Code of Conduct

Default The list of oils I want to get and concoct something with

Ok. Here is the list of oils I would like to get so far if we can manage it.
    Bergamot
    Copaiba and Gurjan Balsam
    Cypress
    Atlas Cedarwood
    Labdanum
    Vetiver
    Lavender
    Amyris
    Sandalwood (eventually) cost has gone up on the Vanuatu type
    Frankincense
    Opoponax
    Myrhh (maybe)
    Neroli (eventually-but probably not for awhile)
    Juniper Berry
    marjoram
    palmarosa
    petigrain
    patchouli
    rosewood
    llang lang
    mastic (eventually)
    Not sure how long it will take to get all these. Of course the more expensive ones will have to wait. I am also getting a bottle of cassia but am not sure what I am going to do with it. If you have any suggestions, advice, or just fun comments please feel free to comment. I am not sure what we will come up with.

Default Re: The list of oils I want to get and concoct something with

Good luck with that. Some great stuff in there. Just a couple of observations: only one citrus (bergamot)? Make sure you get the opoponax absolute and dissolve it at 50% in ethanol, not the essential oil (two very different beasts), eventually you'll be wanting some vanilla and benzoin

Trufflehunter, thank you for the response. I am not sure what other oils I will be wanting. There are some florals I really want but can't afford lol. I am not even sure how many of the above ones I will get or what is the best to start out with since I am basically just going by the oil descriptions. Thank you for the advice on the opoponax. I am wondering what kind of other oils would go good with a woodsy scent. Peace.

If anyone has any suggestions for a good beginners list that may include some of the oils I have listed or some other ones that are not too expensive that would be great too. The only oils I am familiar with are ylang ylang, rosewood, lavender, peru balsam, fir balsam, patchouli, sweet orange, sweet birch, and peppermint.
    Last edited by Starsoflight; 10th April 2012 at 04:23 AM.

Your list is not at all a bad one. Somewhere there is a thread with some other suggestions that Iíll add here if I can find it, but one thought that struck me reading yours was that if youíre struggling to afford neroli, you might try using green mandarin instead - it isnít the same but has some similar characteristics and is quite a lot cheaper.

If you use that with petitgrain and your bergamot to blend the citrus and woods you should get a good effect after a bit of practice getting the blend right.
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Thank you Chris! It is good to know that my list is halfway decent. I will have to look around for
    the green mandarin. I appreciate the advice. I am really hoping to get some sandalwood for sure but
    that is another one that might be a bit. I so hope I can get the oils soon. i was also thinking of using some of the aromachemical bases from Perfumer's apprentice like the synthetic sandalwood base, some aloeswood or black agar, etc. PEACE

Good idea. I donít have the PA sandalwood accord myself but I have several of their others and they are good and often cheaper than the equivalent naturals. The sandalwood replacers I use are Ebanol, Javanol and Santaliff (PA stock the first two I think).
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Even though I am by no means ready to learn about all of the chemicals, I thought using the blends and bases might really help, especially since I will never ever be able to afford oud. I really want the dewberry one, it sounds awesome. I am going by how things sound before how they smell, even though I have been reading the single note exploration threads. Chris thanks again. Peace