Code of Conduct

Default Ombré de Hyacinth....what the hell Tom Ford?

Just took a whiff of this new fragrance that the Tom Ford rep decanted for me last weekend and first impression is that of revulsion. To me it smells like mildew or something spoiled. That being said I will still wear it at least one time. My 8 year old daughter and wife like it. Of the four new private blend fragrances, the one that made the best first impression for me was probably jonquille de unit.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ombré de Hyacinth....what the hell Tom Ford?

Quote Originally Posted by pharmgator01 View Post
    Just took a whiff of this new fragrance that the Tom Ford rep decanted for me last weekend and first impression is that of revulsion. To me it smells like mildew or something spoiled. That being said I will still wear it at least one time. My 8 year old daughter and wife like it. Of the four new private blend fragrances, the one that made the best first impression for me was probably jonquille de unit.
    LOL!

Although you've certainly piqued my interest in this scent. It does sound *interesting*!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I smelled it at Neiman Marcus. It starts off a pretty true hyacinth but then the jasmine kicks in and spoils it for me (since I have a very uneasy relationship with jasmine.) Worth trying.

I am very disappointed. After hearing of some of the Private Blend items being discontinued, i was really hoping these new ones would make me forget those... Guess not.

I will still try them, but I'm not too optimistic...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

I really want to try this. I've been searching for a realistic Hyacinth frag forever.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Sur la Plage

I think Ombré de Hyacinth is very nice. I enjoy the strong green opening as well as the inclusion of jasmine.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It does sound like a weird one lol, I do not think I have smelled Hyacinth in a frag before.

To me, it smells a little old-school high-end cologne. Not bad, but when you look at the price you wonder.

I am still underwhelmed in all honesty by all the new Jardin Noir line, perhaps Cafe Rose can garner some respect but all in all, meh.

Call me weird but I've been quite impressed with these four, They are all quite bold and have something a little out of the blue about them. They will be polarising though. If you ignore the fact Cafe Rose doesn't really have any Coffee conotation then its quite a pretty scent at face value.

My favourite is probably Jonquille de Nuit as its quite similiar in execution to Tubereuse Criminelle.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    My favourite is probably Jonquille de Nuit as its quite similiar in execution to Tubereuse Criminelle.
    From my initial testing, this is my favorite as well.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I think Ombré de Hyacinth is very nice. I enjoy the strong green opening as well as the inclusion of jasmine.
    How long did you have the fragrance on before the jasmine became discernable? I have not yet worn it, but the Tom Ford guy at Tampa NM, who I trust greatly, tells me that it dries down very nicely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    Upon first smelling Jonquille de Nuit I was immediately reminded of Fire Island (I have never smelled Tubereuse Criminelle) and I thought for sure this thing was loaded with tuberose, but Tuberose is not listed as a note at Fragrantica and I am certain tuberose wasn't listed on the Tom Ford advertising brochure at NM.

Basenotes Institution

Honestly I do not think I know what hyacinth smells like
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Honestly I do not think I know what hyacinth smells like
    Mike - next Christmas buy one of those sprouting bulbs that bloom indoors over a jar of water. They're pretty easy to find ( I can even send you one if they don't sell them there ).

Sadly they won't last as Miami is just too hot for them, but it will give you a chance to "get" the scent. They're the boldest spring flower I think, in scent; about as strong as tuberoses.

- - - Updated - - -

As an aside, this is driving me nuts waiting for these to be released!

I agree with Suga, hyacinth is rather strong and sharp. Scents where the note is prominent are my favorite Paco Rabanne Metal and the first 15 seconds of Lutens Bas de Soie (before the swamp takes over).

cacio

Yes, as much as I enjoy Bas de Soie, it's not purely hyacinth. In fact it and other hyacinth renditions I've smelled tend to be a little "ghostly"; like water someone's soaked hyacinths in water rather than the real thing.

Basenotes Institution

I just googled them so I could see what they look like and oh yes...I definitely have seen these growing before, I most probably have smelled them I just didn't know what I was smelling.

Do they smell anything like magnolia?

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    It does sound like a weird one lol, I do not think I have smelled Hyacinth in a frag before.
    I released my hyacinth fragrance Persian Prince this Spring - there don't seem to be many about, which was one reason I wanted to design one. Mine is based (loosely) on the headspace analysis of the blue hyacinth specifically - I blogged about that too if you are interested in such things.

Hyacinth_Blue small.png
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pharmgator01 View Post
    How long did you have the fragrance on before the jasmine became discernable? I have not yet worn it, but the Tom Ford guy at Tampa NM, who I trust greatly, tells me that it dries down very nicely.
    I'll answer this: it took about 10 minutes, for me, on skin. I would have liked the top notes to linger longer.

I just googled them so I could see what they look like and oh yes...I definitely have seen these growing before, I most probably have smelled them I just didn't know what I was smelling.

I don't find hyacinth to be like magnolia, no. Mike, have you ever seen this potpourri in shops (The Smell of Spring)? It is very much like hyacinth:
    http://www.amazon.com/Aromatique-Spr.../dp/B006T295LI

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    I released my hyacinth fragrance Persian Prince this Spring - there don't seem to be many about, which was one reason I wanted to design one. Mine is based (loosely) on the headspace analysis of the blue hyacinth specifically - I blogged about that too if you are interested in such things.

