Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fahrenheit Absolute , thoughts ?

Hey folks,

Im a huge fan of the original Fahrenheit and the Absolute version seems to get many great reviews. In your opinion, is this one worth checking out if I already have the original? I am a fan of dark incense fragrances..

Nick

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Fahrenheit Absolute , thoughts ?

It's a great fragrance, and different from the original - definitely worth checking out.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 4th April 2012 at 11:20 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I own it and to me it smells like the original Fahrenheit, with the gasoline left out and added with myrrh and oud.
    I also smell a certain Dior Homme vibe in it (like Dior homme, without iris, added with myrrh and some oud/incense).

Anyway, it's not easy to describe this fragrance as many things are going on (flowers, herbs, oud and incense).
    Try before you buy and base your opinion on all stages of notes plz (opening, heart and base) as this frag evolves!

(read all reviews I'd advise)
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

I have both and I love them!
    They are not the same at all!
    Only in the opening and for 2-3 seconds the Absolute version smells like the original, because of the violet.
    After that they are completely different.
    Fahrenheit Absolute is smoky, dark. incense and myrrh domination in the drydown and the base of this fragrance.
    It's sweeter against the original but smoky and dark at the same time.

Just yesterday I was thinking that Fahrenheit Absolute needs more love and hype here because it is great stuff.
    On my skin it is incensey myrrh, not as much violet or oudh (its barely detectable here). I dont think it is dark (for example L'Air du Dessert Marocain is bit darker)

Good points:

* Masculine
    * Modern
    * Great signature scent because it is very versatile
    * Not as unique as original but still has some personality
    * Just enough spicy and sweet without being feminine
    * Excellent longevity on par with original

Bad points:

*Not as unique and original as Fahrenheit but its not exactly wrong thing because it is very wearable

I highly recommend it. If I was forced to live with just 1 scent for the rest of my life this is one of candidates (another would be Gucci PH II, Dior Homme Intense or Terre d'Hermes)
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

It's superb.

I don't like it, in fact I don't like any of Dior Fahrenheit's

I love the original and was surprised that the absolute though different was still a nice fragrance in it's own right.

Good scent, worth a try.

Quite different from the original, but it is a top top scent!
    - Mark

ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

I like it a lot.

I like it, different from the original classic, I prefer this one actually
    I agree it's a modern masculine with great longevity and quite a presence
    however could be cloying if you apply too much, it's strong enough
    I got a sexy modern masculine vibe from it
    worth checking for me

women seem to like it, it's like the mighty god Aventus without the pineapple (just kidding lol)
    in fact maybe Aventus's darker brother, but more mysteriouuus..
    (does it smell like Aventus? who knows lol)
    However I would understand if this one got the same status, nice stuff!
    Yes it deserves more love, very nice fragrance. Dune as well..

Sound Scents

I love the original but did not care much for Absolute. The Oud substituted for the petrol did not work well, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Mmm, this definitely sounds like my kind of thing. I have a sample of this lying around and been meaning to try it for some time. Really going to try this as soon as possible now. How prominent is the Myrrh in this one?

Fahrenheit Absolute was one of the few fragrances that elicited a "WOW" from me when I first tried it. Personally, I'll take it over the original, as fine as the original is.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Banned

Fahrenheit Absolute by Christian Dior - Any similarity to its ancestral Farhrenit is left by the wayside in its opening; this is not a bad thing, inasmuch as this challenging fragrance indeed stands on its own extraordinary merits. The opening is a beautiful violet leaf, toned down by the additon of alluring myrrh, giving the impression of a darkened house of worship, after service, with vases of lovely violets scattered here and there. The heart with its smoky frankincense, a light oud and kisses of leather, beckons and subsumes the violet and myrrh into a warm melange. With the violet still twinkling here and there, this mixture segues into the comforting base with the its dark cedar and agarwood, tempered nicely by coumarin with its tonka bean vanilla. Evoking a dark yet mellow character, this somewhat avant-garde composition is well done. Being a cool weather and evening scent, it has very good longevity and projection.

