Code of Conduct

Default Similar to Ambre Fetiche?

I am wearing Annick Goutal's Ambre Fetiche today. Well, I own it and it is the first time I have reached for it all year. I love the drydown, but am less fond of the opening.

SO... anything similar to Ambre Fetiche out there?

Default Re: Similar to Ambre Fetiche?

Ambre 114 and Ambre Sultan are both in the same league and, though the opening for Sultan may not work for you either so I'd try Ambre 114 (HdP) first. You can get 6 2ml samples for $10 (free shipping) from their site - great way to test it and some of their other scents out.

Have all three and while I agree that Ambre 114 shares some vague similarities with the one in question, to me they're all quite different but equally pleasant.

Banned

perhaps, Cuir Beluga by Guerlain ... see JamieB's interesting, comparative reviews contained therein: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/218...e-F%C3%A9tiche

the only one I can think of that's got that similar leathery-smokey amber finish is LDDM... I could be off on that one though.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Ambre Les Nombres d' Or by Mona Di Orio has some similarities to Ambre Fetiche. Ambre Fetiche smells much more of ambergris in the opening than the Mona scent does, but I like Mona Les Nombres d' Or Ambre better.

There is also a distant kinship with By Killians Amber Oud. I guess it is the smokiness that I find similar in them. The Killian Amber is softer and also is a better fragrance, imo.

Unfortunately both Killian's and Mona di Orio's Ambre scents are on a different plane when it comes to price. They are very precious indeed! This is sad because very few will be able to enjoy them - both are very nice.

The latest Armani - Cuir Noir is very similar.

for swap/sale:

Ambre 114.

Ambre 114 is lovely but it lacks the oozy and gloomy characteristic of the resins in AF.

for swap/sale:

Thanks everyone for your comments. You have given me several new options to try.

To me, the drydown of Amber Fetiche is what Master-Classter describes: leathery-smoky amber. As to the ones I have tried mentioned above, Ambre Sultan comes across as a spicy sweetened amber and Ambre 114 comes across as a dry amber; neither of which have a leathery character to me (but quite good in their own right). I will try the others as best I can! Thanks again!

I have to add that Cuir Noir starts out similar to Amber Fetiche but a couple of hours into it the resins stoop down and rose and amber emerge.

for swap/sale:

It's that birch tar like in Tuscan Leather or Cuir de Russie... maybe Amber Absolute?

I like Amber and have a bottle of Fetiche because I didn't really find anything else quite like it (which is not to say it isn't out there)
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads