Code of Conduct

Default Spotting a Fake: Chanel Egoiste

OK, for this installment, it's time for (almost) everyone's favorite (non-exclusif line) male Chanel: The revered and inimitable Egoiste. The asking price ($20USD) was a sure sign of trouble, but the seller assured me this was "authentic Chanel". Armed with Paypal's buyer-friendly policy, I took the seller at their word, and in four short weeks, received this abomination of poor packaging (not pictured- sorry, it was soaked with the juice and my gf said either it goes or she goes), bottling, and fragrance. This one is so bad it's comical. I almost felt bad for the seller, that's how poor this imitation was. I will be comparing it to an authentic 100ml tester I got for a great price (thanks heperd!).

I could smell the fragrance when I got the box in mail because the atomizer was leaking, and there was juice everywhere. I will give it originality points, as it truly smelled of nothing I had ever experienced- a mixture of bug spray, Aquanet, and toilet bowl cleaner atop a smooth sandalwood base. So there's that. The bottle was misshapen and lop-sided- it actually wobbles if you nudge it (very rare in fragrance- form with function!). This one was a real gem, and I am proud to bring it to you guys today.

Without further ado: A tale of two Egoistes...

(Click here for full-size pic)

Default Re: Spotting a Fake: Chanel Egoiste

I have a real Chanel Egoiste, non-tester from Chanel.com. To answer your question, yes that address is on the back of the bottle "92200 NEUILLY SUR SEINE"

Wow! What telling photos!

Excellent info, thanks for taking the time to put this together & post :-)
    It's been a long hot Summer in Sydney, looking forward to Winter & wearing vanilla fragrances.
    http://DiaryOfAPerfumeAddict.blogspot.com/

You should have your own show on NatGeoHD.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

For those who want to identify Chanel fakes, Cubby on youtube did a good video about spotting real vs fake AHS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtVwRsP4KyE

haha thanks a lot!!! its a relief knowing mine is not fake hehe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    You should have your own show on NatGeoHD.
    Absolutely! I didn't realize that the quality on the Chanel fakes was getting as good as it is. Somebody with just a passing remembrance of their bottle of Egoiste, and no real knowledge of counterfeits, wouldn't think twice about calling it real, and just thinking the juice was off.

I'm assuming that it's "authentic Chinel" - or does some other place get the honors this time?

I wonder how many people that give negative reviews on here on Creed, Chanel, etc are basing their thoughts on fakes.

Maybe all those batch variations with Creed are just crappy fakes that these folks bought from fragranceguy290484 who has 100% positive feedback on eBay and selling 4 oz Creeds for $20.

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen. I have a fake of Chanel AHS, but as posted above, Cubby did a really good job of covering every aspect (I actually took some cues from him on things I wouldn't have thought to look at, like the insides of the caps) and I no longer have an authentic bottle for comparison. I'll keep an eye out for any "great bargains" that will make for good fodder, but I encourage everyone in the community to participate in "Spotting a Fake" if they have anything because 1) it makes for good education for us all, and 2) it's just plain funny. I almost feel bad buying these knowing there's a 99.999% chance I'm just going to get a refund, but then I think of all the people that the seller has ripped off, and suddenly, I don't feel so bad. Plus it's a service to the community, raising awareness, and other buzzwords here! Worth it.

Thanks man
    That was really helpful.
    fortunately mine is real!