Quote Originally Posted by Daze View Post
    How prominent is the Myrrh in this one?
    On my skin it is major player.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

How prominent is the Myrrh in this one?
    On my skin it is:

50 % Myrrh, 30% Incense, 10% Violet, 10% Oud
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    On my skin it is major player.
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    On my skin it is:

50 % Myrrh, 30% Incense, 10% Violet, 10% Oud
    Thanks dreamer81, sounds gooood...

Thank you for the replies folks, does it remind you of Anything out on the market ?

It's a great flanker, definitely different than most on the market, definitely worth a try, and from your description it sounds like you would enjoy it.

I prefer the original one, but Absolute is still great! If you like incense fragrances, you'll probably love it.

I dont like any of the Fahrenheits. But still, original one and absoute are great creations, just not my style.

Like powerhouse with a contemporary twist -which, in my opinion, might be "the best of both worlds"

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    It's a great flanker, definitely different than most on the market, definitely worth a try, and from your description it sounds like you would enjoy it.
    I'm am a fan if incense fragrances such as Amber Absolute and L'air Desert Marocain. I also like the oud found in M7. Does absolute smell similiar to any of these ??

I'm am a fan if incense fragrances such as Amber Absolute and L'air Desert Marocain. I also like the oud found in M7. Does absolute smell similiar to any of these ??

+1. It`s fabulous!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

They both share the violet leaf note but not the petrol vibe. Fahrenheit Absolute while not in the class of vintage Fahrenheit id still worth a decant imo.

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    I think the incense is a little darker and less sweet than AA or LDDM, maybe closer to a Comme desGgarcon. The oud in M7 is a close estimation in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    It's a great fragrance, and different from the original - definitely worth checking out.
    indeed

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post

I would have to agree and one of my next purchases. If only I could find one at the right price.

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    I would have to agree and one of my next purchases. If only I could find one at the right price.
    I ordered mine from 99 perfume for$ 75.99

I think the incense is a little darker and less sweet than AA or LDDM, maybe closer to a Comme desGgarcon. The oud in M7 is a close estimation in my mind.

Thank you for the info. I am a fan of the original Fahrenheit, so would it be fair to say if I like the original , I will be a fan of absolute ??

I liked the sound of it and got a sample but it wasn't for me. Harsh, chemical and unpleasant. YMMV.

Thank you for the info. I am a fan of the original Fahrenheit, so would it be fair to say if I like the original , I will be a fan of absolute ??
    They dont have much in common but if you like sweet fragrances with incense you wont be disappointed.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

What the heck?! Either my Fahrenheit Absolute sample has gone totally bad or my expectations of this fragrances were WAY off. Judging by the descriptions of this fragrance I guess it's the first. What I get after spraying my sample in NO way matches the reviews I've read. What I get is a very, very cheap smelling, sickingly synthetic, sweet scent that's really similar to Le Male, but a really bad fake version of it. No myrrh, no incense, no smoke, no dark AT ALL.

I got my sample on eBay, I never buy fragrances at eBay but I thought a sample would be pretty safe cause who in their right mind would fake a sample. But my first thought was it's a fake sample. The sprayer and the card look 100% authentic however, identical to my other Fahrenheit samples so I can hardly believe it's fake but the stuff inside is DEFINITELY not OK. But if it has gone bad, what's pretty unlikely since the sample is only 2 years old (I checked the batch code) how on earth could it change from Fahrenheit Absolute to Le Male, doesn't make any freaking sense to me at all. I'm totally flabbergasted by this to be honest...

What the heck?! Either my Fahrenheit Absolute sample has gone totally bad or my expectations of this fragrances were WAY off. Judging by the descriptions of this fragrance I guess it's the first. What I get after spraying my sample in NO way matches the reviews I've read. What I get is a very, very cheap smelling, sickingly synthetic, sweet scent that's really similar to Le Male, but a really bad fake version of it. No myrrh, no incense, no smoke, no dark AT ALL.

