Code of Conduct

Default Recommend me a light, understated, natural and unique men's fragrance!

Hey guys,

I've been perusing the forums for a while now and I just want to see if I can get some advice from you guys who have experience in this. As I said in the title I'm looking for a light and natural fragrance which is also unique and has a tinge of 'character' to it, and would catch the attention of females ;D. Generally, I don't like the idea and smell of fragrances and have always found them overpowering and a turn off, that's why I want a 'background' scent that is nice and natural. I went perfume shopping three times over the last week and found that almost all fragrances were 'too strong/overwhelming'. I plan to wear this everyday so I don't think I'd be able to bear these overwhelming fragrances. My favourite was Marc Jacobs by Marc Jacobs, it was classy and not too overpowering, but reviews here have suggested that it has bad longevity. Perhaps someone can recommend me something that I may like? Note that I am a student and my budget is not too high, however I would probably get one of the creed fragrances in 6 months of so.
    Last edited by inthemiddle; 9th April 2012 at 06:23 AM.

Default Re: Recommend me a light, understated, natural and unique men's fragrance!

Burberry London

Default Re: Recommend me a light, understated, natural and unique men's fragrance!

Most fragrances are overpowering when you spray, but most tone down a bit after the first few minutes. You can also spray lightly and on skin that's going to be covered by clothes, which will diminsh projection.

That said, light but relatively persistent frags are Terre d'Hermes (citrus with a flinty feel) and Voyage d'Hermes (slightly peppery, flinty). Terre d'Hermes is extremely common in Europe, less so here in the US. Eau Sauvage by Dior (also citrus) was also a reference, but I think more recent versions are not persistent.

I am not a fan of Creed - so I'd hold off indefinitely and spend the money elsewhere. But this is just my taste, many people around here love Creed.

cacio

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

double post
    Last edited by autumngleeman; 9th April 2012 at 03:59 AM.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

I have never tried Marc Jacobs. And I apologize that my suggestions are a challenge for a student on a budget; niche is more or less all that I own. But you did mention possibly buying Creed.

Looking over my collection, I do have a few suggestions that might match your needs, price aside. First, I'd like to suggest Hermes Santal Massoia, from their Hermessence line. It is very understated and hangs in the background as you wear it, but it's also natural and unique, in my opinion anyway. Milk, sandalwood, massoia, dried fruit...those are the listed notes that I smell. Regardless of how much you apply, you'll never manage to smell as if you overapplied. It's just the nature of the scent to be soft.

From Amouage I personally think both Memoir man and Honour man are very unique smelling and, in contrast to the strength of Amouage's other offerings, are surprisingly soft and subdued. A light application will especially keep them understated. Memoir man is a complex woods and herbs scent (basil and mint) with incense, pipe tobacco, and a beautiful wormwood accord (i.e. absynthe) with so many other interesting notes involved I wouldn't even bother listing them here because it almost can't be believed. You can obtain a list of notes from a lot of places; suffice it here for me to say that in the end, the composition smells great and unique and bears little resemblance to much else on the market. Honour man also smells unique to me. It consists of various peppers, nutmeg, elemi, incense and other goodies. It glows and pulses in a soft way, like soft light, but it is persistent and has good longevity for the the soft, glowing nature of the projection. I love it and I always get compliments about how wonderful and unique it smells.

A final suggestion would be Opus 1870. It smells so very classically late nineteenth century English. Very unmodern but still very wearable. It is a very soft slightly spicy incense rose chypre. As I have mentioned in my review for this scent, there is something almost watery in the interplay between the incense and rose. I catch that quality every time I wear it and I like it. The notes might not suggest anything very unique certainly, but the sum really is greater than the parts with Opus 1870. Anyway, those are few suggestions that immediately sprang to mind. As usual, sample before you buy. I hope this helps.

+1 for Opus 1870

I'd also recommend Divine L'homme de Coeur.
    I think it's the best iris-based masculine fragrance on the market,
    better than bottles such as MPG's Iris Bleu Gris and Dior Homme.

It's very clean, refined and understated, and I can't imagine
    a situation or setting in which it wouldn't be appropriate.
    Check out some of the reviews in the directory and see what you think.
    I think it would suit your needs very nicely.

And, if price is an issue, you can always get a large decant.
    I was able to get a 30ml decant from the Perfumed Court for $55
    including shipping, and it's well worth it IMO.

That's a better deal than $125 for 50ml, which is it's normal retail price.

Many good examples above.
    I recommend anything by Olivia Giacobetti. Her motif is considered light and natural.

for swap/sale:

Banned

Infusion d'Homme by Prada - an enchanting soapy and clean vibe ... the refreshing citrus opening, wherein the neroli and mandarin notes interplay wonderfully, yields to an intriguing heart, with its vetiver, iris, galbanum and cedar cocktail, majestically carrying to the squeaky-clean base of benzoin and frankincense .... decent longevity and projection ...

