Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Wednesday 4 April 2012

Morning all. Hope you are all fine and dandy.

Doing a side-by-side with Shalimar Parfum Initial and SPI LíEau. Agree with you Alityke that the start is easier with LíEau - the citrus note is much softer, less caustic than the bergamot in the original (almost orange-blossom like). The differences recede with time, although SPI seems to retain some green sharpness over LíEau. LíEau seems less interesting to me, but definitely easier to wear, and better for summer (although that seems a long way away judging by the squall outside my window). Canít decide which one I like best Ė hmm, better have both then .

Have a good day folks!
    Last edited by devilcat; 4th April 2012 at 07:59 AM.

Default Re: SotD Wednesday 4 April 2012

Good Morning,

From 24 deg. c. last week, to snow this morning ! Waiting to catch the train to Manchester (work related stuff ).
    SotD isDior Homme.

Have a lovely day, all.

my latest acquisition, just got it yesterday on ebay from hungary. still chasing jil sander man scent 79 (very low hopes on this one).
    have a good day everyone, lovely sunny day in london but very chilly.

Hello all. Parfums de Nicolai Kiss Me Tender.
    DONNA

Bois Farine.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Basenotes Plus

Good morning and congratulations to Devilcat ! - 1000th post today .

SotD is Amouage Dia.

Good afternoon.

Warm over here already. About 29 degrees.

A painter who was renovating our house insisted that the pond would look nice in blue! My father, though doubtful, succumbed to his persistent views. Hows it look? I prefer when it was all natural.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Hope it's not too late to congratulate Warum on her two year BN anniversary - congrats!
    Congrats as well to Devilcat on 1,000 posts -- Jon, you always find the best pix.

Devilcat, I'm joining you in Shalimar Parfum Initial today. Definitely want to give SPI L'Eau a try at some point.

Wish you all a very good day!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Sur la Plage

Good morning! My SOTD is Tom Ford Santal Blush.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

today calls for gentle and sweet...draining my Iris Ganache sample today. so far so good.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Basenotes Plus

Good morning!

We've been having perfect spring weather here. Everything is starting to
    turn green after the rain we had Monday. This is my favorite time of year.

Sampling YSL Saharienne this morning. A very nice bright citrus so far.

Have a great day!

Blog Entries

Hedonist! Lovely photo and yard. Oh to have flowers bloom like that in April. Sigh.The pond looks like pool - is it for swimming? Anyway, maybe I'll wear some Shalimar PI today. Cold in NY.

Thumbs up Re: SotD Wednesday 4 April 2012

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Warum and Devicat, warmest congratulaions to two of my favourite girls!!

Well, two of my friends are just back from the Exsense Expo in Milan. I couldn't go. I am too busy just now. (Oh the irony of it!).

They had a ball, met some great people, some hideously snobby people, some people who had time for individuals, some who made it obvious that they were not in the least bit interested in "fragrance tourists", only in distributors. The hit of the weekend was MARK BUXTON, who was in attendance in person, and who, they tell me, was charming, warm, funny, informative. They had a good chat and a laugh. Isn't that nice to know?

1828 for me today and loving it.

Oh, and poor Mike, I saw what happened to hubbs. I hope that he is improving.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Congrats, devilcat! You should now have more storage for your private messages.

Hedonist, I think I like it better natural color too. But you can still paint brown over the blue....

My scent of the day is Premier Figuier.

Hello everyone -

I'm in vintage-80s No5 edp for ballet this morning. Y'all have a great day!

hedonist - what a beautiful burst of floral color! But I agree with you - natural is definitely better.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Congratulations on the milestone devilcat, and here's to your next 1000 contributions!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Molinard Homme I this morning
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    Hedonist! Lovely photo and yard. Oh to have flowers bloom like that in April. Sigh.The pond looks like pool - is it for swimming? Anyway, maybe I'll wear some Shalimar PI today. Cold in NY.
    Flowers bloom from late october to mid April here in this region of the world. It'll get really hot really soon and everythig will die off.

