes shipping was very slow even within the US - for me at least. USPS was the problem I was told.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 3rd April 2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: grammar

Yes the name is odd.

My biggest concern is whether either of the two entities will be as comprehensive as before. Or will I have to hunt around to find things? I felt TPC was pretty efficient, albeit a tad pricey on some things.

Basenotes Institution

Although I loved TPC - I found the prices were getting too high for me . I hope to see some positive changes re. pricing with the new site.