Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: How would you clean out an atomizer?

Cleaning atomizers seems like a lot of work considering that they are so inexpensive.

Default Re: How would you clean out an atomizer?

You can clean them in the warm water solution of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) - two table spoons for 1 liter of water

Default Alcohol for bottle cleaning

Hi I was wondering if anyone out there has any idea on which is the best solution in which to clean decant bottles/sample vials etc. when putting some new juice in.
    Some are pretty tenacious! I took Eau Noire and Sables on hols in a mini spray about a year ago and despite several scrubbings they still smell!
    I did buy some alcohol from Ebay but it didn't work very well so if there's a specific type of alcohol I'd much appreciate knowing which and where to get it from etc.
    Thanks

Default Re: Alcohol for bottle cleaning

Don't bother...buy new ones.

Could get rather expensive though!

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Agree

Ditto
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Where sprayers are concerned I agree - cleaning them is futile - if they are glass you can get the glass part clean but the plastic parts of the sprayer are near impossible to clean sufficiently. They are cheap if you buy them in quantity anyway: treat them as disposable or keep re-filling with the same fragrance if you are using them as portable rather than testers.
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
    Could get rather expensive though!
    Not a cheap hobby!

^^^^ I agree with Chris Bartlett who I sense dabbles a lot in his own fragrance creating. If we weren't a fairly persnickety bunch, I'd say you would be fine cleaning with alcohol. But indeed, when any plastic comes into the mix, I think the first fragrance in the container "bites" into the plastic.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 6th October 2011 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    . . . Chris Bartlett who I sense dabbles a lot in his own fragrance creating. . .
    Guilty as charged! And I only supply samples of my creations already in sprayers because the prospect of something of mine being contaminated by being poured into a 'pre-loved sprayer' before it's even been smelt fills me with despair.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

Oh well, I have about 100 fragrances to decant and was hoping I could reuse a few bottles. As Dane says - not a cheap hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    Where sprayers are concerned I agree - cleaning them is futile - if they are glass you can get the glass part clean but the plastic parts of the sprayer are near impossible to clean sufficiently. They are cheap if you buy them in quantity anyway: treat them as disposable or keep re-filling with the same fragrance if you are using them as portable rather than testers.
    I've never found anywhere that cheap, I think about 80p a bottle is the best I've found, so if you have any details on reasonable priced atomiser sellers it would be much appreciated!

Nordstrom carries travel size atomizers for $6 USD. Not sure if there is something similar over the pond.

Nothing I know of this side of the water, but I get mine imported from Nemat aka Best Bottles - I buy 100 at a time and they cost under $0.50

They also sell some nice travel atomisers.

I'm willing to sell small numbers to UK folk who can't deal with an order big enough to be worth importing: they are not on my website yet but PM me and I'll give you details if you're interested.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

Question Anyone recycle little spray bottles to decant samples to?

... like the little plastic or glass atomisors you can buy online, between 1.5 and 5 mls, say? If so how do you wash them...rubbing alcohol? Can the plastic ones be washed enough for reuse? I did try one, and it seemed ok, but I am not convinced some residua from the previous scent (which was TdH) was left over. The glass ones seem to be fine with a thorough water rinse. Or do you just toss the plastic ones and use fresh ones (seems like a waste).

Default Re: Anyone recycle little spray bottles to decant samples to?

Toss them. Use a fresh on every time. They are cheap and well worth it.

Good advice, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    I do the same, there fairly cheap and its going to be hard to reuse them since its hard to remove the scent from it. Well you can reuse it if its the same fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

I only re-use them with the same scent.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    Yup, I tried re-using one and it distorted the scent, I even filled the atomizer with water and purged it a few times and the original scent still stuck!!

Would re-using them with the same scent be problematic in any way? I have been musing on purchasing a certain rather fleeting scent, and would like to carry a little decant around in my pocket to re-apply during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Merely View Post
    Would re-using them with the same scent be problematic in any way? I have been musing on purchasing a certain rather fleeting scent, and would like to carry a little decant around in my pocket to re-apply during the day.
    I purchased a bunch of small atomizers so that I can decant every one of my fragrances and carry them with me for a quick spritz every few hours (nothing lasts long on my skin). Have one of Philosykos on me right now (a surprising 60 dregree day in February is the perfect day for it to remind me spring is on the way!). Have never had a problem refilling them with the same fragrance.

Blog Entries

If you plan to refill them with the same fragrance, get the kind with screw-on sprayers instead of snap-on-- they are easier to refill. I like these 3ml ones for that purpose:
    http://store01.prostores.com/servlet...%21/Categories

Thanks for the tip, 30roses.

Really, if some craft-capable type with some skill in metallurgy (silver, etc) and primitive hydraulics opened a store on Etsy offering to make permanent spray bottles (ranging from the tinily pocketable to 30 ml or so) to commission, s/he could possibly make a killing from those on basenotes/fragrantica. I just mention the musing on the offchance that anyone out there is capable of doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Merely View Post
    Thanks for the tip, 30roses.

Really, if some craft-capable type with some skill in metallurgy (silver, etc) and primitive hydraulics opened a store on Etsy offering to make permanent spray bottles (ranging from the tinily pocketable to 30 ml or so) to commission, s/he could possibly make a killing from those on basenotes/fragrantica. I just mention the musing on the offchance that anyone out there is capable of doing it.

I agree that there is simply not enough offerings on the market. If some came up with a reuseable/cleanable would profit.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    I only re-use them with the same scent.
    agree ...

I would never mix scents up in different bottles

Default Best way to clean and reuse an atomizer?

OK, so I have a "favorite" atomizer that I want to reuse but want to make sure it's completely free of the previous scent. I ran some water through it but still has a slight aroma of what was in there. I rubbing alcohol a good thing to use or is there something better?

Default Re: Best way to clean and reuse an atomizer?

if you have vodka on hand try splashing some in and shaking vigorously, pouring it out, then repeating the step once more. Everclear would work even better. Water won't do a thing really, it requires alcohol to rid the previous fragrance.

Basenotes Junkie

I'm interested in this as well. Is there a way to FULLY clean an atomizer?
    The doubt about being able to 100% clean an atomizer is what's keeping me from getting some of the Creed-atomizers for traveling.
    Seeing as I can't really make up my mind about a favorite, I really need to be able clean the atomizers 100%.

Those in the know will never recommend this! But, if you must, it would be best to get everclear and till the bottle. Spray the contents completely out and repeat. Take the nozzle off and soak it after that. Any gaps or nooks and crannies should be cleaned out with everclear on a Q-tip. Clean every thing. Then let the whole thing soak in everclear for a day. Let it dry off and give it the smell test.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

First of all I'd rinse it with an alcohol for few times, then clean it with some hot (or at least really warm water). Hot water will make the pores of glass open which will help to release some trapped molecules of fragrance.

I read that using 100% alcohol will do the trick for the glass part of the atomizer. The plastic inside the sprayer is where the scent might linger.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Those in the know will never recommend this! But, if you must, it would be best to get everclear and till the bottle. Spray the contents completely out and repeat. Take the nozzle off and soak it after that. Any gaps or nooks and crannies should be cleaned out with everclear on a Q-tip. Clean every thing. Then let the whole thing soak in everclear for a day. Let it dry off and give it the smell test.
    Seems like a lot of work, but if it works...

I did this one and was frustrated with how the scent lingered, then I discovered that the scent was lingering in the sprayer top. Cleaning that completely made it "well". Even then, I replace the former fragrance (Terre d'Hermes) with one that was similar (Elixir des Merveilles).
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

So when you guys say alcohol, would rubbing alcohol work?

I have found that rinsing the atomizer bottle and the top in soapy hot water will dissolve the oils and remove the fragrance. Then a second rinse in plain water or perfumers alcohol will finish it up to crystal clarity. Dawn dishwashing liquid which dissolves oils works best, but just a rinse in very hot water with a few drops of liquid hand soap in it will usually do the trick.

If any fragrance persists after that I will drop some perfumers alcohol into the bottle, soak the spray head, shake it up and spray it out. But actually the hot water + dish soap method usually works better than alcohol.

I tried various methods but opted for buying atomizers in bundles. One for each fragrance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    Perfumer's alcohol, everclear, absolute ethanol (lab stuff), or ethanol denatured with an oldorless denaturant would be best. I like perfumer's alcohol - it smells like a "nothing" fragrance. Definitely stay away from methanol - nasty poisonous.

Most American rubbing alcohol is isopropyl alcohol, which is only mildly toxic but undrinkable, and it has its own odor - which is why it's not used in fragrance. Granted, after it evaporates, isopropyl doesn't leave much odor, but a sensitive nose may still smell it a bit, especially with plastic.

I do this on very expensive atomizers, some that I've had for many years:

1. Use soap and water and wash it thoroughly and then let it soak for several hours.

2. Use Denatured Alcohol and wash it again thoroughly and then let soak again for a few hours or so.

3. Rinse thoroughly with water and let dry.

Voila.

I also tried various methods but imo not worth it so i opted for buying new atomizers since there fairly cheap online

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    it will work fine for you. scrub with hot soapy water a fill and spray with alcohol a couple of times.
    CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

I couldn't figure out how to do it easily.
    So I just wash it out with hot water several times and let it dry.

Then I fill the atomiser to a quarter or third its volume with the new scent, and use it relatively quickly. I can't say I've ever actually noticed the old scent when using the partially filled atomiser, but it certainly makes the atomiser smell like the new scent when you give it the final full fill.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    I also tried various methods but imo not worth it so i opted for buying new atomizers since there fairly cheap online
    After reading everyone's opinions and advice, I think this would be best.......!