It's actually a waterfall into a pool with a brook that spews into another pool. But not a swimming pool. Its only a foot and a half deep. Over the years we've had turtles and duck that lived there. We had a mandarin duck that was the most gorgeous creature I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post

Well, two of my friends are just back from the Exsense Expo in Milan. I couldn't go. I am too busy just now. (Oh the irony of it!).

They had a ball, met some great people, some hideously snobby people, some people who had time for individuals, some who made it obvious that they were not in the least bit interested in "fragrance tourists", only in distributors. The hit of the weekend was MARK BUXTON, who was in attendance in person, and who, they tell me, was charming, warm, funny, informative. They had a good chat and a laugh. Isn't that nice to know?

1828 for me today and loving it.

Oh, and poor Mike, I saw what happened to hubbs. I hope that he is improving.
    Of all the perfumers, Mark is of the few id like to meet. He seems like an eccentric person!

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Congrats, devilcat! You should now have more storage for your private messages.

Hedonist, I think I like it better natural color too. But you can still paint brown over the blue....

My scent of the day is Premier Figuier.
    The waterfall/pond is actually not painted. That brown is what the material is actually made of.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Hello everyone -

I'm in vintage-80s No5 edp for ballet this morning. Y'all have a great day!

hedonist - what a beautiful burst of floral color! But I agree with you - natural is definitely better.
    Thanks

for swap/sale:

Sotd. Bulgari Black

I opted for the L'Eau interesting that even done side by side you found the same as I had Devilcat

SotD today is Alien Sunessence aka Lemon Alien from my little rock which arrived today. I had hoped this would counteract the snow and freezing temperature but whilst I like it a lot it's a summer only scent.

Quote Originally Posted by devilcat View Post
    Doing a side-by-side with Shalimar Parfum Initial and SPI L’Eau. Agree with you Alityke that the start is easier with L’Eau - the citrus note is much softer, less caustic than the bergamot in the original (almost orange-blossom like). The differences recede with time, although SPI seems to retain some green sharpness over L’Eau. L’Eau seems less interesting to me, but definitely easier to wear, and better for summer (although that seems a long way away judging by the squall outside my window). Can’t decide which one I like best – hmm, better have both then .

Have a good day folks!

hedonist, blue?? noooooo!!! it looks like a swimming pool now. brown/natural was much better, but i understand what the guy wanted to achieve, the color of the blue sea, waterfall??... it's just that for me, unfortunately, it reminds me of all the swimming pools in greece (which i like a lot but i wouldn't call them 'natural')..
    changing the subject, i have found a solution and resolved the dilemma of having to choose between chanel's cuir de russie, parfum d'empire cuir ottoman, dior leather oud, patchouli imperial, andy tauer lonestar memories and a couple of others on my wishlist that now i cannot remember: le labo patchouli 24! i shall be getting it tomorrow and i shall call it my easter fragrance (yes, on purpose).

Basenotes Institution

devilcat - I din't even know the new flanker of SPI was out yet. I was at Saks Guerlain counter in NY and I must have missed it. I sort of hate SPI, but I keep trying it hoping it'll click one day.
    Hedonist - I'll be blunt: I don't like the blue
    Foustie - Ray is doing all better now, thank you for asking. He's still getting on my nerves though. Is there an antibiotic for that?

Today it's:

Norfolk Lavender Cologne by Norfolk Lavender (vintage juice)

As I posted before, this one was not love-at-first-sniff. I like many lavenders and even the basic ones usually have something to offer that I can enjoy, but this one has a very disruptive, brutal musk note that comes charging out of the gate, right away. The lavender is basic, nothing special, non-medicinal...it doesn't smell synthetic (thank goodness) but it's not stellar quality either. Today, I really doused myself with it, to see if it wore any better. As a result the room where I sprayed it (my office) was saturated with smell (oops). It's been an hour and while this is nice, it's nothing to get excited over.

Oh well, I have another vintage lavender (Crabtree & Evelyn) I bought from eBay this week, on it's way.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Spirit by Antonio Banderas

Congratulations to Warum and Devilcat!

Hedonist, I vote natural too (sorry!).

HotD (((Hug))) of the Day to Rtamara.

Kiliwia, how do you like Saharienne?

Foustie, it is nice to know that MB is such an engaging person.

Danny, enjoy your Easter fragrance!

Mike, good to hear about Ray! If he is getting on your nerves, that is a good sign, lol!

I have no SotD yet. Iím headed to the gym, but first I must make entries and debits in the checkbook (yikes). Iíve been enjoying Jo Malone [color=ĒredĒ]Red Roses[/color] after the gym lately. After I do my workout I have a quick wash of face and hands (I havenít started showering at the gym, it kind of icks me out still), and then I pat some Bulgarian rosewater on my face and neck. Then I have a spritz of Jo Malone Red Roses. It has a lovely drydown. My real SotD doesnít come until later in the day.

Terre d'Hermes today.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

From the drive way

These are more than 6 foot tall

for swap/sale:

Grats all on milestones of posts and other *yay* moments.

I so like natural better, but the bright blue is quite cheery! And the pictures brightened my morning--gray and cool here today.

All this talk of Shalimar flankers may send me out to the mall today! So, I think I will just do my vintage Shalimar extrait layered with a spritz of edt to warm my soul.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Hedonist, I'll tell you a little story: A brilliant friend of mine took tree bark to a paint store and had the staff scan it to create a paint that would make her house blend in with the woods harmoniously. Whatever looks natural gets my vote. (Some day when I have time, I'll post pix of my pond. First you'll laugh, and then you'll bow to my brilliance -- not that I'm immodest or anything.)

Yesterday DH said my Cologne Sologne smelled like a cleaning product. So, today I'm wearing ... Cologne Sologne b-e-c-a-u-s-e ... he's at the rental house. Ha! If you haven't tried Patricia de Nicolai Cologne Sologne, just think of 4711 cologne improved with the best nectar of neroli.

Devilcat, 1000 fun posts and counting!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Institution

Hi everyone !
    ((RTamara )) - lots of thoughts and hugs to you, girl .
    Mike and Ray - I hope you are both doing well . More hugs for you !
    Foustie- Mark Buxton sounds lovely.
    Larimar- how are you doing with your Paris trip ?
    Devilcat- happy 1000 !!!!!!!!!!

This morning I am wearing my new found love Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger. ( Primrose ! : ) )
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Think I like the pond natural, too hedonist. But it is still very, very pretty and the nice thing about paint is that it's never permanent. I love the cosmos by the driveway. I use those in my gardens a lot as well; so delicate and airy-looking yet such sturdy plants.

Warum Happy Basenotes Anniversary!

Devilcat, congrats! I really enjoy your posts!

Trying again to get along with No.5 EDT today. Why do I insist on revisiting scents that hate me? Why does this go all thin and sour on me when EDP is perfection? I know, I know- the concentrations are different scents but this just baffles me.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Basenotes Plus

[QUOTE=lilybelle;2520378 Kiliwia, how do you like Saharienne?[/QUOTE]

So far it seems like one I'd like. It's kind of like the Dior Escale's, but not quite as sweet.
    A nice citrus, but not very long lasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    So far it seems like one I'd like. It's kind of like the Dior Escale's, but not quite as sweet.
    A nice citrus, but not very long lasting.
    Has the funny slightly rubbery note come through from the Saharienne yet?

I had a bottle from duty free when it was first released. Didn't quite hit the spot for me so won't be getting another bottle

Hedonist, lovely pictures of a lovely garden area. Did your mother design that also?
    Chanel 28 la Pausa today.

Blog Entries

About to go off to a meeting, AA Tiare Mimosa for yet another rainy Spring day.

Thanks for congrats with my BN anniversary - I had no idea how much BN would mean to me when I joined.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    awww, Foustie!! Same here!! So sweet of you!

