Code of Conduct

Default Royal English Leather = frustrating

I find that it has some good qualities. The opening is frequently described as being "highly reminiscent of urinal cakes"...alright, I accept that. I was wearing some reformulated Tabac Blond EDP (which I do not own and will never own) yesterday and noticed the same effect. It was something that I had written off as a licorice-like smell in the past. Anyway, once we pass that point, REL develops into a really nice buttery leather. I have heard people deny this and I have read through all of the posts on basenotes. All of the comments about it being an amber scent and lacking a real convincing leather effect and so on. So here is where I'm at:

I have had a sample of REL for a few months and I have worn it on several occasions.

3 weeks ago I bought a bottle of REL. I didn't open it and I returned it two days later. I purchased Cuir Mauresque instead. I do not regret this. Love that stuff.

Yesterday I found myself deciding between Daim Blond and REL. I chose Daim Blond (barely) and haven't opened it yet. I am really tempted to go in and swap it for REL.

Your job: convince me that either (a) REL is terrible and I don't need it and I'll never wear it or (b) that I am letting my anti-Creed feelings get in the way of a great fragrance.

Also looking for opinions on Daim Blond. As for the Lutens, I was down to Chergui, Ambre Sultan, Arabie, Muscs Koublai Khan, Daim Blond, or Un Bois Vanille (all of the great ones are non exports!). Chose Daim Blond for the suede. What can I say? I'm addicted to leather.

As always, thank you.

Default Re: Royal English Leather = frustrating

IMO, "You are letting your anti-Creed feelings get in the way of a great fragrance." to use your own words.

Quote Originally Posted by andregooren View Post
    Also looking for opinions on Daim Blond. As for the Lutens, I was down to Chergui, Ambre Sultan, Arabie, Muscs Koublai Khan, Daim Blond, or Un Bois Vanille (all of the great ones are non exports!). Chose Daim Blond for the suede. What can I say? I'm addicted to leather.
    I am very fond of Royal English Leather. Of your Lutens list, I can only say BUY ALL.

If you're really, REALLY fond of leather, you should sample Creed Cuir de Russie. It smells like boot leather, like that leather smell you get when you first walk into a western wear store.

To me this scent came across as a overpowering stench of what smells like womens hand cream to my nose. It stays cloying for a long time. The leather is hardly there, I would only where this if I worked at a sewage plant.lol

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    If you're really, REALLY fond of leather, you should sample Creed Cuir de Russie. It smells like boot leather, like that leather smell you get when you first walk into a western wear store.
    I assume I would love Creed's Cuir de Russie. What is the deal with this scent? I have heard that Creed locked it away in a vault and will probably re-release it at some point in the future. Or is it gone? I am afraid to sample it because I'm sure it will be great and then I will want it and it will become just like vintage Tabac Blond for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    To me this scent came across as a overpowering stench of what smells like womens hand cream to my nose. It stays cloying for a long time. The leather is hardly there, I would only where this if I worked at a sewage plant.lol
    That's interesting, re: "the leather is hardly there" and I wonder if this has more to do with what you expect a leather accord to smell like. It is definitely a different kind of leather but it smells distinctly leather-like to me, albeit a bit different from many of the standards.

I find that it has some good qualities. The opening is frequently described as being "highly reminiscent of urinal cakes"...alright, I accept that. I was wearing some reformulated Tabac Blond EDP (which I do not own and will never own) yesterday and noticed the same effect. It was something that I had written off as a licorice-like smell in the past. Anyway, once we pass that point, REL develops into a really nice buttery leather. I have heard people deny this and I have read through all of the posts on basenotes. All of the comments about it being an amber scent and lacking a real convincing leather effect and so on. So here is where I'm at:

I have had a sample of REL for a few months and I have worn it on several occasions.

3 weeks ago I bought a bottle of REL. I didn't open it and I returned it two days later. I purchased Cuir Mauresque instead. I do not regret this. Love that stuff.

Yesterday I found myself deciding between Daim Blond and REL. I chose Daim Blond (barely) and haven't opened it yet. I am really tempted to go in and swap it for REL.

Your job: convince me that either (a) REL is terrible and I don't need it and I'll never wear it or (b) that I am letting my anti-Creed feelings get in the way of a great fragrance.

As always, thank you.
    REL is a powerful and extremely worthy classic leather fragrance. It is one that I don't wear often but I'm happy to have it. Only a few sprays are needed for a wearing...so I expect my 75ml bottle to last many years. As a Creed greycap, it is on the endangered list!

Martin

The first part of REL is perhaps a bit pungent with dry leather. The floral heart with a sandalwood and ambergris base is quite nice and a throwback to 1920s style leathers.

REL is a fine fragrance, no doubts but if you're up for some real leather in the same vein, there's nothing like Knize Ten which does basically the same thing but a thousand times better and for 1/5 of the price. Daim Blond is nice but it's more suede thatn leather...
    Last edited by alfarom; 7th April 2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: typooooos

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

REL is a fine unilateral lather, not much development here, rather linear, but the leather accord is smooth and classy smelling, no matter how uncomplicated it may be

all of the great ones are non exports!
    Nah, there are a great number of fantastic Lutens in the export line.

