Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Scent for a Funeral Service

I'm not sure if any scent would be appropriate. If any, my instinct would be something low profile with minimal projection, so as to not call attention to yourself. Your thoughts?

Default Re: Scent for a Funeral Service

I would have to agree, anything that's close to the skin. I would wear Gucci PH II, that's just me though.

A skin scent or something already mentioned like Gucci Pour Homme II would be appropriate.

This is one of a few occasions I think it's best to wear nothing.

I went to a memorial service a couple of weeks ago. I think I wore Guerlain Vetiver with a black suit. It was appropriate for the person and family, which is why I chose it.

Thanks, gentlemen.

i recently used Mark Birley for Men.

IMO something classic. I recently chose to wear Pour Monsieur by Chanel.To me it's very respectful.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks as always, men...I'm thinking of a light dose of Santal Noble.

Domenico Caraceni 1913.

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    Thanks as always, men...I'm thinking of a light dose of Santal Noble.
    Sounds nice CC.

Best wishes and go easy,

Koala.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned

From your wardrobe, a demure scent, such as Fougere Royale, Monsieur de Givenchy, Original Vetiver or Sycomore ...

I hate to go to funerals (though it's a way to achieve closure and/or support friends and family), and I find wearing a familiar scent somewhat offsets the sad mood often prevalent.

I have found Polo Double Black to be the fragrance best suited for such occasions.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

Banned
    Blog Entries

If it's a man's funeral, perhaps the scent he wore. He's want it around, wouldn't he?

Prada Amber Pour Homme. Very clean, soapy, and floral. Perfect for a formal occasion when you are dressed up. It's pleasant and not intrusive.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I hate to go to funerals (though it's a way to achieve closure and/or support friends and family), and I find wearing a familiar scent somewhat offsets the sad mood often prevalent.
    I know exactly what you mean CC. It's never easy. I'm glad you've at least found a fragrance that will, like you say, offset the sad mood.

Thoughts and best wishes going to you,

Koala.

I know exactly what you mean CC. It's never easy. I'm glad you've at least found a fragrance that will, like you say, offset the sad mood.

Koala.

Koala.

Koala.

The best thing to do is keep it simple as many have mentioned!!!
    Gary

Basenotes Member

Haven't gone to a funeral since I took up this hobby, but I would maybe reach for Dior Vetiver, and then just a couple of sprays.

Zino Davidoff. My minds eye pictures black roses, women with veils, and decaying vegetation. With that being said it's a lovely fragrance. Lol.

Koala.

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    This is one of a few occasions I think it's best to wear nothing.
    Agree

Funerals are my favorite! I'd go with Givenchy Gentleman, Avignon, or Van Cleef & Arpel's Pour Homme.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

I usually always use six sprays of D&G Homme with matching aftershave balm (since I always gets lots of cheek kisses).

I also always get dressed up for funerals. Given that, I don't see why I should be dressing down scent-wise for funerals. Just don't wear a party scent.
    Regards,
    Renato

This is very subjective and not even on a national level. This goes down to particular social-circle subjectiveness.

for swap/sale:

Lalique Encre Noire

Something classic, discreet, close to the skin, light, something like Armani Eau Pour Homme (1984) or Dior - Eau Sauvage or just wear nothing.

I'm not sure ... my instinct would be something low profile ... Your thoughts?
    Depends - if You were really touched by the situation: whatever makes You feel less depressed. But as You ask for advice on an online board I think You're not so closely related to the decedent.
    No More Buying - Leaving - Left

So far, I only went to funeral scent-free

The funerals I go to can be sad, but they are much more about life than death. And all funerals are for the living. So I would go as yourself and, if you usually wear a scent, wear a scent, one that you have that fits a fairly formal occasion where there probably will be strangers. I think most of the time no one notices that I am wearing a fragrance and if they do they don't particularly associate it with anything other than a pleasant smell. After all, virtually everyone has scent around them these days, in their clothes from detergent, in their hair from shampoo, deodorant, cosmetics. I figure I'm just being careful in keeping scents out of everything except the fragrances I choose especially for that day.