I got my sample on eBay, I never buy fragrances at eBay but I thought a sample would be pretty safe cause who in their right mind would fake a sample. But my first thought was it's a fake sample. The sprayer and the card look 100% authentic however, identical to my other Fahrenheit samples so I can hardly believe it's fake but the stuff inside is DEFINITELY not OK. But if it has gone bad, what's pretty unlikely since the sample is only 2 years old (I checked the batch code) how on earth could it change from Fahrenheit Absolute to Le Male, doesn't make any freaking sense to me at all. I'm totally flabbergasted by this to be honest...
    This is strange. I have decants of both and just compared them side by side straight from "bottle" and they have nothing common just sweetness (Le Male being more sweet and synthetic smelling straight from top)
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

A great fragrance, I prefer it over the original (though I have only tried the 2011 version of the original)

Fahrenheit was my signature scent way back in the day (mid-90s, so definitely the vintage version). I still love that juice. Honestly, as others have said, Absolute bears little resemblance to its daddy; some violet in the opening is about the only common note.

Maybe I had different notions of what myrrh smells like, but I don't get a dark and resinous feel from Fahrenheit Absolute. Instead it wears as warm and fuzzy, like a soft cuddly blanket. There's an element that reminds me of laundry detergent or fabric softener (which is probably because of some common note in a product I used at one point -- dammit). That surprised me a little. The first few times I wore it I agreed with others that the oud was barely detectable, but on my last wearing it kept leaping out at times, showing its distinct medicinal sheen. So the oud is certainly there.

I like the fragrance overall, and I'm glad I have it. It's impressive for a flanker, and reassuring as a recent designer release (hooray for not another boring Sport or Fresh or Aqua clone). But at the same time, if you're looking for a dark challenging take on oud (in the vein of M7 or Dior Leather Oud), or a rich incense vibe (CdG Avignon, or the first half of Gucci Pour Homme), you may not find it here. This is its own cuddly animal.

Very interesting how so many don't pick up on much resemblance between original Fahrenheit and this flanker...and based on on one of the more high-profile YouTube reviewers who described it as some kind of incense bomb/high-mass number, I didn't even intend to test it...to my nose, it shares at least 60% of the same pyramid as the original and I love them both!!

Hey folks,

Im a huge fan of the original Fahrenheit and the Absolute version seems to get many great reviews. In your opinion, is this one worth checking out if I already have the original? I am a fan of dark incense fragrances..

Nick
    YES INDEED SIR !!!

I love both, but sometimes actually prefer to wear the FahrenheitAbsolute over the original Fahrenheit, it's that good !
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

I didn't like Fahrenheit, Absolute is pretty decent but I found it to come off a little too mature smelling for my taste.

It's nice, but not as good as the original. The orginal is a darker fragrance to me, FA has a sweet powderiness to it and I don't get any incense whatsoever. The petrol note in the original makes the composition darker to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Good scent, worth a try.
    This

Can anyone compare this to Memoir Man?

Dependent

I'm always surprised how few BNers note the blaring cumin accord in FA. I find it a raunchy and disagreeable combination with the violet leaf and oud. The sweet balsamic vanilla just makes it that much less appealing to me compared with the groundbreaking original.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Can anyone compare this to Memoir Man?
    Yes. I used to own both. Memoir is more elegant, more complex. The initial notes are impressive, very green (absinthe + wormwood). The initial notes of Fahrenheit Absolute, rather funky, really woodsy (oud). I didn't keep Fahrenheit Absolute, I kept Memoir.

The basenotes of Fahrenheit Absolute (dry down) is actually superior to Memoir. But the harsh opening really made me not a fan of Absolute. Memoir's opening wins. It's (Memoir) more lively to my neophyte nose.

I may go too far with this comment but IMO Fahrenheit Absolute can be considered as a Diors more masculine and casual version of DHI
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Yes. I used to own both. Memoir is more elegant, more complex. The initial notes are impressive, very green (absinthe + wormwood). The initial notes of Fahrenheit Absolute, rather funky, really woodsy (oud). I didn't keep Fahrenheit Absolute, I kept Memoir.

The basenotes of Fahrenheit Absolute (dry down) is actually superior to Memoir. But the harsh opening really made me not a fan of Absolute. Memoir's opening wins. It's (Memoir) more lively to my neophyte nose.
    Thanks Gerbick. I can deal with some pretty funky openings - often things described as opening funky don't strike me as odd at all (case in point: M/Mink by Byredo) - so I think I'll definitely have to check out Fahrenheit Absolute. Oud + violet + myrrh sounds like a delectable combo.

Great scent and actually prefer it over its older brother. I have also noticed that longevity is better compared to the original (reformulated) version. Farenheit Absolute will last over 8 hours on my skin while the reformulated Farenheit will give me at most 4-5 hours.
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

I got me another sample just to be sure nothing was wrong with my other sample (see my earlier post). The new sample is indeed slightly different than the other one. It's less sweet, powdery and cheap smelling and doesn't really remind me of Le Male like the other one did, but it's still not what I had hoped for. I guess my expectations for this fragrance were just way off, there's still hardly any trace of the dark, smokey, incense and myrrh based fragrance most are talking about. I guess it just doesn't really work on my skin.

Only very late in the drydown I get some smokey/ashy note which pretty strongly reminded me of another fragrance but I couldn't figure out which one. Now I know, the drydown actually reminds me of Creed Aventus. At least the sample of Aventus that I tried, which was really ashy without much pineapple. Anyone else get that similarity?

I got me another sample just to be sure nothing was wrong with my other sample (see my earlier post). The new sample is indeed slightly different than the other one. It's less sweet, powdery and cheap smelling and doesn't really remind me of Le Male like the other one did, but it's still not what I had hoped for. I guess my expectations for this fragrance were just way off, there's still hardly any trace of the dark, smokey, incense and myrrh based fragrance most are talking about. I guess it just doesn't really work on my skin.

Only very late in the drydown I get some smokey/ashy note which pretty strongly reminded me of another fragrance but I couldn't figure out which one. Now I know, the drydown actually reminds me of Creed Aventus. At least the sample of Aventus that I tried, which was really ashy without much pineapple. Anyone else get that similarity?
    I would not be suprised if Fahrenheit Absolute was already few times reformulated. I remember from my first sampling of FA that it was very dark fragrance that I could hardly imagine wearing. Now maybe I am just accustomized to smelling dark fragrances or it was really reformulated but my current decant is perfectly wearable and versatile spicy sweet scent. Definitely not dark as some montale ouds but still nothing like Le Male.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

What I get is a very, very cheap smelling, sickingly synthetic, sweet scent
    Sounds similar to what my gf thought about it. The vanilla that comes through after a while almost made me agree. I remember liking it more though. Will have to give it another wear.

Time to bring up this thread. There is a rumor that Fahrenheit Absolute is about to be discontinued, so I purchased a bottle just in case based on that notion alone. As I was reading through this thread, most coments seem to be quite favorable except for the bothersome comments regarding the cumin note which resembles the sweat odor. Can anyone elaborate on that? Thanks.

I thought about blind buying this one many times. But I really dislike the original Fahrenheit. Any chance I'll like this?

Yes there is a cumin note and on some skins it does create a sweat smell. I remember testing this back in 2009, and not liking it but my nose has changed a lot since then so I dont know. I should try this one again.

As you can see from my old posts I was big fan of Fahrenheit Absolute (i had 10ml decant and bought 50ml bottle later). Now with rumours about its discontinuation I revisited it just to make sure whether or not I need back up bottle but strange thing happened. I sprayed it on myself 3 hours before goign to bed and everything was ok but later on, I could not fall asleep. Then I realized its scent thats bothering me big time. I tried to wash it away but it was very hard and I could still smell traces of it. It was such huge turn off for me that I dont care about scent anymore... I really hate when some scent do this for me so its huge no no.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Am I the only one who doesn't like this?
    I found this to be a bit too strong (in a dark manner) and couldn't imagine myself wearing it. I don't know what it was in it that made me dislike it, though I really love the original for its warmth and for what it is.

I sprayed this on a tester strip in a department store last year and on first sniff didn't think it was a lot different to the original. However, when I smelt the strip when I got home I fell in love with it. Unlike others I do smell a similarity with the original throughout the fragrance, but with the added notes that have been mentioned. With rumours of a discontinuation I bought a backup 100ml bottle yesterday from trusted UK site allbeauty (formally cheapsmells).

This is interesting that some folks pick up the "body odor" note here. I also was told that Black Afgano kinda smells like sweat/BO. This leads me to a theory that there must be something in the oud and incense combo that results in this percieved quality. I also happen to like black afgano a lot and hoping this dior would be something with a similar vibe.