Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Do you think that Kouros is the ultimate best male fragrance ever?

Yes why not.

What comes close to it? Nothing!

I would like to reformulate your question by adding one word:

Do you think that Kouros is the ultimate best alpha male fragrance ever?

- - - Updated - - -

I personnaly use one bottle of Kouros each month. I get compliments even from the cashiers at wal-mart...
    Last edited by Dictator; 30th December 2012 at 02:07 AM.
    "You can look at a picture for a week an never think of it again. You can also look at a picture for a second and think of it all your life." Joan Miro

I think it is a bit lacking in structure and prefer the similar Joint for Men. Then there is the reformulation issue, which with the most recent Kouros formulation appears to be quite significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    the most recent Kouros formulation appears to be quite significant.
    What? I was not reformulated okay!?
    "You can look at a picture for a week an never think of it again. You can also look at a picture for a second and think of it all your life." Joan Miro

I haven't smelled the current reformulation but, based on the version I have, I'd say that it could stake a claim to that title. I think Yatagan might be its most formidable competition.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dictator View Post
    F*** you! Smell it first. What did I told you about thinking?
    NO Flaming on the board!

- - - Updated - - -

I have a vintage bottle and I think it's a complex and wonderful fragrance. I have not tried the new formulation ,so, I cannot comment on it's character.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by Baldini View Post
    Possibly, if by "male fragrance", you mean "fragrance made from the essence of a male, including his pits, feet, and nether-regions". In that regard, nothing comes close.
    So true.

C'mon man!

- - - Updated - - -

C'mon man!

No, but it is one of the big boys

To directly answer the question, no. It is very good and obviously original, but as always, labeling the "best" something or other in an area as subjective as fragrance is ultimately an exercise in futility.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Not the absolute best, but I do love this one and wear it regularly. It works well with my skin. I have one of the more desired batches, if that makes sense. My bottles have more silver on them, on the bottom, top etc. Much different from most of the later reforms.

Kouros is probably the ultimate worst male fragrance ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Temptation View Post
    Do you consider Kouros as the best and revolutionary male scent ever made compared to any niche or designer brands?

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    YES!

Nothing has yet beaten Kouros for me when you look at the overall package:

Uniqueness of scent
    Brutality of smell
    Longevity & Projection combined
    Price
    Versatility - can be worn all year round, in summer it smells even better

In short this fragrance is a mile mark in the history of male fragrances.

I understand the guys who think this smells of urinal cake, hospital and dentist, they most likely will never whole hearted get to appreciate Kouros.
    For us fans - Kouros is what all niche frags only dream of being day in, day out - but will never be - NEVA' NEVER EVER !!
    Well said. Also it has the best name/bottle and excels when it comes to manly sexiness. It sits on the throne alongside Moustache Concentree. Just thinking about it makes me want to give my bottle of Pure Malt to my little niece.

Not really

No :|

Quote Originally Posted by JyyskNotes View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^

No, but I consider The Rotters Club by Hatfield & the North as one of the greatest albums ever made.

Possibly the crappiest replies to a thread I have seen on Basenotes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Possibly the crappiest replies to a thread I have seen on Basenotes.

(Apart from the pro Kouros ones)

:-)

No. It's a great classic but far from being the greatest.

its a really fine fragrance. but to be the finest... that's subjective

ANTAEUS rule

Certainly top ten, possibly a top five.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

CologneFan85

Not even close

I think this one hasn't stood the test of time, I can't imagine very many younger folks trying to smell like this

Banned
    Blog Entries

Kouros is a timeless classic, an unquestionable aphrodisiac, sensual, mysterious and romantic. It never fails to impress.

I wear six sprays when I walk into the nightclub, I approach the most attractive woman in the room, she asks me what I'm wearing (and wishes her boyfriend would wear that) and I always end up at her place for the night.

There is no way, IMHO, one can say any male fragrance is the best or worst ever. I think Kouros is a remarkable and wonderful fragrance, just like many others, including Angel for Men!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

A well made fragrance but I could not wear it. It simply is not for me. But more power to those who can rock Kouros.

No. The ultimate male fragrance is that of a young mature man that wears no fragrance for three days while working hard. That is what a man smells like. Anything else is alchemy.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Basenotes Plus

I strongly concur. I was about to write something to this effect, but Ken_Russell, as always, contributed a perfect comment to this thread.

Truly one of the most, if not THE most, polarizing scents of all time.

To each, their own.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Maybe not the absolute best, but almost certainly a scent likely to be often talked about almost for good or at least for a long time - it polarizes radically like almost no other male scent, it provokes passions and repulsions, it is loved, hated, wildly, intensely and wittily discussed, but unlikely to be overlooked anytime in near future
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Kouros again. You know...

I hear all this stuff on Basenotes about Kouros being a polarizing fragrance. You either love it or hate it, rah rah rah carefully measured discourse rah rah rehashed arguments ad nauseam rah rah blah. As for my own thirty-three-odd years of actually living on this planet (in several places around the globe, just to fend off the inevitable regional argument), I have never smelled Kouros on another human being, and if I did I would be severely disturbed, if not outright disgusted.

Not at all trying to disparage all of you fine gentlemen who are so vastly more well-versed in fine fragrance than I am, but seriously... to 99% of the populace, the people who don't share your refined tastes and knowledge, this either smells like urine or urinal cakes. Sure, this is a masterpiece of composition, and I applaud anyone who recognizes that and appreciates it for what it is, because hey, we're fume nerds over here and that's what this whole forum is about. But every time I hear someone say they actually wear Kouros on a day-to-day basis in the modern world with great success, it can't help but strike me as more wishful thinking internet-boasting than actual proper reality. Because, dude? Honestly. Urinal cakes. Even girls smell urinal cakes there, and they don't generally tend to even frequent places with urinal cakes in them.

This juice's application for any practical purpose is close to nil. I actually shudder to think what the people around you think of you when they smell that odor on you. I carry a certain sense of admiration for it because of its historical stature, but not once in a blue moon would I be caught dead wearing it because the people around me (as well as every other person in the modern world) would not even have a clue what to make of me.

It's like a 70s leisure suit: you can appreciate the historical stature, you can see the place it had in its particular cultural epoch and you can understand how it was awesome, but try wearing a Travolta-style white suit to a night out in any modern-day city and see how far it gets you, beyond the obvious novelty status. People will laugh and joke with you for a single drink, but try it beyond that and I'm guessing you'll see just how far the novelty stretches.

Kouros is the fragrance world's polyester suit - it had its time, but that time is over and done with by a long shot. It's an interesting (even intriguing) historical footnote, but in terms of today it is sadly and completely finished.

Kouros is dead; long live Kouros(?)
    Last edited by manatee; 29th March 2013 at 10:47 PM.

Dependent

I smelled it a few months ago on a character at a bar. Believe it or not, it didn't smell half bad -- far less digusting than what I smelled in a test vial. The super sweet incense opening had already burned off and it was drier, animalic and floral. He said it was his signature and that he had found that women really responded to it.

I think its one of the most nastiest smells I've ever smelt. Not even talking about fragrance wise

Basenotes Plus

Manatee -

Your thoughts are subjective and respected. However, to those who love the scent...Kouros is still as relevant today (if not even more) than it was when it was in its 'glory days'. It is a scent that introduces you without saying a word (then again, so does one's attire - and scent is part of how we present ourselves to all that we meet). ;-)

Personally, I can relate to how you feel as a lot of others are of this mindset. That is perfectly fine. Enjoy what you enjoy and leave Kouros for those who still appreciate it...and wear it with great adoration. There really isn't any in-between.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by manatee View Post
    Kouros again. You know...

