Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default My Gf prefer Issey miyake l'eau d'issey sport better than...

the aventus i just bought... she said: you should have bought issey miyake sport oh...

niche vs designer make me wonder the general appeal :-)

discuss

Default Re: My Gf prefer Issey miyake l'eau d'issey sport better than...

No reason why you can't have both.

Best to focus on her other qualities, not on her, I assume, not knowing the Sport version, bad taste in fragrance

Dump her ass!!!

I'm not surprised one bit. The average person (especially a female) is more likely to prefer designer fragrances. They are designed to appeal to the masses. Niche frags hold a very small market in the fragrance industry. They are designed for the select few who are really into fragrances, so they won't appeal to the masses. Just b/c a niche fragrance costs much more than a designer and is made with better ingredients, it's not going to translate to women preferring it over the designer. I like niche and designer equally, but my top compliment getters are designers (Curve, Acqua Di Gio, Polo Blue, etc...).
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Aventus smells like any supposed typical designer release ( if there ever was such a thing). There is NOTHING "niche-like" about Aventus. For something like that, I would recommend L'artisan's Dzing! or Il Profumo Noir Patchouli. But certainly not a pleasant sport scent like Aventus. Its a nice pleasant fruity smell with a tinge of smokiness. But nothing hardcore.

You can have L'Issey and Aventus. Its always good to have a nice stash of fragrances. You will be less likely to get tired of them and enjoy them more.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

just abit of topic but what does issey sport smell like?

I guess it's all personal preferences. I have not tried the scent you talked about, but Aventus I wear almost all the time. It's the only scent that I got complimented on and I feel congruent when I wear it. The girl I am dating really likes Aventus, but dislikes MR, YSL l'homme (she's 21 so figures). But I think just wear whatever you feel like.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1o24gz

Get a new girlfriend lol

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Aventus smells like any supposed typical designer release ( if there ever was such a thing). There is NOTHING "niche-like" about Aventus. For something like that, I would recommend L'artisan's Dzing! or Il Profumo Noir Patchouli. But certainly not a pleasant sport scent like Aventus. Its a nice pleasant fruity smell with a tinge of smokiness. But nothing hardcore.

You can have L'Issey and Aventus. Its always good to have a nice stash of fragrances. You will be less likely to get tired of them and enjoy them more.
    I felt the same way about Aventus. When I first smelled it, I thought it was just like other nice appealing designers like L'homme, Allure, Fierce, etc

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    I'm not surprised one bit. The average person (especially a female) is more likely to prefer designer fragrances. They are designed to appeal to the masses. Niche frags hold a very small market in the fragrance industry. They are designed for the select few who are really into fragrances, so they won't appeal to the masses. Just b/c a niche fragrance costs much more than a designer and is made with better ingredients, it's not going to translate to women preferring it over the designer. I like niche and designer equally, but my top compliment getters are designers (Curve, Acqua Di Gio, Polo Blue, etc...).
    This is simply offensive and unacceptably sexist mods please remove

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    Again offensive

Quote Originally Posted by Vince23heat View Post
    I felt the same way about Aventus. When I first smelled it, I thought it was just like other nice appealing designers like L'homme, Allure, Fierce, etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    How so? I highly doubt that poster's intentions were to offend women. He was simply stating that men's cologne designers create generic fragrances because they have been proven popular among women.

Again offensive
    Also, is this really that offensive. I don't think anyone would be taking offense to a ken doll placed on a curb... It's just adding humor to a common saying "kick her to the curb". I don't think this is sexist, more than just slang.... Women can say "kick him to the curb" as well. I'm surprised you wouldn't address the "dump her ass" comment a few posts above...

Why can't we have a little sarcasm now and then?

I found the picture kinda funny...

Also, I think mesaboogies response was a pretty good theory on what people outside the fragrance/niche community view as pleasing. It could be said for either gender. People should calm down...obviously the way it was worded was not mean spirited.

I'm not surprised one bit. The average person (especially a Male) is more likely to prefer designer fragrances. They are designed to appeal to the masses. Niche frags hold a very small market in the fragrance industry. They are designed for the select few who are really into fragrances, so they won't appeal to the masses. Just b/c a niche fragrance costs much more than a designer and is made with better ingredients, it's not going to translate to Men preferring it over the designer. I like niche and designer equally, but my top compliment getters are designers (Curve, Acqua Di Gio, Polo Blue, etc...).

Just balancing the scales.

I also get lots of compliments when I wear designer fragrances. I also get negative compliments from women.
    I have never ever got complimented when I had niche scents on my skin.
    I think that most designers produce fragrance for the average person.
    Niche is more likely made for pleasing and enjoying him- or herself. So it is not bad, but just strange and completely new to the average person. It sometimes makes other people curious.

Creed is only the niche brand for me (personally) to get complimented from people.

Alityke ,I'm sorry if my post offended you. To be honest, I do not see a single sexist remark in there. I consider myself a southern gentleman and a true appreciator of women, so I'm not going to make a serious sexist remark. I was simply discussing Niche vs Designer appeal to the opposite sex and stated that a woman is more likely to prefer designer fragrances. I understand that the lovely ladies here on BN have excellent tastes in much more refined fragrances than, let's say Abercrombie Fierce, but the typical girl, maybe not so much. I am just being honest and if my post offends you, then I'd hate to see your reaction to some of the other posts I've seen on here. At least in my experience.

As for you re-arranging my post to reflect a male's perspective on Niche vs Designer frags, it is not offensive in the least bit. Out of my group of male friends I am the ONLY one that is into fragrances. My other male friends couldn't tell you the difference between the expensive frags and the cheapies. In fact, less than a year ago I would have preferred designer over niche b/c Acqua Di Gio was my favorite cologne and I knew no other frags that were better. So you see, the average male would probably prefer designer to niche b/c designers tend to be crowd pleasers. However, the OP was talking about his girlfriend (female obviously) and how she preferred the Issey Miyake over the Creed, so naturally I gave my .02 on what females prefer in my experience. Once again, if it offended you then I apologize for it offending you, but I stand by what I said.
    Last edited by mesaboogie; 9th April 2012 at 10:22 PM.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Nothing wrong with that, I quite like the new Issey Miyake Sport as well. It is certainly possible to like fragrances from both the niche and designer sides of the street.

Basenotes Plus

To the OP... Hello there, Quebecois, and welcome to BN. I dont know if you can say niche scent have a general appeal to the public- you'd think so from this and other perfume sites but the general public thinks we are nuts to spend so much money on a bottle of scent.

Hmmmmm...on BN, I thought the appropriate way to deal with perceived offensive posts is to report to mods, not post on the thread. I see potential offense in mesaboogie's parenthetical addition of this phrase (especially a female).That part can be edited out. Otherwise a valid point. IMO.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I'm not surprised one bit. The average person (especially a Male) is more likely to prefer designer fragrances. They are designed to appeal to the masses. Niche frags hold a very small market in the fragrance industry. They are designed for the select few who are really into fragrances, so they won't appeal to the masses. Just b/c a niche fragrance costs much more than a designer and is made with better ingredients, it's not going to translate to Men preferring it over the designer. I like niche and designer equally, but my top compliment getters are designers (Curve, Acqua Di Gio, Polo Blue, etc...).

Just balancing the scales.
    Egads!!!!! How dare you!!!! When i am able to compose myself i will report this!!!!
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Egads!!!!! How dare you!!!! When i am able to compose myself i will report this!!!!
    :lol: