Code of Conduct

Default Help me find a wedding fragrance!!

Please could someone help me out. I'm getting married in two months, and both my other half and I decided to have new scents for the wedding to forever remind us of that day. Easy for the other half who loved Floris' Lily of the Valley, but not so easy for me since I can be quite picky!

I'm looking for something a little out of the ordinary that I'm not going to find in my local drug store, hence why I have been looking at Trumper, Florus, Creed, Guerlain etc.

I tend to go for more citrus scents- my two favourites being Floris No.89 and Acqua di Parma Colonia, and was hoping you might have some suggestions bearing in mind my two faves.

Any help would be much appreciated

Default Re: Help me find a wedding fragrance!!

Congratulations! Perhaps Creed Baie de Genievre or D'Orsay Etiquette Bleue

Thanks for the congrats I've tried Baie de Genievre and liked it, but found it a little warm for my tastes. I've yet to try Etiquette Bleue, so will definitely have to give that a go

Lumiere Noire Pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian and
    Lumiere Noire Pour Femme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Creed Millesime Imperial

Quote Originally Posted by We Came As Romans View Post
    Creed Millesime Imperial
    +1 This gorgeous intoxicating fragrance.

I agree with Creed Millesime Imperiale however IMO if you really like the "Colonia" type citrus then you could not go wrong with Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo.

I wore Chanel Cuir de Russie on my wedding day.
    For good, anatomic reasons, scent fosters memory more readily than any other sense.

Can i be a little nosy and inquire about the nature of the wedding? If it's a summery, outdoor affair, then MI would be great for a wedding. But, for instance, if it's a very cultural/religious affair and you're going to be in an old church, maybe an Amouage? Massive congratulations!!!

Quote Originally Posted by icanzapyou View Post
    Can i be a little nosy and inquire about the nature of the wedding? If it's a summery, outdoor affair, then MI would be great for a wedding. But, for instance, if it's a very cultural/religious affair and you're going to be in an old church, maybe an Amouage? Massive congratulations!!!
    It's going to be a country, summer wedding. Little village church with an outdoor reception afterwards. Based on the description, Amouage's Reflection Man sounds interesting...

The description of Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo sounds really interesting- I'll have to get a sample of that, thanks!

Congratulations!

A problem with citrus is that it doesn't last long - and you probably want something to get you through the ceremony and the festivities. For weddings, I usually recommend Amouage Gold, which is a big floral (very $$$ too, but in the same price range as the Creeds). But perhaps it's too big relative to your favorites.

Do you live in the UK? (somehow the list of brands you cite makes me think so). If so, you can also look into London based brand Ormonde Jayne, which has a few nice citrusy, bright florals. Examples would be Osmanthus and Frangipani, both with clear citrusy profiles, or even Tiare (more classical in feel, sort of like Chanel Cristalle, but more citrusy and more relaxed).

cacio

Habit Rouge is a nice citrus and leather scent in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Congratulations!

A problem with citrus is that it doesn't last long - and you probably want something to get you through the ceremony and the festivities. For weddings, I usually recommend Amouage Gold, which is a big floral (very $$$ too, but in the same price range as the Creeds). But perhaps it's too big relative to your favorites.

Do you live in the UK? (somehow the list of brands you cite makes me think so). If so, you can also look into London based brand Ormonde Jayne, which has a few nice citrusy, bright florals. Examples would be Osmanthus and Frangipani, both with clear citrusy profiles, or even Tiare (more classical in feel, sort of like Chanel Cristalle, but more citrusy and more relaxed).

cacio
    I agree that citrus isn't very lingering, although the Acqua di Parma seems to stay on forever! I have to say, I hadn't intended on spending quite the amount it would cost to go into Amouage- I don't think the missus to be would ever accept that, even if it is for the wedding day! You're right, I am in the UK, so will have to give Ormonde Jayne a visit the next time I'm in London. Thank you for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes View Post
    Habit Rouge is a nice citrus and leather scent in my opinion.
    I've tried Habit Rouge and it's a little older generation for me (I'm 23), thanks though

Oh, you know what, I had completely misunderstood - I thought you were the missus and highly appreciated the fact that the mr seemed to be going for a lily of the valley! But no ...

So be aware that the OJ's I suggested are marketed to women (No 89 is floral too, but marketed to men). This doesn't matter, I love and wear Tiare, which doesn't smell feminine to me and is citrusy. But I don't want the missus to have last minute doubts if you show up smelling like the bouquet she's carrying. To be honest, I don't like OJ's offering marketed to men that much; Iskandar is a citrusy cologne, but I prefer the Acqua di Parma.

So if you don't feel like going in that direction, I was thinking may be you could remain in the more traditional Victorian aesthetic and check Penhaligon's Violetta. Violet was of course a favorite of men of late Victorian and Edwardian times. Violetta and lily of the valley also strike me as a good combo. In the fresh citrus style, many people love Penhaligon Opus 1870, though I'm not a fan.

cacio

From the descriptions and what you like, how about Ginestre by Santa Maria Novella. I do like AdP Colonia a lot though, it's a tough one to beat

Quote Originally Posted by We Came As Romans View Post
    Creed Millesime Imperial
    Can't think of a better Summer wedding scent.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Oh, you know what, I had completely misunderstood - I thought you were the missus and highly appreciated the fact that the mr seemed to be going for a lily of the valley! But no ...

