Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Uncomplicated, nice and Clean VS Challenging, personality and character

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Uncomplicated, nice and clean

6 11.76%
  • Challenging, personality and character

18 35.29%
  • Both

27 52.94%

Default Uncomplicated, nice and clean VS challenging, personality, and character.

Some people just want to smell nice, clean, and uncomplicated, and use scents that will not disturb anyone.
    Example: Gucci Pour homme II, Acqua di Gio, Bleu du Chanel, Allure Sport etc.

Others like the more complicated stuff with personality and character, and find most of the new releases boring.
    Example Chanel Antaeus, Cartier Santos, Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui, Quorum, Boss no.1 etc. -These are the type of fragrances that probably want pull off many compliments, but you will be separated from the masses.

-Which fragrance type are you? Uncomplicated, nice and clean, or challenging with personality and character.

Default Re: Uncomplicated, nice and clean VS challenging, personality, and character.

Both as I like variety and just could not keep to one or the other for too long.

Default Re: Uncomplicated, nice and clean VS challenging, personality, and character.

I need both. In my opinion, the general purpose of fragrance, other than as an art form, is to add a finishing touch of cleanliness and freshness (and I don't mean greens/aquatics/citrus, I mean that in general fragrance helps one seem more refined). Do I like things that are challenging, yes, but they still need to reach a vague threshold of smelling good. I never want to get so into this hobby that I start tolerating smelling like a pile of shit. Remember Paul Rudd in anchorman? Don't want to be that guy lol

Those two categories aren't accurate.

for swap/sale:

I own none of the n&c ones you've mentioned, but all of the complicated ones. I do wear nice and clean too though, of course. They can be nice when it's warm, women seem to like them, and I enjoy their somewhat 90's simple, prole charm (to put it jokingly).

I wear any type of fragrance I enjoy so both. But, my preference is for challenging scents so I checked that box...just because!
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Both if i like the fragrance.
    Mugler Cologne is nice and clean, but one of my favorites of all time. C

Perhaps both at different times.

Both, since the fragrance world has so much to offer, it would be a waste to overlook any of its fragrance styles

both

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Perhaps both at different times.
    +1.

BoTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Both! Depending on so many different circumstances and moods.

It depends on my mood and situation.

Both was what I chose. It all depends on mood, situation and preferences
    - Mark

ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Both... but there can be nice and clean scents that are complicated too. And complex doesn't need to be challenging...

But I do understand where you're going and I like both, but too uncomplicated can get boring after a while.

There is also the complexity that is within the material, for instance oud can be it's own perfume because it is so complex all on its own. I like frags that use a decent amount of natural ingredients that have some complexity to them on their own, they hold interest better than ones that feature synthetics as main accords. These types of perfumes can get old quick.

Both depending on the occasion/mood I'm in

I voted for uncomplicated, nice and clean because classy perfume with the irisy powdery scent with the soapy vibe are one of my favourites and I feel very comfortable with scents like this.
    But I don't like saying it's the safe way of wearing perfume. They might not cream few meters from me in every direction. I'd rather say this kind of perfume is quietly involving. You might be going down in elevator with someone else, who notices the scent, get's intrigued, invited and wants to come closer to you to smell more.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I wear any type of fragrance I enjoy so both.
    this ^^^^^^^^^

Basenotes Plus

Nice and Clean scent in the office or study at the coffee shop ( I am one of a FEW people wearing perfume in my office building) --- weird.

When I am at home, I like something that has a personality.

For bar or clubbing, it can be both depending on several factors such as mood, scene, DJ, or how I might want to behave that night

I wear fragrance only for my own personal enjoyment, so naturally the challenging ones with personality are more engaging.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

It depends on my mood on that particular point in time.

Both. However, the examples you give are at extremes of "clean" or "challenging", to make your point very clear no doubt. I would not have any of them, as a result. Virtue is in the middle... I prefer my "clean" to have a bit more personality, and my "challenging" to be nicer.

Both and then some

I disagree with the assumption that the so-called "challengers" do not pull off complements. On the contrary, the clean scents rarely pull of complements; they are so safe as not to be perceived. There is a fast difference between unique/out-of-the-box/challenging and OFFENSIVE. Plenty of scents that are neither quiet nor clean garner constant complements and attention.

Don't get me wrong. Clean is great - I love citrus, mint, patchouli, vanilla, and salty aquatics in the summer. But these don't need to be boring, boast modest sillage and projection, or serve as little more than something that makes you smell recently "laundered."

But I also voted for the challenge, as i get bored of smelling "clean." I will leave that status to the toilet with the sanitized paper over the seat. Who wants to smell merely "acceptable" ???
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man