Default Re-using atomizers?

I probably know the answer to this, but I'll check anyway.

I recently purchased a bunch of samples...and traded for a bunch more. Nearly all of them are in vials, not spray atomizers. I plan on transferring them to sprays, but here's my question: Is there a correct way to clean and re-use (with a different fragrance) a glass atomizer, or is this a big no-no (which is what I'm assuming)?
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Default Re: Re-using atomizers?

I was recently wondering exactly the same thing, for the same reason. I just purchased a bunch of glass atomizers with plastic sprayers, as well as some other plastic decanting supplies (pipettes, funnel). Is it enough to soak them in hot soapy water (which is what I was going to try)? I'm curious to see responses...
    "Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it."
    - Bruce Lee

Blog Entries

The plastic components retain the smell of the previous fragrance.

I've tried cleaning them with 190 proof grain alcohol (a.k.a. Everclear, which is a brand) and even put them through the dishwasher, but this only cleans the glass parts, and the plastic still smells. And that means it can affect the scent of the new fragrance.

Considering that samples can be pricey, when you add them up, and that purchasing decisions you make based on the samples are far costlier, I think it's best to just buy new atomizers. I buy the cheaper ones-- 100 at a time of the 2.5ml plastic ones from Accessories for Fragrances. I believe they have screw-on sprayer 3 ml ones on clearance for about the same price.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 26th August 2012 at 02:52 AM. Reason: clarified that I did not find 190 proof alcohol to work

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Th plastic components retain the smell of the previous fragrance.

....And that means it can affect the scent of the new fragrance.

....I think it's best to just buy new atomizers.
    I concur with the above ↑↑↑.

That's what I expected...just didn't know if anyone had any success (or even tried) to re-use them. Thanks!!
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Try Everclear 150 proof or 190 if you can find it.

Basenotes Junkie

I wouldn't want to contaminate anything I am using for sampling fragrances, but for travel atomizers I reuse them. If it's just some inexpensive designer frag, then I'm not really all that concerned about a tiny bit of cross contamination. It's true that you can never get the smell out of the plastic entirely, but if you rinse the sprayer well with 190 proof alcohol any remaining odor is so diluted that it shouldn't matter much.

I'm glad someone started this thread because I have a question that's kind of on the same topic.

Can you re-use an old perfume bottle for a different scent? Or is this a really bad idea. I ask because some perfume bottles are really pretty and I hate to throw them out when they're empty - esp if they're crystal - , but Im not really sure I can reuse them. If I wash them in hot water and alcolhol - is that enough?

As the people above were saying, glass can be cleaned, plastic will retain some scent. If the bottle is all glass , you can wash them with everclear alcohol a few times, with drying inbetween. If they have a spray mechanism, either the spray is fixed (and so you cannot reuse the bottle), or it is screwed on, in which case you can. You can of course then buy a new spray mechanism.

In general, though, while it is true that a touch of the smell of the previous perfume will remain attached to a bottle, I wouldn't worry too much if the purpose is to consume the perfume rather than collecting. Traces on a relatively big bottle will be swamped by the new juice.

cacio

I would re-use the bottle, not the spray.

Basenotes Junkie

Can you re-use an old perfume bottle for a different scent? Or is this a really bad idea. I ask because some perfume bottles are really pretty and I hate to throw them out when they're empty - esp if they're crystal - , but Im not really sure I can reuse them. If I wash them in hot water and alcolhol - is that enough?
    I think with most bottles the problem is getting the sprayer off without destroying it.

When the decant atomizers have a screw off atomizer, then just wash it with water/soap, then fill it like half way with water and spray till it's empty to clean the hose and spray mechanism. Never had any problem with the result.

When using eg. a Travalo that needs to be cleaned, I always fill a little empty screw off atomizer, (a 7m) fill it with water, unscrew the spray nozzle, fill the Travalo with water (the pumping way) and spray it empty and repeat that if necessary till all previous scent smell has gone and then fill it with the new juice! Works with me also perfect and does not take that much time.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - YSL: Opium Pour Homme Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

I reuse atomisers, but I'm mainly filling them from big splash bottles of either EDT or aftershave splash..
    So when I change a scent I fill a third to half of the atomiser with the new scent and use it up relatively quickly - I can't really smell the old scent when I then spray it.
    On the next full refill of the atomiser, I can't smell the old scent in it.

Of course, this won't be helpful with your vials. I suggest you get a used atomiser, wash it with hot water, let it dry, and then fill or half it with a scent you have a big bottle of. Then compare the spray from the atomiser to that from the big bottle. You'll then have an idea as to whether you'll be happy with your proposed course of action.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 26th August 2012 at 07:39 PM.

I would only reuse an atomizer if it is for the same fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    I would only reuse an atomizer if it is for the same fragrance.
    +1. Only 1 fragrance for same atomizer.