Congrats to Devilcat and Warum!!!!

Lovely landscape, hedonist!

Hugs to all and sundry. I'm in AL China Pearl today. Take care, all.

Dentist appointment this afternoon, so just wearing SO ELIXIR scented lotion.

summer means fireflys

I'm at home today enjoying a day off. It's cooler and rainy here this morning ... a perfect morning for sleeping in! I had a hard craving for incense today. So, I'm wearing Incense Oud. mmmm craving satisfied!

hedonist, I'm thinking the pond will look better with water in it. Hopefully, it won't be such a contrast to the rock.

Have a great day, everyone!
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 4th April 2012 at 05:09 PM.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Bella Bellissima White Leather.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    Has the funny slightly rubbery note come through from the Saharienne yet?

I had a bottle from duty free when it was first released. Didn't quite hit the spot for me so won't be getting another bottle
    No, I've never noticed a rubbery note, but I'll check for it the next time I wear it.

Blog Entries

Vetyver by Jo Malone.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    Thanks for congrats with my BN anniversary.
    Congrats Warum on your 2 year anniversary! Looks like we joined at the same time, you on the 3rd
    and I joined on the 1st. Didn't realize it was that close to the same time. Cool!!
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 4th April 2012 at 05:18 PM.

Evening all. First off, thank you for all your well wishes and congratulations. I really appreciate it, and all the wonderful people who frequent these boards - virtual hugs and kisses to you all.

I'm wearing Shalimar edp this evening. It seems appropriate since I detested it for years, and would have continued to do so without Basenotes, so thanks all for increasing my understanding and love for frags, and making it so much fun (although my bank may think differently!).

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Mike,

Sorry that Norfolk lavender didn't work for you. The formulation I remember from the 1980s wasn't musky (I don't like musk in my lavender either).

Good Evening,

lilybelle - Your HotD made me laugh !

Hoping our Larimar is having a grand time in Paris. Taking his absence from BN as a good sign.

No SotE as I'm still in Manchester, waiting to get my train home. Been a long day, but the pint in front of me is some consolation.

Take care all.

SotE is SL Chergui from my new bottle. So good, don't get hay in it just a dark, heady, woody floral.

Hello, Basenoters!
    Have been away for awhile, to visit family in NC. Then, when I tried to sign back on this week, got the message that BN was being worked on. So I missed y'all on my birthday, April 2. My sister gave me a bottle of Guerlain's La Petite Robe Noire, and I am enjoying it immensely, although it is not my usual kind of fragrance. Hope all is well here, and I will try to catch up by next week.

Today is a Shalimar day.

Basenotes Plus

Happy (late) Birthday, Carolina girl! Sounds like you had a great birthday,
    enjoy the La Petite Robe Noire, what a nice gift!

Basenotes Plus

Mauboussin (Mauboussin)

Today it's pure ''Eau de cheval'' for me. Spend the whole afternoon with my horse who needed some serious dental work to be done hanks to my previous totally useless horse-dentist!
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

i feel like we are all ganging up on hedonist!!... don't mind us mate.. i bet it will look a hundred times better with water in it..

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    Today it's pure ''Eau de cheval'' for me. Spend the whole afternoon with my horse who needed some serious dental work to be done hanks to my previous totally useless horse-dentist!
    Nice to see you, FrouFrou - you've been missed.

Thank you Jon!
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Carolina girl - a belated Happy Birthday to You!

Hey y'all - I'm in Valentina for the afternoon ...soft and pretty.

Well, hello FrouFrou - long time no smell! How the heck have you been?

Happy Belated Birthday to carolina girl - I hope you had a very special and fragrant day!

Happy Belated Birthday to Carolina Girl!

Welcome back Frou Frou!

SotE is Patou Eau de Joy.

Love to everybody. ♥

Thank you Evangeline and Lillybelle!
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

The quickly-becoming-a-standard Body Shop Mango lotion with Mure et Musc Extreme. If Body Shop put this lotion out in liter bottles I would be even happier.