&

Try Must de Cartier pour Homme or its flanker Essence de Must de Cartier pour Homme: they're both light, understated, close to the skin, unique and not too pricey...!

MFK Luminer Noire.

Kiton Men.
    Renato

Guerlain - L'instant pour Homme EDP - Classy, masculine and yet playful

Voyage D'Hermes EDP - Simple, elegant, pleasant and uplifting.

IMO these 2 are reasonably priced, and they both deliver quality and elegance.

Cartier Roadster and Guy Laroche Horizon

bvlgari pour homme
    Seasonal favorites :

Winter : The Dreamer & Burberry London & La Nuit de L'Homme
    Spring-Autumn : Aqua Fahrenheit & Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Summer : Bvlgari Extreme & Bvlgari Aqva & Bvlgari Aqva Marine
    All-Rounders : Terre D'Hermes & Bleu de Chanel

Indispensible : The Dreamer & Bvlgari Extreme & Bvlgari Pour Homme & Bvlgari Aqva

Marc Jacobs is a good scent and lasts just fine for me, at least 6 hours or more, usually more and lasts through the work day for me. I like this in the spring and it is pretty different from most designer fragrances, not well known and not used by many people. A good one and a Fifi award winner. If you like it, get it, you won't be disappointed!
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Here are some you might want to check out...

Mark Birley For Men
    Geranium Pour Monsieur
    Heeley's Figuier
    L'Eau Guerriere
    Comme Des Garcons Standard
    Comme Des Garcons Play

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

+1 for Infusion d'Homme by Prada. Clean, light, interesting, and not ridiculously expensive.

Also would highly recommend New York by Nicolai. Classic citrusy woody and elegant, but not a projection bomb.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by inthemiddle View Post
    ... light and natural fragrance...
    Burt's Bees Natural Cologne is a good one. Long-lasting in its understated way.

Welcome to Basenotes!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Midnight in paris.

tdh

You must find what types of fragrances you are most attracted to. These all meet your criteria imo:

Fresh citrus - Guerlain Homme L'eau
    Bitter citrus - Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte
    Citrus cyphre - Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Herbal citrus - Acqua di Parma Colonia/Assoluta/Intensa
    Ivory soap - Prada Infusion d'Homme
    Green soap - Creed Original Vetiver
    Vetiver/earthy - Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Marine - Bvlgari Aqva
    Starched shirt - Gendarme

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Many good examples above.
    I recommend anything by Olivia Giacobetti. Her motif is considered light and natural.
    Hedonist, I agree. Try Tillieul by Parfums D'Orsay. Don't believe the marketing hype on the company and the French nobleman who supposedly made perfume as it's pure hype and well-documented in the marketing history, but Tillieul is a wonderful lime/citrus.

Another choice is Bigelow Lemon and Orange Blossom No. 1806 in the eau de parfum.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    MFK Luminer Noire.
    +1 This.

Prada Infusion D'Vetiver or Mugler Cologne. Both, to me, fit all points you asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by el_payo View Post
    bvlgari pour homme
    This one! And +1 for Prada Infusion d'homme

Diptyque Philosykos
    Creed Windsor

Wow, thanks so much guys, this is quite a list and I am excited to try them all out at the fragrance store. It seems like there are a few options that were mentioned a couple of times and I am looking forward to trying those.

Kenzo Air

Voyage by Hermes

Welcome

From above list, i'd +1 Bvlgari PH (VERY understated, clean, mellow) and Mugler Cologne (not quite "natural," but light and good longevity without being cloying or overpowering).

I love Santal Massoia though it's a bit pricier, and I'd also recommend Penhaligon's "Blenheim Bouquet" as it's a a very natural-ish woody lemon scent. Other Penhaligon's might also suit your tastes. Happy hunting!

Most of the Bulgaris will work (see them in the Directory for one that suits you), and I'll definitely +1 the Prada Infusion D'Homme (settles into a fresh Dove-soap kind of smell that lasts 10+ hours on me), and one that I've really been digging lately is Geir Ness. Just go easy on it, it's strong, but if lightly applied, is fresh and pleasant.

Instinct by David Beckham- a fresh citrus/vetiver that won't offend anyone, smells nice, and is really inexpensive

Angeliques Sous La Pluie by Editions de Parfums
    Castile by Penhaligons

Gucci PH II

Very good suggestions all round. +1 on Bulgari pour Homme, Prada Infuson de Homme, PdN New York, Kenzo Air & the MFKs ( LMNH, APOM, CPLM, CPLS). But here's a tip: by applying only 1 or 2 spray(s) under the shirt, you can turn ANY fragrance into a light and understated fragrance.

Thanks alot for the replies guys, I will make a trip to the perfume store soon!

Dior Homme

Banned

Un Jardin En Méediterranée and Eau de Cartier.