Code of Conduct

Default Don't judge a fragrance until you completed a full wear... Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan

The first time I sampled Ambre Sultan, I only applied it on my wrist and sniffed it, and thought to myself it wasn't for me, because it has this weird Chinese herbal medicines opening vibe, and too weird for me.... today I decided to do a full wear of Ambre Sultan, and let me tell you, I turned 180 degree on this one... the opening is still kind of weird, but the mid-dry down and dry down was just awesome... the herbal note toned down and there is this semi-sweet vanilla and dirty musky scent like Muscs Koublai Khan that started to kick in... very pleasant to the nose and very unique... Ambre Sultan you are now on my to buy list.... don't judge a fragrance until you completed a full wear... you may be missing out on something great!!!
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Don't judge a fragrance until you completed a full wear... Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan

Great insight! This is definitely on my to try list

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Don't judge a fragrance until you completed a full wear... Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan

Absolutely, that is my MO. YOu really have to wear these frags before you judge them.

For those who are sitting on the fence about buying a fragrance - good point.

I just placed an order of Ambre Sultan on fragrance.net for $81.75 with free shipping....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Post Thanks / Like

I've said this numerous times.

A perfume smelled by raising your arm/wrist to your nose smells contrasting to when worn by spraying.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

no shit
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

How a fragrance smells in sillage (& therefore to others) also differs from how it performs with the nose close to the skin. Those who overanalyze their fragrances tend to miss this point.

Post Thanks / Like

I have found it takes several wears to really understand a good fragrance. A lot of BN reviews allude to this. I haven't found test strips all that useful though often that is the best you can do.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had this same process happen to me several times now, where a fragrance I dislike after sticking my nose right into it repeatedly for an hour is one I finally come around to and really like after giving it a full, normal wear (i.e., on my chest, not up in my nose, and in the space of a day). Ambre Sultan, Gucci pour Homme, Comme des Garçons 2, and Dior Homme are all examples of this for me. I've been wearing GpH today for a second full wearing and honestly it's amazing I was so quick to dismiss it as dusty and nothing else before. Now I'm finding it strangely delicious and very alluring. So, yes. Never judge a fragrance by its test strip up-the-nose cover.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that one should not base a decision only on the top notes, unless they are so replusive as to end any hopes of finding a redeeming quality.
    That said, in your case, you did, in fact, find the fragrance to your liking. However, some folks think the top notes are representative of the fragrance, and buy it on that basis, which is risky to say the least.
    A full wearing, indeed, is needed to judge the worth of a fragrance.

this is very true. usually i try not to judge a fragrance until after a few wears if I have any sort of a reaction at all.

If it doesn't provoke any reaction in me I just leave it. But usually my favorite scents made me feel surprised and uncertain when i tried them

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with many of the previous comments, especially "Burgundymarsh" and "Diamondflame".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    How a fragrance smells in sillage (& therefore to others) also differs from how it performs with the nose close to the skin. Those who overanalyze their fragrances tend to miss this point.
    Hmm. So how DO you test a fragrance? Get a guinea pig to wear it for you? Perhaps the stores should have "fragrance models" walking around with various brands on them...

Best way I can put Ambre Sultan is that it is a very raw fragrance... You have to cook it on your skin until it's ready to be eaten...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

Post Thanks / Like

and then there's me who hated all of it and the headache it gave me...the herbal part is just too much for me

Post Thanks / Like

Though I do agree with you, I feel that a really good frag shouldn't turn you off at any point in its development.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am wearing it today and I like it (as always). But I have only worn it as a "dabber". I need to try spraying it on.