Anyway, if it's leather you love, why not go for Cuir Mauresque? It's a fantastic leather fragrance.

Alfarom is spot on about Knize 10, it and Gold are also fab.

[QUOTE=andregooren;2523710]I find that it has some good qualities. The opening is frequently described as being "highly reminiscent of urinal cakes"...alright, I accept that.

It is a great classic fragrance. Perhaps Creeds' best along with Orange Spice (both of which are reported to be discontinued). I do find it amazing that so many people link some of the best offerings in men's fragrance with "urinal cakes!" If any such cakes indeed smelt like REL (or Kouros, for that matter) what a wonderful thing that would be! Sorry for the rant, this just really bothers me.
    Last edited by Hamp; 7th April 2012 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    REL is a fine fragrance, no doubts but if you're up for some real leather in the same vein, there's nothing like Knize Ten which does basically the same thing but a thousand times better and for 1/5 of the price. Daim Blond is nice but it's more suede thatn leather...
    I already own Knize Ten (love it) and am just looking to add to my collection of leather scents. And you highlighted my main problem with Daim Blond. I've been wearing it for the past few days trying to decide if that suede accord is enough to keep me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Nah, there are a great number of fantastic Lutens in the export line.

Anyway, if it's leather you love, why not go for Cuir Mauresque? It's a fantastic leather fragrance.

Alfarom is spot on about Knize 10, it and Gold are also fab.
    Have them both, love them both. Anything else in the same neighborhood that I should grab before I get a bottle of REL?

[QUOTE=Hamp;2524395]
    I find that it has some good qualities. The opening is frequently described as being "highly reminiscent of urinal cakes"...alright, I accept that.

It is a great classic fragrance. Perhaps Creeds' best along with Orange Spice (both of which are reported to be discontinued). I do find it amazing that so many people link some of the best offerings in men's fragrance with "urinal cakes!" If any such cakes indeed smelt like REL (or Kouros, for that matter) what a wonderful thing that would be! Sorry for the rant, this just really bothers me.
    I understand the frustration. There seem to be a lot of people who dislike Creed and I was hoping to preemptively deflect some of the more common complaints I have heard about REL.

I think most of the scents people rave about by Creed are pretty awful, but Royal English Leather is one of my favorites. I always enjoy it so much when I sniff it in the store. Chevrefeuille is another great one.

As far as the opening, I always thought it smelled a bit like Brut's opening!
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Banned

If you are that undecided about Royal English Leather, perhaps, it is best if you forgo buying it at all.

try:

Cuir Pleine Fleur by Heeley - One is initially treated to an enchanting, herbaceous melange. Violet leaf with its marked greenness, akin to grass clippings, couples with the bittersweetness of bergamot as well as the sweetly floral and faintly woody aroma of mimosa. An illusion of a hay-stacked pasture is consummated. Transitioning to the heart, a nascent, leathery castoreum blooms, while lovely black locust adds its indolic, orange blossom flavor and hawthorne imparts its slightly honey and almond aspect to the exquisite opening blend. Immersed in the augmented mixture, the resplendent leather takes on a refined, suede-like aura. An undercurrent of aubepine, with its slightly rose-like odor and anise-like facet, as well as the wintergreen of birch carries the luxurious, leather concoction to the waiting base. The sumptuous leather is lifted by the woody birch, which comes into its own, with its somewhat medicinal and spearmint facets marrying with the earthy grassiness of vetiver as well as the pencil shavings of Virginia cedar. An elegant drydown ensues. A majestic scent for all seasons, this polished, masculine composition has average projection and good longevity, 8-10 hours.

&

Cuir by Lancome - Upon application, one is treated to an ephemeral, citrus accord of the bitter orange of bergamot as well as the sweetness of mandarin. Coupling with a smoky leather, reminiscent of nubuck, an alluring suede drifts to the spicy floral of the middle. Here, in the enthralling heart, whispers of seductively sweetish jasmine, sweetly fishy hawthorn, creamy and sweet ylang ylang, cloak the comforting, soft leather with their lovely, floral melange. Mystical saffron bathes the blend in its somewhat medicinal and creamy character, and leads the wondrous concoction to the waiting base. An enabling orris, a balsamic and vanillic styrax, a warmly herbaceous and earthy patchouli, and woody birch, all commingle, enhancing the leather aura. An awesome drydown ensures. This elegant composition has restrained projection and very good longevity. Cognizant of its inexpensive price point and its fine leather quality, this handsome fragrance should be a welcomed addition to one's wardrobe.
    Last edited by dollars&scents; 9th April 2012 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    If you are that undecided about Royal English Leather, perhaps, it is best if you forgo buying it at all.

try:

