Code of Conduct

Default Cerruti 1881 Flanker Thread

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

I am a fan of flankers, something about 'em is intriguing to me, until I discover the flanker was just a poor excuse to cash in on a successful name/jus. I wrote an extensive review of one of my all time fav jus, YSL's Kouros here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/224...iew?highlight=

While I desire to collect flankers of anything that has flankers out there, and do an extensive review on the complete set, I have decided to draw awareness by creating threads for each fragrance and their flankers. This will allow for everyone to contribute their experiences with the flankers, most of which often fly by under the radar. The directory is a wonderful place to start, but I find that some flankers never make it on to the directory, so these threads will help mitigate that problem in the interim.

The idea for all this started with this thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/372...off-Cool-Water

First up is Nino Cerruti 1881.

Please share your experience. Also, if there is a flanker missing, please say so and PM me.

1. 1881
    2. 1881 Amber
    3. 1881 Black
    4. 1881 Intense
    5. 1881 Fair Play
    6. 1881 Acqua Forte
    7. 1881 Fraicheur d'Eau
    8. 1881 Eau d'Ete Summer Fragrance
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Default Re: Cerruti 1881 Flanker Thread

Own the five below and the Original and Black are my preferred but all are very nice IMO

1881 Amber
    1881 Black
    1881 Acqua Forte
    1881 Eau d'Ete Summer Fragrance

(2150)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Own the five below and the Original and Black are my preferred but all are very nice IMO

1881 Amber
    1881 Black
    1881 Acqua Forte
    1881 Eau d'Ete Summer Fragrance

(2150)
    Please do share more about Acqua Forte. Love the bottle, but can't get the jus...looks like a euro only launch.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    Please do share more about Acqua Forte. Love the bottle, but can't get the jus...looks like a euro only launch.
    I got this at the airport at Duty Free in Paris in July on a trip. Very nice, fresh, green scent. Reminds me of Mugler Cologne.

(2156)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned
    Blog Entries

1881 Black is special

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I got this at the airport at Duty Free in Paris in July on a trip. Very nice, fresh, green scent. Reminds me of Mugler Cologne.

(2156)
    thanks! Sounds like this should have been called Acqua Colonia...
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

1881 Black is a really cool fragrance. Not that I lament it is no longer in my collection, but I might consider it again. It's a shame it is off the radar, seldom mentioned.

I really like the original 1881 the best.

I am not much help with the flankers, however, my first testing of 1881 Intense had me very queasy ! I have not braved another sampling of it since.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    thanks! Sounds like this should have been called Acqua Colonia...
    That wouldn't be a stretch by the way!
    (2119)

On hednic's nod, I picked up 1881 Black and really enjoy it. I have not tried any of the others. I love L'Essence de Cerruti.

Quote Originally Posted by smoothie72 View Post
    On hednic's nod, I picked up 1881 Black and really enjoy it. I have not tried any of the others. I love L'Essence de Cerruti.
    Glad to hear you enjoy it.

(2223)

1881 Black is the only one I've tried. Didn't like it much.

I may have to check out this 1881 Black, hopefull it won't be redundant, and smell like something I already own. I am very unfamiliar with the Cerruti brand. I have only tried Image, and this was about 5 years ago. I recall it being a very fresh, vibrant, citrus/aquatic type.. common smelling.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Firstly let me start of by saying that i beleive 1881 has recently been reformulated , but never touched on here at BN so far .
    Ok , I have over a dozen 10ml mini bottles of vintage & this frag is a classic & criminally slept on here by many BN'ers .
    I have recently purchased Black & Intense .
    They both are not worthy of the 1881 labelling .
    Intense is just to candy assed & ambery & Black is very generic in smell & structure despite having that Marzipan key accord .
    so very sad .........
    As in my opinion these two are not in the same league .
    cheers

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Firstly let me start of by saying that i beleive 1881 has recently been reformulated , but never touched on here at BN so far .
    Ok , I have over a dozen 10ml mini bottles of vintage & this frag is a classic & criminally slept on here by many BN'ers .
    I have recently purchased Black & Intense .
    They both are not worthy of the 1881 labelling .
    Intense is just to candy assed & ambery & Black is very generic in smell & structure despite having that Marzipan key accord .
    so very sad .........
    As in my opinion these two are not in the same league .
    cheers
    Agree that the original 1881 as it was first released and which I'm glad I have a bottle of is the best in the line. Haven't tried what's out there now, but am inclined to believe that it is a mere shell of its former self.

(2277)

Any idea where I can find Acqua Forte online?

Cerruti 1881 Black is a great one! Really smells good to me. Don't own it, though.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

DonPatrizio, from here: http://www.fragrancedirect.co.uk/nin...l/invt/0026858
    Ignore the reviews, they are from 2010. It's an updated page and somehow it loaded reviews from a gift set of regular 1881.

Out of the flankers just owning Amber, but also like Black and Intense, would thus be likely to choose them as future purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
    DonPatrizio, from here: http://www.fragrancedirect.co.uk/nin...l/invt/0026858
    Ignore the reviews, they are from 2010. It's an updated page and somehow it loaded reviews from a gift set of regular 1881.
    Thank you for the link. Unfortunately they do not ship to the US. I am trying to find someone from the UK to ship to me.

Last edited by OPomone; 25th April 2014 at 08:25 PM.

Black and Aqua forte are okay, original smells like old woman to me

Quote Originally Posted by OPomone View Post
    The most recent flanker - I mean 1881 Bella Notte for men - is a poor and ultra-light patchouli & vanilla combo.

Zero projection, supersonic drydown (what has happened to the citrus notes?). After a quarter of an hour, by making a real effort, you still can smell something like a sweet nothingness.

Bella Notte? I would rather say Brevissima Notte.
    Wasn't aware that this was out yet as I thought it was supposed to be an April release. May I ask you where you were able to find it near you? I happen to like all the flankers in this series so far, so I'm curious.

Last edited by OPomone; 25th April 2014 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OPomone View Post
    In France, it is available exclusively at Marionnaud since the beginning of March.
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    Black and Aqua forte are okay, original smells like old woman to me
    GrassHopper and Po.jpg Grasshopper BtB , "is that one old woman or all old women ?