Code of Conduct

Default Spotting a fake: Prada Infusion D'Homme

So occasionally I'll buy from suspect sellers just to see what I'll get. Once in a while, you get surprised with the real deal (maybe they didn't know what the fragrance was actually worth?), but most times, you get fakes. Poorly-made hilarious fakes. I will only buy if I can pay through Paypal, who screws over sellers regularly, but they really cover your butt when you're a buyer. Gotten full refunds on 100% of disputes so far.

I have a few real gems, but for now, we'll start with the Prada Infusion D'Homme that I got from a seller in China. If you guys like the pics, I may do more like this, but I really have to start throwing out these fakes as they have a broad range aromas, ranging from Raid to vinegar, to citronella candles, to soiled-Indian-food-baby-diaper. They're making me ill.

Anyway, here's how to easily spot a fake Prada Infusion D'Homme:

(Full size picture here)

Default Re: Spotting a fake: Prada Infusion D'Homme

This info is helpful for those who don't know the signs. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    This info is helpful for those who don't know the signs. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks! Buying online can net some real bargains, but can also leave one wondering what they heck they just got. Some fakes are so well-done anymore, that it's very difficult to tell if you don't have a side-by-side comparison. The fragrances themselves can actually be fairly well-faked as well, but usually are weak, have a strong alcohol smell, and disappear in minutes (this is a good thing). I have a comically poor Egoiste fake that I'll probably post soon. That is, if the smell from the leaking atomizer doesn't kill me first.

This will be my favorite series of threads of all time. Please never stop posting these. Can I request more pictures also please.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    This will be my favorite series of threads of all time. Please never stop posting these. Can I request more pictures also please.
    Haha, thought you'd like this. I have a fake bottle of Egoiste that I'll be comparing to the bottle of Egoiste I got from you, so you'll be in the supporting cast. The fake bottle is so poorly made, it actually wobbles if you nudge it.

Buying from sellers in China is never a good idea. I've read that most counterfeits originate in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    Buying from sellers in China is never a good idea. I've read that most counterfeits originate in Hong Kong.
    I don't doubt this at all. I have gotten some legit frags from the Philippines, but not one from China so far. I just make the seller promise the product is authentic, and if it arrives and is fake, I just send a screenshot of the promise to Paypal, and get a refund every time. I currently have an angry Chinese seller insisting that I pay return shipping on his counterfeit juice. Not gonna happen.

Just as an additional tip (I know the Paypal process like the back of my hand at this point)- When ruling in your favor, Paypal will sometimes request that you send the product back at your cost. If this happens for some reason, just give them a quick call (they're surprisingly efficient via telephone) and explain that it doesn't make sense to send a worthless bottle back overseas at a high cost to you. They will then authorize the refund without you having to send anything back. Their system is very automated, which results in these counter-intuitive 'resolutions', but if you get a human to look at the situation and apply some common sense, you'll get justice. Have fun!

I recently dealt the same problem on EBAY. Luckily I had an authentic bottle to do a side by side photograph. In one case PAYPAL refunded my money back within a few hours of receiving the package. I called them asking if I could send them a photo...not necessary.

The second case was more difficult. I had a seller demand that I send him back his $10 bottle of fake cologne so he could get his money back from the guy who sold it to him. He wouldn't budge even when I opened a PayPal claim on him. I thought the same as you. Why risk yet another $7 shipping to send this back HOPING he will refund me my entire cost plus shipping. There is no logic in that at all.

I told him fine I will eat the cost but the feedback would reflect the sale. His 100% feedback score went down to 99.7. All for a $10 bottle of counterfeit cologne. Some people are stubborn.

Both these sellers I had trouble with had 100% feedback. What am I to think about EBAY these days ?

I did great on drugstore.com for a few bottles but then they sent me a fake of something they had originally sold me that was authentic. The risks far outweigh the benefits if you ask me.

Banned

thanks for the interesting info ...

On the positive feedback note, I've found a lot of unscrupulous sellers will only refund your money if you leave positive feedback for them. This is how many of them keep their ratings- from unsuspecting buyers who don't know any better and from extorting positive feedback from savvy buyers. I just tell them positive feedback will be left when I receive full refund. Once the refund is issued, you are free to leave whatever feedback you want, or none at all. I agree that it can be a hassle, but I have time at work to send out the necessary emails/pics/whatever, and like I mentioned above, I sometimes do end up with some awesome hauls to reward the adventurer in me. I just got a nearly-full 3.4oz bottle of La Nuit for like $30 on ebay because the dude mistakenly listed it as "pick up only". I emailed him after winning the auction (he's about 1,000 miles away from me) and he said he could ship for $6. You can't win if you don't play, but if I didn't have the spare time to mess with this it wouldn't be worth it. But if you have some time to negotiate, have thick skin, and (above all) a sense of humor, you're just playing a game of roulette with a money-back guarantee. Not for everyone, though.

Please keep posting these

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baldini View Post
    I currently have an angry Chinese seller insisting that I pay return shipping on his counterfeit juice. Not gonna happen.
    Pay him off in North Korean counterfeit bills!

I'd love to see the GC-MS analysis on these suckers. Given the toxic stuff these counterfeiters will put into baby formula, I'll bet they go hog-wild on the fake fragrances. I would really think twice about wearing any of this crap.