Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Crystal Gold vs Gold Cologne

What's the difference between these two scents and which do you like better & why....if you like either at all.
    Trying to decide which to get.....I've smelled the crystal gold but not the Cologne.

Thanks! I'll pop in later hoping to get a push in either direction

Default Re: Amouage Crystal Gold vs Gold Cologne

When you say crystal gold do you mean the mens or the womens? I'm going to reply assuming you mean the mens, since you posted it on the mens forum, but please correct me if I'm wrong in that assumption. Oh and, by the way, upon reading you're post I sprayed some Gold Crystal for men on my arm to better write this reply.

I really love the men's gold crystal. It is a fragrance of supreme luxury, elegance, and power. To be honest, Amouage Gold Crystal is what brought me into a whole new level of fragrance appreciation. I first fell in love with the women's Gold, and then, in rapid order, the men's. After joining basenotes I thought that perhaps it was just my first foray into true quality and niche fragrances, and that after sampling other high quality fragrances I would find it less attractive. But no. Amouage Gold is still, and will probably always be, my holy grail.

Amouage Gold Crystal for men is very similar to the women's, only darker, to my nose by an extra dose of rich, dark, and smooth patchouli in the base. You still get that deliciously decadent and complex jasmine and orris, that musky and sensual civet, and that precious and almost awe-inspiring silver frankinsense. It doesn't get any more complex. It doesn't get any more opulent. It doesn't get any more sensual.

Some people may find it too feminine for men, and I agree it can be easily worn by a woman, but...well let's just say that smell is often linked to taste, and when I smell Amouage Gold Crystal for men I conjure up an image of a tall, handsome man with an exquisitely tailored suit and a predatory gleam in his eye...which is exactly what I have a taste for.

~Silk and Steel

P.S. By the way, I haven't tried the Gold Cologne...I think it's been discontinued? The amouage.com website no longer lists it, although some online retailers sell it. But you really can't go wrong with Amouage Gold Crystal, men's or women's.

Hi Silk,
    Yes, I did mean the men's Gold cologne........they don't make a woman's Gold cologne. I have the woman's gold and I have tried the men's gold but was curious about the men's Gold cologne and how much different it was from the men's Cristal & gold. The gold is gorgeous but my favorite amouage is the Dia!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question! I really appreciate it.

Hmmm.. this is confusing. I thought, for men, there were two - Gold and Gold Cologne. What is crystal gold? The Gold for men is a patchouli, oakmoss monster that I can't stand. Love Dia though..
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

It goes like this:

First, in 1983 there was Amouage Gold for men and women. Asprey's of Bond Street created the sterling silver bottles gilded in 24 carat gold.

Then, in 1988, they created the Gold Crystal line, which is the exact same juice in french lead crystal bottles with 24 carat gold plated decorations.

The Gold cologne is completely different. In fact, it very much resembles the Silver cologne, in bottle and in spirit, if not exactly in notes. I believe that the Gold cologne is no longer in production. Amouage.com, the official Amouage website, does not list it. Parfumsraffy.com lists it, along with notes and a description if you're interested, but says it's out of stock. I'm sure a couple of places must still sell it.

Hope this helps.
    ~Silk

Yes, it helps thanks Silk.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

Hi Silk, do you know anything about the Amouage Crystral & Gold for women EDT? Versus Amouage Gold? Both are in the old gold plated bottle, I was just wondering about the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkandSteel View Post
    It goes like this:

First, in 1983 there was Amouage Gold for men and women. Asprey's of Bond Street created the sterling silver bottles gilded in 24 carat gold.

Then, in 1988, they created the Gold Crystal line, which is the exact same juice in french lead crystal bottles with 24 carat gold plated decorations.

The Gold cologne is completely different. In fact, it very much resembles the Silver cologne, in bottle and in spirit, if not exactly in notes. I believe that the Gold cologne is no longer in production. Amouage.com, the official Amouage website, does not list it. Parfumsraffy.com lists it, along with notes and a description if you're interested, but says it's out of stock. I'm sure a couple of places must still sell it.

Hope this helps.
    ~Silk