Code of Conduct

Default Similar to cadjmere and santal massoia?

I'm discovering I love transparent woody warm scents with a bit of green & coconut....

Cadjmere - myrtle branch, sap, red tangerine, rosewood, Kenyan cypress resin, coconut milk, sandalwood bark, ambrette seed, vanilla

Santal Massoia - Green Fig, Sandalwood, Massoia bark, Coconut, Vetiver

Anything similar I should be sampling? Thank you for your help!
    Last edited by galwaygirl001; 9th April 2012 at 12:56 PM.
    My current favourites Chanel Bois des Iles & Frederic Malle Iris Poudre

Default Re: Similar to cadjmere and santal massoia?

To me, i think cadjmere smells similar to aomassai

Haven't found anything yet that is close to Santal Massoia but I'm sure there are similar fragrances out there.

Power Where You Need It

This is quite a tough question, galwaygirl001! I can't think of anything that is really similar to either but you should probably give a chance to Santal 33 if you want a green-woody with a tad of cocout/fig...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Try Philosykos by Diptyque, opens really leafy, vey natural smelling and extremely green then on my skin quickly turn intoa coconut-y scent which I find quite similar with the opening of Santal Massoia without the spicy undertone. On paper the leafy green stay much longer though

I was wondering the same thing Galwaygirl.

Especially for cadjmere.
    for swap/sale:

Good question, as I love these scents also.
    Maybe try L'Artisan Premier Figuier Extreme. Or something in the sweet, woody genre (but without coconut) could be M. Micallef Gaiac.

Basenotes Institution

I agree with jasonx and cello, try Premier Figueir by L'Artisan Parfumeur (or Premier Figuier Extreme) and Philosykos by Diptyque. However, IMO, they do NOT smell like either of those two scents you like.

You might also want to try the new Turtle Vetiver Front by Les Nez (vetiver and coconut).
    "Human interaction can be hell. Or it can be a great spiritual practice."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Okay, at a big stretch, once it settles down after the quite moist fresh peppercorn opening Honour Man spreads out into a really nice, slightly milky soft woods accord that might just intersect with the Santal Massoia vibe. I detect a bit of a similarity in feel - dunno about Cadjmere, never tried it.

Thanks Everyone for your replies!

When hedonist & alforam are stuck for suggestions something tells me similar fragrances are extremely limited!

I have sampled micallef gaiac, santal blanc, santal de mysore & santal blush and get a 'rancid milk' smell which makes me nauseous. I came accross this post of mike's on another thread and thought; 'exactly, so its not just me!'

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I will also say that when I started out here at Basenotes, I detested laconic notes. Really I mean they made me almost nauseous. I still will never forget the time I smelled Rush by Gucci (the feminine) it smelled like yogurt that had spilled at the bottom of your refrigerator and fermented. Back then I avoided any scent that reviewers or press material called 'milky'. But I must admit that sandalwood was the note that got me to change my thoughts on this. As many of you know a facet and unique character of high quality sandalwood is a slightly creamy, milky facet (like the smell of a tub of creme fraiche smells when you tear off the lid) and since I have been immersed in sampling/owning so many sandalwood scents I think my nose has sort of gotten used to the lactonic effect. Now when I smell it in the Hermes, my nose welcomes it. This is a lesson for all of you new to fragrances: if you immediately hate a note in a fragrance, give yourself a chance to experience it at a later time. You most likely will be surprised.
    I initally found Philosykos too creamy, and while I recognise the same fig note in santal massoia, it is more transparent, sort of like philosykos's quieter more sophisticated little sister! I have sampled Philosykos again and it is growing on me.

I also sampled inux l'ether and liked it as another transparent slightly sweet woody fragrance, although it has no coconut or green wood. Still hoping to find 2 others to split a 150ml bottle with (and someone in france with access to the iunx store!).
    Last edited by galwaygirl001; 9th April 2012 at 12:13 PM.

Power Where You Need It

For a terrific iteration of "transparent-fig and subtle woods", there's nothing like Parfumerie Generale Jardins De Kerylos. Extremely sophisticated.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    For a terrific iteration of "transparent-fig and subtle woods", there's nothing like Parfumerie Generale Jardins De Kerylos. Extremely sophisticated.
    Its already on my perfumed court sample list alfarom! I think it was your review that motivated me too add it! Someone else described santal massoia as 'hermes does parfumerie generale'. Do you prefer Jardins De Kerylos to santal massoia? How do they compare? Any other transparent wood fragrances you can recommend?

