Code of Conduct

Default high notes for ladies perfume

Hello basenotes. I'm working on some sample for some of my lady friends and I'm wanting to stick to all natural ingredients ( essential oils). Does anyone have any suggestions on some decent high note essential oils? I like those pleasant insanely high notes that have people asking themselves "what was that?" and and then it rolls into the perfume base. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: high notes for ladies perfume

Pepper has a shocking effect on me when put on top of some pleasant composition. But it must be not too intense or I get a really bad headhache
    In alternative you can try some herbal note, or the classical (though sometimes banal imho) citrus notes, maybe with some "not so common" oil like lemongrass or grapefruit
    Sebastiano - Organic Chemist

If you can get some Coriander Leaf oil (leaf not seed) you will have a nice aldehydic green top note, with a slight coconut effect underneath. Pink Pepper, and Davana are my favourite top note oils.

The obvious choices are citrus and lavender (and there are lots of varieties of both of those worth exploring, including some unusual ones) but I agree these can be over done.

I second David’s suggestion of Davana (Artemisia pallens) - very lovely stuff and not widely used. Pink Pepper (Schinus molle) as well as Black Pepper (Piper nigrum) are both good and also don’t neglect the mints (Mentha sp): you need to use them sparingly but in small amounts they can add a great lift to a fragrance without ever making it smell minty.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

What does the rest of the perfume smell like?

@ Lauren. It has a Sandalwood base that had been soaking in musk grains. I'm playing around with several sweet flower essential oils as the middle notes and some serve as top notes as well. I took the suggestion of the pink pepper and davana and it's on the way. When those arrive I'll experiment with it. So far it's sweet florally and then rolls into the sadalwood musk base.

Peppermint oil is extracted from Mentha piperita of the Labiatae family and is also known as brandy mint. This cooling and refreshing essential oil is used in aromatherapy to stimulate the mind, increase mental agility and to increase focus, while cooling the skin, reducing redness and calming irritation and itchiness.