Code of Conduct

Default Outdated, cloying men's frafs that smell like coughdrops and should be avoided by ANYONE who ---

Has a phobia towards masculine elegance.

FRAFS? Ok, Frags.

For me:

1. Egoiste
    2. Royal English Leather
    3. Dunhill for men ( 1934 EDC)
    4. Givenchy Gentleman (GOT to be vintage, the new is gone in 5 minutes.)
    5. Antaeus
    6. Habit Rouge (preferably vintage)
    7. Cacharel Pour l'Homme

OK, that's my " Sacred Seven "

---Since no one in his right mind would ascribe the adjectives of 'cloying' or 'cough drops' to Patou Pour Homme, Macassar, or Vintage Tabarome--I've excluded them from this list---

So, What's your ' Sacred Seven' ? Or 8? Or 9 and a half?

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 9th April 2012 at 03:48 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Default Re: Outdated, cloying men's frafs that smell like coughdrops and should be avoided by ANYONE who ---

What is a fraf?

Default Re: Outdated, cloying men's frafs that smell like coughdrops and should be avoided by ANYONE who ---

I think he meant frags short for fragrances.

i dont get it, do you like all of these or not??
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Both Egoiste and Antaeus also GOT to be vintage, as new also are gone in 5-10 mins, at least on my skin.

Regards, Odor.

I have no idea what this means lol. Are you saying that you think these seven are outdated and smell like cough drops? If so, how are they sacred? And what are any of the ones you mention on the bottom?

I think he likes them? But they don't smell like cough drops?

...I think Super Mario here has taken the wrong coughdrops this morning...??

Banned

someone had one too many margaritas ...

Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post
    What is a fraf?
    A typo.
    My Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    i dont get it, do you like all of these or not??
    Yes, They are classics and deservedly so.

Unfortunately (?) they are somewhat sweet and one of the reproaches that is often given against these types of fragrances is that they are cloying.

A rather strange reproach-- I'd have to assume the critic has not smelled Joop! (or worse) Another is " They remind me of cough drops or cough syrup"---a staple if not very helpful criticism on the reviews section.
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 9th April 2012 at 06:50 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by icanzapyou View Post
    I have no idea what this means lol. Are you saying that you think these seven are outdated and smell like cough drops? If so, how are they sacred? And what are any of the ones you mention on the bottom?
    As to your first sentence, I doubt you ever will. Oh yeah. lol.

As to the second, look up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony

As to the third, I'm sorry but I am forbidden to explain why they are sacred to the uninitiated.

However, regarding your last question, I am allowed by The Elders of MENSA to render a hint in the form of a multiple choice question:

The ones at the bottom smell like:

A. Urinal Cakes
    B. Tar being poured on a dusty road
    C. Elegant masculine classics that do NOT smell sweet.
    D. Aqua di Gio--but mercifully less musty than that ancient scent.
    E. 1 1/2 oz tequila,1/2 oz premium triple sec plus 1 oz lime juice

I wish that the answer was E.

I could use about a dozen after all these replies.

Pax,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 9th April 2012 at 07:26 AM.
    My Wardrobe

My favorite in this category is Carroll's Royal Briar. I like it even better than vintage Habit Rouge EDT (although I've never tried the vintage EDC). Royal Briar is sweet, resinous (I mainly smell opoponax), slightly smoky, and subtly floral. I can't explain exactly why but it smells very "1950's" to me. It's also a great bargain. The closest fragrance I have smelled to it is vintage Shalimar EDC.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

I get this vibe, among others, from barbershoppy classics like: Old Spice (preferably vintage), vintage Brut, even Caron pour un Homme etc. - while I do enjoy these scents, there is hardly anyone to perceive them other than cloying, dated etc.

I hate cloying frafs. I don't see what's so SACRED but if it smell like Aqua di Gio it's good for it's not outdated like

Le Malee is good.

Cacharel Pour L'Homme is by far the odd one out in that list. I think it's great in a fairly timeless way and could swing it even with modern aquatics in terms of being pretty easy on the nose. It manages to be substantial without being heavy handed.

Mario, how about Givenchy Xeryus Rouge ?

Outdated ? Well, it is now part of the mythical series. You don't get to join that exclusive group if you are not outdated.

Cloying ? I couldn't stand it on my chest. It gets a bit sweet and just .......yeah, to me, it can be cloying. Yet, somehow smells nice to me and others. Its a strange one

Smells like cough drops ? Of the cherry kind, no less.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Other such whipping-boys include:

PS Fine Cologne
    Lagerfeld Classic
    Grey Flannel

All get roasted and all are greats in the male arsenal, in my opinion.

*BASENOTES SPLITS*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

M7 reminds me of cough drops and I feel it's an outdated smell. Don't know too many other that smell like cough drops. There's a few others that are medicinal though.
    Loewe 7's opening absolutely reminded me of a dentist office/machines, but no cough syrup.
    Musc Ravageur smells very medicinal to me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanm View Post
    Cacharel Pour L'Homme is by far the odd one out in that list. I think it's great in a fairly timeless way and could swing it even with modern aquatics in terms of being pretty easy on the nose. It manages to be substantial without being heavy handed.
    Absolutely, this is hidden gem.