Code of Conduct

Post Alec Lawless RIP

I have just heard that Alec Lawless, the skilled perfumer behind the Essentially Me range and the Boris YouTube videos has died suddenly. Iíve not been able to trace down any details or get confirmation but wanted to report this as a great loss to perfumery.

I have a quite different approach to perfume making from Alec but I nevertheless saw him as an inspiration. Not only his skill, but his acerbic wit and irrepressible humour will be greatly missed.

This news was a shock and cause for sadness to me and we can all imagine how much greater the loss to those close to him. My sincere condolences to his friends and family.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Default Re: Alec Lawless RIP

Hi,
    I learned about this sad news this weekend, it is a terrible loss for the aromatic community. I do not know the details either, an accident I believe. My heart goes out to his friends and loved ones as well. His Boris videos were some of the best (and amusing) educational info out there.
    He will be missed....

Thanks for the info CB.

My condolences to his friends and family.

Always sad to hear news like this.

Basenotes Institution

Sad news. RIP Alec Lawless.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Ah, the inexplicable fragility of life. I am most sorry to hear of this. I still remember the reviewing contest we had with Essentially Me sometime in 2010 and still have the samples from it. I enjoy quite a few of them so Alec Lawless' departure is certainly a loss to the fragrance community. Thank you for bringing us such wonderful scents, Alec. May you rest in peace.

Hi Chris,
    Just to let you know that I am in the process of writing an obituary right now. We were in touch with people close to him last week, but they didn't want any details released and we would like to respect that. More to follow soon.
    Needless to say, I felt very upset by the news, he was a gorgeous man, so much fun and I'd seen him just a fortnight before, so full of life. Regards, Lila

Oh, this is such TRAGIC news! He was far too young to go. What a unique person he was!
    Sad, SAD news, indeed!

Last edited by Nymphaea; 3rd April 2012 at 10:57 PM.

Blog Entries

Yes - very sad to hear this.

How tragic. Condolences for this family and friends.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Very sad. Many prayers for him and his family
    Evenstar

still can't get my head around the fact that Alec is no longer with us. Lost a friend and mentor, i will not let your memory fade and do you proud. R.I.P Alec

I echo what Chris has said about Alec. He was an inspirational iconoclast and a true independent perfumer. His boris videos were extremely informative and funny. my condolences to all those close to him.

My condolences. R.I.P.

Very sad news. My condolences to his family & close friends. RIP Alec Lawless.

Oh. I love his voice, his presence. A light went out in the stars and left us all a bit more in darkness with his passing.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

I was very sad to hear this - condolences to his friends and family.

He attended one of the Basenotes meets a couple of years ago so I was lucky to meet him and smell his fragrances; all of which were interesting and creative. He invited me down to his lab but I never got the chance to go; what a shame indeed.

Such a loss...

My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Basenotes Plus

Dreadfully sad news. Thoughts are with his nearest and dearest.

Quote Originally Posted by Lila Das Gupta View Post
    Hi Chris,
    Just to let you know that I am in the process of writing an obituary right now. We were in touch with people close to him last week, but they didn't want any details released and we would like to respect that. More to follow soon.
    Needless to say, I felt very upset by the news, he was a gorgeous man, so much fun and I'd seen him just a fortnight before, so full of life. Regards, Lila
    Just to close the circle on this, Lilaís excellent obituary is on Basenotes now in case anyone hasnít found it yet.
    Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

Quote Originally Posted by Lila Das Gupta View Post
    Hi Chris,
    Just to close the circle on this, Lilaís excellent obituary is on Basenotes now in case anyone hasnít found it yet.
    Chris Bartlett