Code of Conduct

Default Summer fragrance decisions.

Hello everyone!

I am a 19-year-old male and have been looking for a new frag to wear this summer. I am currently in the preliminary stages of my search. So far, the following three fragrances have really captured my interest. I'd get them all, but therein lies the dilemma: I may only purchase one.

Here are my three choices with a small excerpt about my attitudes and feelings about each in general:

Thierry Mugler. A*Men. A Taste of Fragrance (Chili): The only one I have sampled before. I do not recall it being too cloying, but I'm not sure if that will change with the increased temperatures during the summer. I did enjoy the smell, yet I am not sure if this is a summer scent; I could always hold off on this purchase until fall or winter, correct?

Creed. Virgin Island Water: Already have 2 fragrances from this house (Aventus, SMW). Seems like something I would be interested in, but I'm also quite leery of making this purchase due to the fact that the use of coconut in any sort of fragrance seems like a novelty feature. I do love diversity, but I'm just worried this one may be a little too "out there".

Tauer Perfumes. L'Air du Desert Marocain: I would think that this would make a fairly nice addition to my little wardrobe. My main concern for this particular perfume is if the scent is really worth the $100 price tag for only 50mL. This is the one I'm the most interested in, yet I am not sure if the cost is justified.

Also, as I probably should have mentioned sooner, I will have to live with my girlfriend's family for three weeks in approximately a month and a half, meaning I will be meeting and living with her parents for the first time. I suppose what I would want is something that would exude the scent of someone who is easygoing, yet confident and firm. If you would be so kind as to humor me, I was wondering what type of "attitude" each of these three fragrances portrayed from your personal perspectives.

Thank you very much.
    Mark
    1. Creed Aventus
    2. Armani Code
    3. Chanel Antaeus

Default Re: Summer fragrance decisions.

Out of those three, I own two and own a sample of one (Tauer's).. I personally can't wait for the weather to full change and start rocking my Virgin Island Water. I love the stuff. While I don't own a full bottle, I picked up a 9 or 10ml bottle off eBay for a great price, by someone from BN who was actually selling it on there actually.

ToF I love on cooler days and is also one of my favorite's and most heavily used in my wardrobe.

I never was a fan of Tauer, but instead fell in love with Jubilation XXV and its take on frankincense in a frag. L'ADDM from Tauer just never did it for me.

Hm. Do you find the VIW's coconut to be an "authentic" coconut smell (like what you would find in the milk of an actual coconut), or just some sort of take on the Bounty bar? That is the only obstacle for me.

I don't have direct/immediate access to this fragrance but from what I've read, the coconut really does seem to be the dividing issue in this fragrance. It may be easier for me to mentally assess the experience if I knew how the coconut smelled.

Thank you for your help!
    1. Creed Aventus
    2. Armani Code
    3. Chanel Antaeus

I'm for the Tauer. I like its incense-spice notes, very masculine, striking but also somewhat classical smelling. Fully worth the price. Besides, the issue seems moot because you have Creeds, which are much more expensive and do not use more expensive ingredients than Tauer.

I personally dislike VIW - it gives the impression of those summer tropical cocktails -perhaps good to drink but not to wear. I'd argue that it might give said impression to your inlaws as well. But again, that's a matter of personal taste.

I like A*men, but it is indeed quite strong, so it's not clear that it would work well if you're staying with other people. So perhaps you can wait here?

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Mmarkk View Post
    Hm. Do you find the VIW's coconut to be an "authentic" coconut smell (like what you would find in the milk of an actual coconut), or just some sort of take on the Bounty bar? That is the only obstacle for me.

I don't have direct/immediate access to this fragrance but from what I've read, the coconut really does seem to be the dividing issue in this fragrance. It may be easier for me to mentally assess the experience if I knew how the coconut smelled.

Thank you for your help!
    I find the coconut to be very authentic and not over-the-top at all. Highly recommend getting yourself a sample before making any commitments though as, to me, it's really a seasonal scent. Figure a sample enough to get a good few days wear out of it to determine if you dig it.

If you'd like, I can get a small sample mailed out to you by the end of this week as I'm in the process of moving and everything is packed up at the moment.

I'd go with VIW IMO.

I like the Tauer very much and think (somewhat) it is worth the (relatively high price tag).

If you like VIW (coconut) then have a Pina Colada to drink. And if you insist on wearing it then do try Batucada by L'Artisan Parfumeur too as I find it to be a more authentic and better blended coconut based drink, uhh I mean perfume.

for swap/sale:

I like Virgin Island Water. Makes me crave Malibu with pineapple juice.

The only one that's a summer fragrance is VIW and yes it is "out there". Smells like malibu rum which isn't something that most people especially men want to smell like everyday. The other 2 are more for fall and winter.

Banned

none of the 3 .... try:

CK One Shock for Him by Calvin Klein - One is initially treated to a mildly fresh accord. Clementine, with its sweet orangey and faint floral facets, lavender with its clean, herbal character, as well as cumcumber, with its medicinal, sea-like aspect, all commingle in a brisk concoction. A cloud of something, perhaps aldehydes or the cryptic, energy drink accent, imparts an effervescence to the invigorating blend. Transitioning to the heart, a field day with herbs is had. Leafy, black basil, with its licorice accent, vivacious and woody black pepper as well as mildly spicy and sweet cardamom encase the opening. A nascent tobacco serves as a backdrop to the herbal jubilation. Segueing to the base, the rich and spicy tabacco has come into full bloom, while an earthy mustiness of patchouli flitters about. A pleasant ambrene wood infuses its laurel-like, sweet and spicy, woody overtures. And, a casheran musk imparts its velvety, somewhat floral bouquet. An enjoyable drydown ensues. This versatile composition is an all-season scent with average projection and average longevity, 6-8 hours. Its favorable price point makes this fragrance even more welcomed.

Stick with your Aventus & SMW for the potential in-laws and treat yourself to L'Air - use with a light touch.