Code of Conduct

Default Idole de Lubin (EdT vs EdP) and comparable scents?

So lately I've been falling for Idole de Lubin (amazing how these scents I remember not caring for years ago are now scents I'm mad for)

Two questions.

1) I've only tried the EdT, longevity and sillage are totally adequate but stronger is always better. I've read the EdP is also slightly reformulated. My question to those who have tried both, how drastic are the differences? Which do you prefer? What are the primary differences, aside from strength?

2) Anytime I'm doing my pre-bottle-buying research I always try to find all scents that are in the same league/comparable so I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this particular Lubin fragrance and could suggest an alternate that you feel is similar but better, or at least a worthy adversary?

Any help is very much appreciated and thanks

Default Re: Idole de Lubin (EdT vs EdP) and comparable scents?

To address your first question, I have both the EDT and the EDP, and to me the difference in the actual scent is not noticeable.
    Longevity and projection is much better with the EDP IMO. Others with more acute noses will be able to add more.

Personally I find the EDT waaaaaaay much better than the EDP which is sweeter, less leathery and in the polishing procedure it went through, it has been paradoxically devoided of the original brilliance.

There's nothing like Idole De Lubin around but, maybe, you might want to check Profumum Arso and Bois D'Ombrie for something with a vaguely similar vibe...
    Last edited by alfarom; 23rd April 2012 at 08:43 AM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Off-Scenter

The two formulations are more than a little different. The EdP includes a lot of sweet, dense, powdery amber, which to my mind obscures the original structure and destroys the paradoxical dark-yet-transparent character that makes the EdT so unique and compelling. I quote my own review of the EdP from the Basenotes Directory:
    Idole EdP is not merely a higher concentration than the EdT; Olivia Giacobetti has also recomposed the formula for this new release. The EdT’s accords remain largely intact, particularly the rum, smoke, and fruity leather. The most obvious changes appear in the base notes, where Giacobetti adds rock rose (aka labdanum), amber, and frankincense. The frankincense doesn’t register as an individual note to my nose, but the labdanum and sweet, powdery amber make quite an impact. Not, I’m afraid, for the better, either.

Part of the EdT’s appeal was a remarkable juxtaposition of darkness and smoldering luminosity, of strength and extreme transparency, of clarity and richness. The extra resins in the EdP might add complexity, but at the cost of opacity. Where the original is crystalline in its transcendent exoticism, the new scent feels conventional and earthbound. Where the former is pungent and somewhat provocative, the latter is all comfort. Indeed, those who object to the original’s peculiar animalic tang may find the new EdP much easier to love. It’s just that with all of the sharp edges sanded down, it doesn’t feel like my Idole any more.

I’ll be sticking with the EdT, thank you.
    By the way, the EdT is plenty strong and lasting for me.

DKNY Be Delicious Night (Edp) by Donna Karan is very similar to Idole (Edp)

Don't like the edp for the reasons Off-Scenter lists.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Wow, thank you all very much for the info. I agree, the EdT seems more than sufficient in terms of strength, sillage and duration.. at least on my skin. I've got a sample of the EdP version on the way but so far I'm still aiming for a bottle of the EdT. I'll also check out the DKNY recommended above but a little Googling seems to indicate it's a fairly feminine fragrance with freesia and jasmine?

Thanks all for the advice, it has been immensely helpful

Glad to hear the EDT remains closer to it's original theme than the EDP.

for swap/sale:

This has been added to my hit-list.

I have a decant of EdT (sold the bottle and save myself 10ml) and sample of EdP. Tried them side by side many times and there are no dramatic differences between two. Since EdT is much more on the aggressive side, i prefer EdT. EdP is not an improvement to the original...

I recently did a side by side comparison with Lubin EDP Vs Frapins Caravelle Epicee. Now both are boozy and go in different directions. The Lubin was strong out of the gate and overwhelmed the spicy smell of the Frapin, and it reminded me of what I imagine sultry nights in New Orleans would smell like. It smelled great to start with then a few hours in the novelty did begin to wane with the sweetness.

Now Caravelle Epicee opens with a strong spicy cumin and nutmeg accord then gets peppery before settling down to a light sweet woody base. It's slightly boozy compared to the Lubin but it's smell brings images of the Fall by a fireplace, a more of a cozy comfort scent.

So to sum up I would say Lubin is a dramatic boozy nightime going out scent where Caravelle Epicee is a quieter cozy comfort scent for those nights in or for moments of reflection.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I recently did a side by side comparison with Lubin EDP Vs Frapins Caravelle Epicee. Now both are boozy and go in different directions. The Lubin was strong out of the gate and overwhelmed the spicy smell of the Frapin, and it reminded me of what I imagine sultry nights in New Orleans would smell like. It smelled great to start with then a few hours in the novelty did begin to wane with the sweetness.

Now Caravelle Epicee opens with a strong spicy cumin and nutmeg accord then gets peppery before settling down to a light sweet woody base. It's slightly boozy compared to the Lubin but it's smell brings images of the Fall by a fireplace, a more of a cozy comfort scent.

So to sum up I would say Lubin is a dramatic boozy nightime going out scent where Caravelle Epicee is a quieter cozy comfort scent for those nights in or for moments of reflection.
    Great assessment. I've never considered Franpin's Caravelle. I recently put in for a sample of the 1270, seeing as I'm new to the designer. Got to start somewhere .