Salvador Dali Pour Homme
    Lalique Encre Noire
    Czech & Speake No. 88

Do not wear a fragrance.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post
    The funerals I go to can be sad, but they are much more about life than death. And all funerals are for the living. So I would go as yourself and, if you usually wear a scent, wear a scent, one that you have that fits a fairly formal occasion where there probably will be strangers. I think most of the time no one notices that I am wearing a fragrance and if they do they don't particularly associate it with anything other than a pleasant smell. After all, virtually everyone has scent around them these days, in their clothes from detergent, in their hair from shampoo, deodorant, cosmetics. I figure I'm just being careful in keeping scents out of everything except the fragrances I choose especially for that day.
    This may be the most arrogant post I've ever read. How can you have any idea what fragrance any individual attending the service associates with what. Scent recall is the most powerful memory trigger. Keep the scent out of EVERYTHING you choose because it's not about you.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Something light, close to the skin and pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    The best thing to do is keep it simple as many have mentioned!!!
    Gary spoke.

Sure fragrance is a memory recaller but in my experience at funerals people just aren't concentrating on such things. I've gone to a number in the last few years and I would have to say that a modest, pleasant scent is just not going to be noticed very much. If you go to a funeral, it IS about you actually. You celebrating a life, showing respect, being with family and friends.

I must say some people on this thread seem to have fairly ghastly ideas of what a funeral is. People die, we miss them, we show respect, we chat with the other people who came, some of whom we haven't seen for awhile, we remember the person who died. They are not all about gloom and doom and sorrow. Then life goes on. I say this as the son of a clergyman who conducted many funerals and the person who gave the eulogy at both my parents' funerals.
    Last edited by BurgundyMarsh; 5th April 2012 at 05:46 PM.

Clearly, some Basenoters around the world seem to think wearing scent at a funeral would be a sign of disrespect.

Which has me wondering if this is a fairly standard thought where they live (if so, does it also apply to women?) or is it just a personal thought on their way of showing respect?
    Regards,
    Renato

I'd go with all the advice for a discreet, rather formal fragrance, lightly applied. My own advice is to wear a fragrance that already has a broad range of experiences and associations for you. Not something new and not something that you always or only wore in a very specific situation. That way whatever you wear won't only be associated with someone's funeral. The exception, of course, would be if the deceased loved a certain frag on you and you wear it in their honor.

I think fragrance is inappropriate at a funeral (one of the occassions I don't wear a fragrance) for the following reason - the typical function of a fragrance is to make you more attractive. It asks for personal attention. It's thus inappropriate for the same reason it would be inappropriate to flirt at a funeral. A funeral is a time for reflection and paying respect to the dead.

Comparison with clothes is not really relevant. You don't dress up in a fashion to express your individuality, impress on others or make yourself look handsome to a funeral. You dress up according to the code for respectful attire.

The only acceptable use of fragrance at a funeral imo, is to smell clean. The line between that and smelling sexy is so fine that I simply rely on a shower to smell clean. I actually think the whole thing of thinking about what fragrance to wear to a funeral is unsettingly narcissistic.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I would love it if all you great smellin' folks showed up at my funeral wearing your SOTD!

This for wearing lightly to a funeral, or on me lightly at my own traditional funeral, or spritzed lightly at my funeral with my ashes in an urn or at a memorial service for my 'missing' body (in this last case I would hope I was alive and well and partying like it was 2099 in Cancun and I had just forgotten to tell anyone):

Domenico Caraceni 1913
    Last edited by kbe; 5th April 2012 at 07:37 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

If you want to play it safe: Pour Monsieur by Chanel (vintage), Monsieur Givenchy or none at all. Or be a proper gentleman and spray your handkerchief with the most comforting scent you know!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    The only acceptable use of fragrance at a funeral imo, is to smell clean. The line between that and smelling sexy is so fine that I simply rely on a shower to smell clean. I actually think the whole thing of thinking about what fragrance to wear to a funeral is unsettingly narcissistic.
    Yes, as is a designer suit/tie or dress. JC Penny (e.g.) only please
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

the typical function of a fragrance is to make you more attractive. It asks for personal attention. It's thus inappropriate for the same reason it would be inappropriate to flirt at a funeral. A funeral is a time for reflection and paying respect to the dead.

Comparison with clothes is not really relevant. You don't dress up in a fashion to express your individuality, impress on others or make yourself look handsome to a funeral. You dress up according to the code for respectful attire.
    This is all very weird to me.

One doesn't get dressed up to look handsome or good at a funeral? I don't have a separate group of suits and sports jackets labelled "lame" and another labelled "for looking good" - all of mine are good for funerals or weddings - though I wouldn't wear some shiny jackets others wear for night clubs. But if that is the only jacket they own, I wouldn't think it inappropriate with a plain tie.

