Code of Conduct

Default Spring/Summer suggestion?

Hello all,

My first post with you fine people! I base a lot of my buys on this community's feedback, thought I'd join!

Anywho, I'm looking for a nice and fresh spring/summer cologne. Something light and appropriate for a 24 year old. I don't mind spending the extra money for quality over something that smells cheap. I adore the scent of Creed Imperial but as many have said, its longevity is a bit of an issue. Still considering it nonetheless.

Thoughts? And thank you!

Default Re: Spring/Summer suggestion?

Welcome! Monsieur Balmain by Pierre Balmain

Welcome!
    I prefer these ones:
    YSL - Live Jazz
    Dior - Dune PH
    Dior - Eau Sauvage Extreme (vintage or older)
    Givenchy - Insense Ultramarine
    Issey Miyake - L'Eau D'Issey
    Guy Laroche - Horizon
    Armani - Armani Eau PH (formal and pretentious)

+1 Dior Dune and Monsieur Balmain. Also suggest Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee, Terre d'Hermes, Sisley Eau d'Ikar.

Banned

Gai Mattiolo Uomo by Gai Mattiolo - Upon application, one is treated to an invigorating wave of hesperidic notes, with their citrus highlights of lemon, bergamot, tangerine and orange. A touch of neroli with its spicy, overripe orangey aspect also presents, while star anise imparts its sweetish, smoky licorice and slightly woody facets. This fascinating melange floats on a cloud of perfumed hedione, with its tinge of citrusy jasmine and woods, and wafts to the awaiting middle. Here, in the pleasing heart, the opening mix is subsumed by a somewhat bracing concoction of lively and woody pepper, menthol-ish clary sage and nutty coriander. A sweet rose presents as well. An oceanic fucus provides an undertone of salty, aquatic plant life. Transitioning to the waiting base, the aquatic brew is encased by creamy and delicately balsamic sandalwood as well as honeyed and slightly smoky guaiacwood. A fresh-linen musk, akin to a fabric softener dryer sheet, showers the woods, and leads to a refreshing drydown. This pleasant, masculine composition is ideal for spring and summer, and has average projection and very good longevity. Given its inexpensive price point, it's a must have.

&

Eau d'Italie by Eau d'Italie - One is initially treated to a blast of freshness from the bergamot, with its citron-like bittersweetness. Blackcurrant buds, with their fresh fruitiness and a hint of cat pee, marry with the juicy bergamot to exalt a green, invigorating feel. A orangey and peppery frankincense lightly dances about to compliment the refreshing opening. Transitioning to the awaiting middle, the musty earthiness of clay usurps the mix to interplay with the entrancing florals of magnolia, with its lemony and creamy aspects, and tuberose, with its indolic mintiness, exotic sweetness and flashes of salty rubber and gasoline. Segueing to the robust base, Virginia cedar, with its aromatic, pencil shavings, yellow sweet clover, with its sweetly, crushed hay facet, delightsome honey, slightly peppery and musty patchouli, lichen, with its mushroomy greenness, all commingle creating a wonderful, mediterranean accord. Touches of earthy amber and nuanced musk compliment the majestic melange, and lead to an alluring drydown. This masculine-leaning and somewhat brisk composition has average, radiating projection and average longevity. Cognizant that it could be an all-season fragrance, this polished scent will shine in the spring and summer evenings.

&

L'Homme de Coeur by Divine - Upon application, one is treated to an appealing freshness supplied by cypress, with its slightly lemony, furniture polish element commingling with juniper berries, with their pine-like and marginally terpenic aspects as well as angelica, with its sour, vetiver-like facets. A shy, budding iris with its green, ever so slightly powdery presence remains in the background, and leads this refreshing opening to its heart. Here, in the cooling middle, the regal iris takes center stage, revealing its earthy, rooty and somewhat carroty freshness. Reveling in its splendor, the iris reluctantly transitions into its captivating base. Deer's tongue, with its vanillic and mowed hay aura interplays with a smoky and marginally bracing vetiver. A soft and mellifluous ambergris swirls about. An alluring drydown ensues. This refined, masculine composition is a skin scent with average longevity, 6-8 hours, and is wonderful in spring and summer especially.

&

Welcome! You're the same age as my son. A few that he seems okay with:

Aveda Men Pure-Formance - good stuff, natural ingredients.
    Original Vetiver (Creed)
    Guerlain Homme - worth checking out, there are now 4 in the series.

+ 1 on Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee; i actually replaced TdH with this one for spring.
    Prada Infusion D'Homme : you can get 6.75 Oz for a good price.
    Guerlain Homme
    Dior Homme Sport 2012 version
    Allure Homme Edition Blanche

+ 1 on Eau d'italie Eau d'Italie one of my faves!
    + 1 on Prada Infusion d'Homme wonderful and surprising longevity
    + 1 on Terre d'Hermes excellent year round!
    + 1 on Original Vetiver very classy

adding Mugler Cologne, Prada Amber, Gucci II and dare I say Cool Water

Congrats on your first post
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Original Vetiver
    Imperial Millesime
    Acqua Di Parma Range
    Live Jazz
    Xerjoff 1861

Creed Aventus
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne Sport
    Lalique White
    Love & Luck

Chanel Allure Homme Sport
    Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey
    Versace Man Eau Fraiche

Wow, what great feedback! Thank you--I will definitely try as many as I can! I've been meaning to give Live Jazz a shot. If you have any other suggestions, please keep them coming.

I will be wearing:

1861 by Xerjoff - best over all spring scent I've encountered
    Puro Lino - Good stuff, just not available any more
    Fils de Dieu by Etat Libre d’Orange - really nice stuff, a steal at $80.00 a bottle
    Geranium pour monsieur by Fredrick Malle - nice but not great
    Menthe Moderne by DSH Perfumes - best mint frag period - Heeley sucks compared to this

What I won't be wearing -

Any designer watered down frag
    Any fragrance with the word "sport" in the title
    Any fragrance you can buy at Sephora

The summer/spring slection of frags to choose from is very poor IMO. They usually have poor longevity. They're usually just about citrus. No choices for the most part.

The five I selected above, aren't that great - they're just better than most.
    Last edited by thebeck; 4th April 2012 at 03:36 PM.