Cuir Pleine Fleur by Heeley - One is initially treated to an enchanting, herbaceous melange. Violet leaf with its marked greenness, akin to grass clippings, couples with the bittersweetness of bergamot as well as the sweetly floral and faintly woody aroma of mimosa. An illusion of a hay-stacked pasture is consummated. Transitioning to the heart, a nascent, leathery castoreum blooms, while lovely black locust adds its indolic, orange blossom flavor and hawthorne imparts its slightly honey and almond aspect to the exquisite opening blend. Immersed in the augmented mixture, the resplendent leather takes on a refined, suede-like aura. An undercurrent of aubepine, with its slightly rose-like odor and anise-like facet, as well as the wintergreen of birch carries the luxurious, leather concoction to the waiting base. The sumptuous leather is lifted by the woody birch, which comes into its own, with its somewhat medicinal and spearmint facets marrying with the earthy grassiness of vetiver as well as the pencil shavings of Virginia cedar. An elegant drydown ensues. A majestic scent for all seasons, this polished, masculine composition has average projection and good longevity, 8-10 hours.

&

Cuir by Lancome - Upon application, one is treated to an ephemeral, citrus accord of the bitter orange of bergamot as well as the sweetness of mandarin. Coupling with a smoky leather, reminiscent of nubuck, an alluring suede drifts to the spicy floral of the middle. Here, in the enthralling heart, whispers of seductively sweetish jasmine, sweetly fishy hawthorn, creamy and sweet ylang ylang, cloak the comforting, soft leather with their lovely, floral melange. Mystical saffron bathes the blend in its somewhat medicinal and creamy character, and leads the wondrous concoction to the waiting base. An enabling orris, a balsamic and vanillic styrax, a warmly herbaceous and earthy patchouli, and woody birch, all commingle, enhancing the leather aura. An awesome drydown ensures. This elegant composition has restrained projection and very good longevity. Cognizant of its inexpensive price point and its fine leather quality, this handsome fragrance should be a welcomed addition to one's wardrobe.
    I have a sample of Cuir Pleine Fleur and I find the leather too soft and the scent a bit too floral; overall I was unimpressed, especially considering the praise it has received. I feel I do owe it another try though. As for Lancôme's Cuir, I just ordered it a few weeks ago and have had the scent in my collection for one week as of tomorrow. I ordered it without ever having tried it and was not disappointed, It is a bit different than I imagined but lovely overall.

As for REL, my problem is that I have gone back and for the between loving it and not loving it with such intensity...normally I can decide if I like a fragrance pretty quickly but this one...maybe I am so intrigued because I can't figure it out. There is something about it that keeps pulling me in, though.

Your job: convince me that either (a) REL is terrible and I don't need it and I'll never wear it or (b) that I am letting my anti-Creed feelings get in the way of a great fragrance.What can I say? I'm addicted to leather.
    Well, what can I say, are you really sure you into leather? Because it seems you buy it, and afterwards return it, because after acknowleding the fact of having a full bottle it becomes somewhat of challenging for you at certain point... Anyways.. IMO leather is a very special genre on perfumery and it is definitely not a crowd pleaser, reason why on mainstream perfumery there are not much leather based fragrances compare to citric, florals etc, that being sad, I would advise you:

Knize 10 (Heavy, Macho Leather),
    Chanel Cuir de Russie (IMO up to now on my leather Journey, this one it is heaven!)
    Last but certainly not least Guerlain Derby - However Leather on Derby share the stage with other notes, adding its unmistakably alpha male " Savoir faire "( Masterpiece ).
    Last edited by Bonoanimoes; 9th April 2012 at 07:46 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Why don't you just get a decant of REL and spend more time with it? I like it and also wear Daim Blond frequently. Creed Cuir de Russie on special occasions and the Chanel CdR is pretty butch. Another nice chemical leather is Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    Well, what can I say, are you really sure you into leather? Because it seems you buy it, and afterwards return it, because after acknowleding the fact of having a full bottle it becomes somewhat of challenging for you at certain point... Anyways.. IMO leather is a very special genre on perfumery and it is definitely not a crowd pleaser, reason why on mainstream perfumery there are not much leather based fragrances compare to citric, florals etc, that being sad, I would advise you:

Knize 10 (Heavy, Macho Leather),
    Chanel Cuir de Russie (IMO up to now on my leather Journey, this one it is heaven!)
    Last but certainly not least Guerlain Derby - However Leather on Derby share the stage with other notes, adding its unmistakably alpha male " Savoir faire "( Masterpiece ).
    It is just that particular scent... I own Knize 10 and Chanel's Cuir de Russie in both the edt and parfum (and I'm not really expecting to find anything that beats that). I plan to get a decant of vintage Derby. I have heard the reformulation is not really Derby at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Why don't you just get a decant of REL and spend more time with it? I like it and also wear Daim Blond frequently. Creed Cuir de Russie on special occasions and the Chanel CdR is pretty butch. Another nice chemical leather is Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather.
    I haven't actually purchased any decants (beyond the 1-1.5 ml sample size yet) because it seems that once you start getting a decent amount ~10-15ml you might as well shell out another $40 and just spring for a whole bottle. And Tuscan Leather...I have always loved that one. Tuscan Leather (along with C for men by Clive Christian) is on my wishlist. Someday soon, hopefully.

It's a great one, and I wish I still owned it.