Flirting - Who flirts at a funeral? However, I did post here 10 years ago about how a woman wearing Angel at a funeral wound up bowling me over - it lasted about a year.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I don't have a separate group of suits and sports jackets labelled "lame" and another labelled "for looking good"

Neither do I. But that's beside the point. My point was not that you must dress lame and smell like shit when you go to a funeral. I think you know that as well.

I don't have a separate group of suits and sports jackets labelled "lame" and another labelled "for looking good"

Neither do I. But that's beside the point. My point was not that you must dress lame and smell like shit when you go to a funeral. I think you know that as well.
    Your point is that,
    "You don't dress up in a fashion to ............... make yourself look handsome to a funeral. "

In Australia funerals are different from those in Italy. Over there everyone dresses well. In Australia there is always a mix of people wearing suits, sports jackets, good jumpers, office wear and those wearing jeans, sneakers and good shirts, and jeans and T-shirts. If you wear a suit or jacket, you are automatically dressing very well here. I suspect you have a different funeral attire culture where you live.
    Regards,
    Renato

My point is that a funeral is a solemn venue where you commemorate the dead and show respect and humility for the sorrow that his/her relatives have. Because of this, the code of conduct is very conservative. It's not a venue to make a fashion statement. That is my point.

To me fragrances are personal adornments, much like jewelry. When you attend a funeral you should keep jewelry minimal and subdued or leave them out. You don't bring out the gala bling to a funeral. I see fragrance in the same way. Something very minimal and subdued is ok. To leave it out is the safest.
    Last edited by PWJ; 6th April 2012 at 01:42 AM.

But yes, dress codes surely differ between cultures.

I fully agree with this answer I found on yahoo regarding this:

Some are allergic to colognes and it is best to not wear it to a funeral when it could upset someone more. You are there to be of service and to help those who are grieving and not to look good or smell good. Keep your focus on what you can do to help others - ask if they would like you to prepare a dinner and bring it over on a certain day next week. It is about them and not you

Blog Entries

Clearly people have very different opinions here but it is not necessary to judge another's choices. Do what you feel comfortable doing for the specific situation and for your local culture.

I'm not sure if any scent would be appropriate. If any, my instinct would be something low profile with minimal projection, so as to not call attention to yourself. Your thoughts?
    Lalique Ecre Noir
    Killian Taste of Heaven
    Antu Lord's Last Man Stading
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post

Koala.
    Cinquintial double posting - nice job
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Floris No. 89

I fully agree with this answer I found on yahoo regarding this:

Some are allergic to colognes and it is best to not wear it to a funeral when it could upset someone more. You are there to be of service and to help those who are grieving and not to look good or smell good. Keep your focus on what you can do to help others - ask if they would like you to prepare a dinner and bring it over on a certain day next week. It is about them and not you
    Well, someone at yahoo agrees with you.

Though I notice it uses the allergy argument which you may as well apply to every other life situation and ban scents altogether.

The notion that people are grieving so badly they need you to
    A........"not to look good" at the funeral, and
    B.........cook a meal for them,
    is silly to me - I'd expect those who lost someone to be as best dressed as they can be for their last goodbye and the attendees to try follow suit depending on how close they were to the deceased, and the grievers can order take away or eat at a restaurant if they are that out of it that they can't cook for themselves days after the funeral (in which case they're probably more in need theraputic care).

I am unsure where you or your culture is coming from on this funeral business, but as one of the grievers - someone who lost his father last year, and mother some years back, and who did the eulogy for each at their funeral masses - I really don't think there is anything wrong with wearing scents while doing it, nor with any of the attendees wearing scents. And I didn't want everyone moping around and looking sad the rest of the day at the wake we held for them.
    Regards,
    Renato

Renato

No one has said that you are obliged to look shabby and cook meals. You are taking examples and wordings and misrepresent the intent so to make the other view look silly. I think I'll leave it at that, because I feel the urge to ridicule your position in return and that will only be ugly and not very constructive. Let's agree to disagree.

Renato

Let's agree to disagree.
    Fair enough.
    Regards,
    Renato

To CC, I hope all goes/went well.

I think it is a question of judgement. All funerals are sad occassions, but some are more austere than others. If old Uncle Arthur was a strict Victorian disciplinarian and his mourners are largely of the same ilk, then restraint is called for. If, however, the deceased specifically wanted their funeral to be a celebration of their life and not a commemoration of their death, then more leeway applies.

My family know my wishes. I shall be consigned to the flames to the strains of "Enjoy yourself - it's later than you think" and my ashes will be put into a large firework rocket which will be let off on the anniversary of my demise. I'm also seriously considering recording my own service on dvd, for playing when the time comes.

Each to their own.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.