(I love some non-sweet green wood fragrances - sycamore & bois d'encens, I just can't wear them, I feel they smell too masculine on me. I have a sample of Bois d'encens just to remind me of the smell of santa trinita church in florence - bois d'encens is a masterpiece).

Before committing to full bottle purchases - so far its looking like cadjmere & the travel sprays of santal massoia - I want to sample Jardins De Kerylos and any other similar transparent wood fragrances.

Power Where You Need It

I'm not much of a big fan of the Hermessence line, honestly, but I find Santal Massoia to be surely among their most successful deliveries. Jardins De Kerylos lacks the sandalwood completely. it's more of a green/transparent fig with detailed yet subtle floral undertones. If you're up for exploring more of the Guillame's compositions I'll suggest Bois Naufragè which is a light woody/coconut or Esvedra wich is a green-transparent and very modern vetiver that is perfectly unisex. One more suggestion could be Papyrus De Ciane (bergamot, galbanum, neroli, broom, lavender, mugwort, clove, incense, cistus labdanum, hedione, vetiver,Mousse de Saxe,Silvanone, white musk). Green, meditative, transparent incense...not the church-y type.

Power Where You Need It

galwaygirl001, today I revisited both Santal Massoia and Jardins De Kerylos and while I confirm that the latter completely lacks the sandalwood I still find an overall similar vibe. They're both extremely sophisticated, subtle but distinctive in their transparent-green character...I think JdK could really fit your bill here...

Side note: Santal Massoia is IMO is one of the best releases by Hermes in years...

Thanks alfarom,

I have been lusting after a bottle of Cadjmere for about a year, I haven't tried Jardins De Kerylos, so I'm going to ask for a sample when I purchase Cadjmere online.

Santal Massoia is the only Hermes I HAD to have! I bought the 4 15ml sample set - all santal massoia :-)

Looks like Perfumerie Generale is going to be a dangerous house for me to explore.....

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by galwaygirl001 View Post
    Looks like Perfumerie Generale is going to be a dangerous house for me to explore.....
    Many fragrances in this range have a remarkable gourmandic twist and while I'm usually not into gourmands, I've to admit that Guillame knows how to bring the genre to a completely higher level. That being said, there are also some "non-gourmandic" deliveries that are simply terrific (Intrigant Patchouli and Papyrus De Ciane among others)... Have fun

Tom Ford Santal Blush has the sandalwood / coconut note and you might also enjoy Tam Dao. You make me want to go back and wear Santal Massoia more often.

http://www.tedxdanubia.com/TEDxDanub.../Chandler_Burr

Chandler Burr, curator of the Department of Olfactory Art at the Museum of Arts and Design in New York City, and former perfume critic of The New York Times, gave a lecture discussing three works of great scent art done in three quite different aesthetic schools on September 23rd, 2011, at TEDx in Budapest, he describes the following:

1: Jicky (1889) Aimé Guerlain - From the Collection of Guerlain - The paradigmatic work of turn-of-the-century French Neoclassic/Romanticism.

2: Chanel N° 5 (1921) Ernest Beaux - From the Collection of Chanel - The first and greatest work of olfactory Modernism.

3: Santal Massoïa (2011) Jean-Claude Ellena - From the Collection of Hermès - Ellena’s latest, a work of Neo - minimalism/Luminism.

Alfarom, I recieved a decant of Jardins De Kerylos in a swap and I am enjoying it, but it doesn't last very long on me. It lacks the sandalwood note and is more green, less 'warm' than santal massoia. I like it.

galwaygirl001, today I revisited both Santal Massoia and Jardins De Kerylos and while I confirm that the latter completely lacks the sandalwood I still find an overall similar vibe. They're both extremely sophisticated, subtle but distinctive in their transparent-green character...I think JdK could really fit your bill here...

Side note: Santal Massoia is IMO is one of the best releases by Hermes in years...
    Last edited by galwaygirl001; 9th April 2012 at 12:52 PM.

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by galwaygirl001 View Post
    Alfarom, I recieved a decant of Jardins De Kerylos in a swap and I am enjoying it, but it doesn't last very long on me. It lacks the sandalwood note and is more green, less 'warm' than santal massoia. I like it.
    Glad to hear you liked it. As I previously told you JDK lacks the sandalwood but it's still a very sophisticated take and leafy fig. I don't have major longevity issues or, maybe should I say that I'm fine with its subtle presence. It's definitely not bombastic but it does great on summer when sprayed in abundance...