Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    heart of ice

Default Re: All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, April 7, 2012 *** FLORALS

I've said it many times, but I'm not a floral-y girl ... or so I always thought. For sure, my tastes have evolved and changed a lot and I have actually started to enjoy florals. Sometimes.

I'm wearing By Kilian Love and Tears, Surrender today. To me, it's a pretty straight forward, fresh and radiant jasmine. No leather. No heavy incense. No amber or vanilla. None of the notes I usually require to really like a fragrance. So why do I like it so much? I don't know, but I really do. I can wear it without feeling like I'm be beaten up by it ... No hard lines, no screeching, no soapiness.

Notes: bergamot, petitgrain, lavandin, galbanum, daffodil, Egyptian and Indian jasmines, lily of the valley, orange blossom, ylang-ylang, jasmine water, cedarwood, oakmoss, and styrax
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I love florals - and a few days ago I was very excited to experiment, but this weekend I forgot all about it and have been sampling small bits of - florals!

Yesterday:

Verte Violette L'Artisan Parfumeur - violet is a a favorite of mine for late winter, and I recently moved by a park that has 3 different kinds of violets in the lawns and trial so I will probably wear it until off and on until they stop blooming. This violet is sharp and clean on me, and perfect for work.

Iris Nobile by Acqua di Parma. I like this one, but I don't think of it as an iris, which I often find paired with musky-powdery notes, but think this one is more warm white flowers. Beautiful though.

Today I sample scent that are LOTV or a strong LOTV note - but not Diorissimo! Earlier was Annick Goutal Le Muguet, I put off trying it but I do not know why because I like the strong and sweet LOTV note. Later I switched to Lily of the Valley by Penhaligon, much softer and soapy in the drydown, and a bit synthetic smelling to me, especially compared to Le Muguet.

The plan is to try Idylle by Guerlain and/or a Boucheron floral.

Blog Entries

Shades, there's something magical about Love and Tears -- I did not think I loved jasmine until I got this one! I have lost my sample of it. Arrggghhh.

I was braver than yesterday -- I tried on something that gives me creeps, and it is Rubj EDT. Oh, I consider myself not a white floral gal (see above). So Rubj orange blossom kinda scares me. Still does. On the other hand, my husband responded with immediate, "Oh this is nice!" -- so interesting to discover which ones he likes! Expensive taste this boy has, too!

Blog Entries

Quarry, Sabi sounds beautiful! l'll be off to the directory shortly to look this one up.

l didn't have time to post before work this morning, but just to update; the bf's verdict on Carnal Flower was that it was "granny-ish, a bit lavender-y"!!! Talk about mortified! Ah well, l will just comfort myself with the fact that he has chronic sinus problems & probably can't smell what l smell, & remember not to wear it around him. Myself l felt as if l smelled utterly divine!

Today l wore Annick Goutal's Un Matin d'Orage, from another longed-for & recently acquired bottle. When l first sampled this from a dab vial, l got the heavenly scent of a garden after rain. Not a specific flower, but the radiant, limpid smell of a garden full of wet flowers. Having now sprayed it, l find that in addition to this, l get a very authentic-smelling ambergris in the drydown, which adds a whole new dimension to it. Beautiful! And l got a very nice compliment on it from a female colleague, too.

This evening l am wearing Parfums Luxe: Champaca by Comme des Garcons, from my precious decant. Although it has woody, spicy, & incensy aspects, l get a big, creamy white floral note from this, which l adore. l may have to save up for a bottle of this one, God help my credit card!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.