So be aware that the OJ's I suggested are marketed to women (No 89 is floral too, but marketed to men). This doesn't matter, I love and wear Tiare, which doesn't smell feminine to me and is citrusy. But I don't want the missus to have last minute doubts if you show up smelling like the bouquet she's carrying. To be honest, I don't like OJ's offering marketed to men that much; Iskandar is a citrusy cologne, but I prefer the Acqua di Parma.

So if you don't feel like going in that direction, I was thinking may be you could remain in the more traditional Victorian aesthetic and check Penhaligon's Violetta. Violet was of course a favorite of men of late Victorian and Edwardian times. Violetta and lily of the valley also strike me as a good combo. In the fresh citrus style, many people love Penhaligon Opus 1870, though I'm not a fan.

cacio
    Thanks for that, I shall have a look at Penhaligon. I've got their Sartorial, but haven't tried any of the others, I'll definitely give Opus 1970 a go from the description. I'm sorry to disappoint, but I probably wouldn't go for a lily of the valley scent, though I'm not opposed to floral scents, hence No.89. Do you know Miller Harris' Tangerine Vert? That's not a bad scent but, as you say, too feminine for the likes of my betrothed!

Quote Originally Posted by RingER View Post
    From the descriptions and what you like, how about Ginestre by Santa Maria Novella. I do like AdP Colonia a lot though, it's a tough one to beat
    I haven't smelled many Santa Maria Novella's and have no idea where to buy them from apart from Chelsea :S I did consider getting Melograno for her wedding scent before she set her heart on Floris Lily of the Valley.

Banned

try:

Geir by Geir Ness - Initially, one is treated to an exhilarating citrus-floral accord. Hesperidic notes impart their citrus highlights of lemon, bergamot, tangerine and orange. A perfumy hedione bestows its fresh jasmine and slight powdery aspects. And, magical aldehydes summon forth a burst of laundered-linen freshness and floral effervescence. A faint, sweet smell of salt water taffy flitters about. Transitioning to the waiting heart, the opening blend is enmeshed with methyl salicylate, furnishing its attendant menthol and wintergreen facets, as well as amyl salicylate, supplying its sweetly floral and herbaceously green aura, thereby creating a cool, conifer illusion. A whisper of lively pepper flutters here and there, while a slight, burnt sugar presents. An errant, feeble smell of fireworks or something like burnt gunpowder also surfaces. Segueing to the awaiting base, a smooth, woody accord as well as a somewhat bitter, mossy accord usurp and enhance the outdoorsy mixture, and, coupled with a wave of sweetish vanilla, lead to an alluring drydown. Albeit an ordinary composition, it is the epitome of mountain freshness, and has good projection and very good longevity.

&

Cuir by Lancome - Upon application, one is treated to an ephemeral, citrus accord of the bitter orange of bergamot as well as the sweetness of mandarin. Coupling with a smoky leather, reminiscent of nubuck, an alluring suede drifts to the spicy floral of the middle. Here, in the enthralling heart, whispers of seductively sweetish jasmine, sweetly fishy hawthorn, creamy and sweet ylang ylang, cloak the comforting, soft leather with their lovely, floral melange. Mystical saffron bathes the blend in its somewhat medicinal and creamy character, and leads the wondrous concoction to the waiting base. An enabling orris, a balsamic and vanillic styrax, a warmly herbaceous and earthy patchouli, and woody birch, all commingle, enhancing the leather aura. An awesome drydown ensures. This elegant composition has restrained projection and very good longevity. Cognizant of its inexpensive price point and its fine leather quality, this handsome fragrance should be a welcomed addition to one's wardrobe.

&

Olibanum by Profumum - Upon application, one is treated to a medicinally resinous myrrh, at once cooling and green, but sharply sour, with a slightly moist, mushroom-like mustiness. And, a somewhat dark, orange blossom infuses its sweet fruity, earthy and indolic aspects. This dank, green melange meanders to the middle, where a pure olibanum, reminiscent of an infusing frankincense during the celebration of a High Mass, envelops the bitter greenness with its alluring splendor. A faint, rustic tabacco undercurrent, like a freshly-opened pack of cigarettes, drifts in and out. Transitioning to the comforting base, a smooth and creamy sandalwood lifts the frankincense, while a slightly terpene, conifer nuance presents. A sublime drydown ensues. An exalted scent to be sure, this masculine composition is an all-season fragrance, with average projection and good longevity.

Basenotes Plus

First off, CONGRATULATIONS on your upcoming wedding!

+1 on the Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo recommendation. It is indeed a superb herbal citrus.
    Also try Incense Pure by Sonoma Scent Studio - a very uplifting, citrusy incense in extrait concentration.

Or consider a BN favorite, the one I wore at my very own wedding last year: MDCI Invasion Barbare .

Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche

The white on the bottle just reminds me of a tux. The lemony creamy vibe for a June wedding would be very good.

Banned

Congrats to the couple. Etro Via Verri.