Hyacinth_Blue small.png
    Chris I have been meaning to explore your line of fragrances as you seem to have a wonderful range to choose from. I'm especially interested in Equisetum as I love Fougere scents with tobacco and oakmoss. And the Violet and Hyacinth soliflores look interesting to if only to know what Hyacinth smells like. When I get around to it I will enjoy sampling your line of fragrances.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    ...I don't find hyacinth to be like magnolia, no. Mike, have you ever seen this potpourri in shops (The Smell of Spring)? It is very much like hyacinth:
    http://www.amazon.com/Aromatique-Spr.../dp/B006T295LI
    No I haven't 30Roses, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

-- Jack Kerouac

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Not to get off on a tangent, but I was googling and discovered that The Smell of Spring comes in many other home scenting products: http://www.jensendesigns.com/AromatiqueHome.htm#spring

I don't tend to buy home fragrances but I may make an exception for this-- it's lovely if you like hyacinth.

Oh my god, I love Hyacinth. It's definitely my favorite real flower.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

jasmine?.. But heard it's musky..:/
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Chris I have been meaning to explore your line of fragrances as you seem to have a wonderful range to choose from. I'm especially interested in Equisetum as I love Fougere scents with tobacco and oakmoss. And the Violet and Hyacinth soliflores look interesting to if only to know what Hyacinth smells like. When I get around to it I will enjoy sampling your line of fragrances.
    Thanks for that - I hope you'll enjoy them.

If you are in Shropshire anytime let me know - I do a few local shows / markets but even if not, with advance notice I don't mind a visit to the perfumery where you can try out testers of anything that takes your fancy.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Nothing like magnolia to my nose. Take the spice from Stargazer lillies and combine it with the coolness of lilacs ( but not the powder ) and you're closer. Magnolia is much more subtle. A single hyacinth indoors can really take over!

Quote Originally Posted by Lobster2010 View Post
    To me, it smells a little old-school high-end cologne. Not bad, but when you look at the price you wonder.

I am still underwhelmed in all honesty by all the new Jardin Noir line, perhaps Cafe Rose can garner some respect but all in all, meh.
    Not what you would expect after just about everything else in TF line, it seems that they are delving heavy into the Jean Claude Ellena school of perfumery. They are all nice but not ground-breaking, even TF Noir is very blah, from the print ads and the bottle you would expect a lot more depth / darkness from it...

I gave this a wearing today: definitely bold, but a memorably awful drydown. The top is very nice; one of those greyish, washed-cold hyacinth notes like Bas de Soie ( very similar in fact ), but then about ten minutes in, a weird oily-tangy-green-dirty accord smelling a lot like SMN's Genistra followed by a rather rough men's-frag chemical note found in a million shaving creams. And then I realize: oh no, it's Amazingreen all over again. Noxious!

I can only wish I got 30 Roses' jasmine base impression.

It's like you're sniffing some hyacinths in a vase and Audrey Two comes up from behind and eats you...

I can't wait to try this now.

- - - Updated - - -

Tried this and the Lys Fume yesterday in Selfridges. The Hyacinth develops in the most dramatic way. Starts out green and very hyacinth, then jasmine comes through. Then on me it turned a bit deodorant-powdery for about an hour, which I didn't like, and then into the evening it reminded me of a green and woody chypre. This morning I can still smell it quite prominently on the back of my hand, and it smells like a peppery, woody incense.

The Lys Fume stayed much the same the whole way through, and I couldn't really find much "fume" in it. Though now, having said that, it's now a gorgeous lily and when I press my nose to my arm, I do get something slightly smoky.

Not sure either of these are worthy of purchase for me, but they are interesting. I will definitely try the other two.

I obtained a couple of generous samples of the Ombre de Hyacinth and made it the scent of my weekend.

For about 15 minutes after application, this is the most startlingly realistic hyacinth scent I've ever encountered. You can even smell the dirt clinging to the bulb end. It had that hypnotic, reality-bending allure that a really fragrant bunch of hyacinth does.

After that, it skids downhill so fast it's almost a grand slalom event. I like the jasmine coming on board, but it gets swamped and loses its voice quickly. It gets kind of murky, too stuffed with ingredients, and then simmers into a more general "floral-musk". If only that hyper-real top note lasted and developed into a more interesting heart. Then my paw prints would be on a bottle all my own already, with no regrets for the $$$.

I finally smelled this (and the others). The top is great, a realistic green hyacinth. If only it stayed longer. But it looses itself and disappears from my skin. Good start, but not woth $205/50 ml. Metal or Insense' are on another planet, and they can be had for much less. I'll try it again on cloth/paper, to see if the good part stays a long time there.

Yet, it was to my nose the best in the line. Jonquil is literally eaten by my skin. Good start too, but then nothing-again, I will want to try on paper/cloth. Lys fume is an elegant bubblegum, with no smoke, nor lily. Cafe rose nothing special.

cacio

Bump

Tried this today and the following is my take on the scent:

On first stiff this smelled very green and rooty like smelling the roots of a plant that has been plucked from the earth. It's fresh and gets quite floral and the mixture of the earthy greeness and floral aspects makes this smell like a green house full of flowery and green aromas.

I have to say this smells interesting and you can tell a lot of thought went into creating this as it's complex and the different notes seem to play off each other in a garden like harmony.

To sum up a really nice mix of fresh green rooty plant like smelling notes coupled with flowery florals that makes you think of gardens & green houses full of plants and flowers. Nicely done.