Code of Conduct

Default help me choose from Horizon, Rive Gauche PH, Eau de Rochas

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate some advice from experienced noses for a relatively inexpensive summer (or even all-year-round) fragrance. So far, based on reviews around the web, I have narrowed down my choices to three fragrances that I find very intriguing:
    Horizon by Guy Laroche
    Rive Gauche pour Homme by YSL
    Eau de Rochas by Rochas

Next week I may be able to sample RG at a Sephora store, as for Horizon and EdR it seems they are available mostly online.

My criteria for this purchase would be that it should be the reasonably fresh, evocative of summer and appropriate for my age (29).

I own and love Body Kouros (a blind buy) and Instant de Guerlain PH, yet these are generally a bit harder to wear in warmer weather. I also have CK Be which while nice enough is too tame and elusive. I used to have Carolina Herrera 212, Mugler B men and Cool Water by Davidoff and although I liked them a couple of years ago, I'm looking for something new.

Lately I have also sampled and found I dislike: Terre d'Hermes, Bleu de Chanel, Boss Orange and L'Homme by YSL. To me they are all overpowering and even downright revolting.

If it helps, I must admit that except for more basic ingredients like cocoa, lavender, pine or rose, I am ignorant about the difference between vetiver and bergamot or tonka for instance (sorry BN!). I know at least that I have a thing for sweet, powdery fragrances. So, would you guys recommend any of the 3 fragrances on my tentative wish list or perhaps suggest something else?
    Last edited by keoke; 8th April 2012 at 12:10 PM.

Default Re: help me choose from Horizon, Rive Gauche PH, Eau de Rochas

All good. I picked Horizon up on eBay for £5 a couple of months ago and would definitely wear it during summer. Rive Gauche i would wear anywhere anytime.

Try Hugh Parsons Blue too.

IMO, everyone should have RG in their collection. It's not my favorite but it's a solid, clean smelling, non-offensive performer (kinda sweet and powdery) that's perfect for when you just want to smell good. Try it at Sephora as you stated.
    Mark K

Rive gauche

Rive Gauche pour Homme by YSL

I'd take the first two: either one of Horizon by Guy Laroche or Rive Gauche pour Homme by YSL are highly versatile, smooth, mature, elegant yet easygoing, matching almost any category, age group of wearers, any season during the year, and in many cases, are affordable at low prices

I would say get both the Rochas and Rive Gauche pour Homme. However, if you must pick one, go with the YSL. I am not a fan of Horizon, as it stings my nose !

Rive Gauche pour Homme is certainly age appropriate, but it does not evoke summer. If you want something like that, I would say go with a fragrance with a sprakling or fizzy quality to it.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

rive gauche for formal and eau de rochas for casual

Banned

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent - Initially, one is treated to a brisk melange of bergamot, with its tart, citric dimension, rosemary, with its cooling, camphoraceous slant, and star anise, with its smoky licorice. This burst of freshness is fleeting, and the refreshing opening transitions rather quickly to the waiting middle. Here, in the herbal heart, a mixture of clean lavender imparts its soapiness, invigorating clove provides a slight smokiness, and crisp, geranium leaf bestows its lemony greenness. This barbershoppy concoction meanders to the awaiting base. A robust medley of earthy and musty patchouli, lemongrass-like greenness and clumped dirt from vetiver, as well as waxy and faintly smoky guiacwood commingle to present a sensual and somewhat dark drydown. This masculine composition has average projection, basically a skin-scent, and good longevity, 7-10 hours. Conjuring an illusion of shaving cream, this wonderfully original and unique scent should be had!

But, only the tin/aluminum can !

If a frag for Summer is a big factor then I would go with Eau de Rochas if not then Rive Gauche.

RG by far
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

They're all great, but Rive Gauche is the best of the bunch, hands down.
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.

Eau de Rochas!!!!!!! It's fresh, classy, nothing cloying.
    For a winter powdery try Dior Homme or DH Intense.
    For a summer powdery try Prada Infusion D'Homme.