I hear all this stuff on Basenotes about Kouros being a polarizing fragrance. You either love it or hate it, rah rah rah carefully measured discourse rah rah rehashed arguments ad nauseam rah rah blah. As for my own thirty-three-odd years of actually living on this planet (in several places around the globe, just to fend off the inevitable regional argument), I have never smelled Kouros on another human being, and if I did I would be severely disturbed, if not outright disgusted.

Not at all trying to disparage all of you fine gentlemen who are so vastly more well-versed in fine fragrance than I am, but seriously... to 99% of the populace, the people who don't share your refined tastes and knowledge, this either smells like urine or urinal cakes. Sure, this is a masterpiece of composition, and I applaud anyone who recognizes that and appreciates it for what it is, because hey, we're fume nerds over here and that's what this whole forum is about. But every time I hear someone say they actually wear Kouros on a day-to-day basis in the modern world with great success, it can't help but strike me as more wishful thinking internet-boasting than actual proper reality. Because, dude? Honestly. Urinal cakes. Even girls smell urinal cakes there, and they don't generally tend to even frequent places with urinal cakes in them.

This juice's application for any practical purpose is close to nil. I actually shudder to think what the people around you think of you when they smell that odor on you. I carry a certain sense of admiration for it because of its historical stature, but not once in a blue moon would I be caught dead wearing it because the people around me (as well as every other person in the modern world) would not even have a clue what to make of me.

It's like a 70s leisure suit: you can appreciate the historical stature, you can see the place it had in its particular cultural epoch and you can understand how it was awesome, but try wearing a Travolta-style white suit to a night out in any modern-day city and see how far it gets you, beyond the obvious novelty status. People will laugh and joke with you for a single drink, but try it beyond that and I'm guessing you'll see just how far the novelty stretches.

Kouros is the fragrance world's polyester suit - it had its time, but that time is over and done with by a long shot. It's an interesting (even intriguing) historical footnote, but in terms of today it is sadly and completely finished.

Kouros is dead; long live Kouros(?)
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Kouros is not the ultimate anything. People say that just because of that guide book that gives 5 stars to Kouros. Kouros smells like urine, together with bright cleanliness, and it is a weird mixture. I appreciate the composition, but I feel self conscious wearing it. I have never worn it outside my home. I would feel very insecure wearing Kouros at work or worse, on the streets. People might hate me because of how I smell.

Though I think that it's a good fragrance, there are better fragrance choices than Kouros out there, both designer and niche. There are far, FAR worse choices as well (again, both designer and niche).

As they say, pick your poison (and I'm not referring to Dior).
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I can't imagine wearing this everyday, but it does help reset my nose.

Amen
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Manatee -

Your thoughts are subjective and respected. However, to those who love the scent...Kouros is still as relevant today (if not even more) than it was when it was in its 'glory days'. It is a scent that introduces you without saying a word (then again, so does one's attire - and scent is part of how we present ourselves to all that we meet). ;-)

Personally, I can relate to how you feel as a lot of others are of this mindset. That is perfectly fine. Enjoy what you enjoy and leave Kouros for those who still appreciate it...and wear it with great adoration. There really isn't any in-between.

Cheers,

ericrico
    Hey ericrico,

I know that I'm being quite flippant in my dismissal of this legendary fragrance, but please be aware that I have nothing but love for those who rock Kouros and make no bones about it. I'm merely a product of my environment(s), and I just don't happen to particularly understand this fragrance's appeal. I'm perfectly content to leave it to the people who enjoy it. I would dearly love to understand how it makes sense in a social capacity, though. I just haven't had that experience, and I don't honestly see how it would ever happen for me (whether it'd be me wearing it or someone else).

Perhaps it's just my limited scenario. Could very well be. In any case, many happy returns to you and anyone else who wears Kouros and enjoys it.

Blog Entries

There are a few fragrances that I loathe; Kouros is one of these fragrances.

The original formulation was quite compelling, but the other day I was thinking that vintage Lapidus Pour Homme (1987) would have to rank #1 if I were compelled to choose one.

Not a big fan.