Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Diptyque Philosykos For World Peace!!!

About a two weeks ago, out of curiosity, I purchased a small 2.5 mL decant of Diptyque Philosykos from The Posh Peasant. I decided that I would let my father try it out because he's also a fragrance fanatic/collector.

He sprayed it and smelled it. He then developed a strange expression on his face. I didn't know if he liked it or not. He then took a few more sniffs and told me that it reminded him of his childhood. He said it brought him back to the days when he was 6 years old and would climb the fruit trees in the orchard of his family's farm right behind his house. Diptyque Philosykos literally brought tears to his eyes because the aroma was so realistic and reminiscent to him. I'd previously never seen him react in such a way toward another fragrance. I think Diptyque Philosykos might just be his new favorite cologne!

He also said that Diptyque Philosykos put him in a very deep state of peace. He said, "They should create a large, nonlethal, bomb out of Diptyque Philosykos and drop it in the Middle East. If they do that, all of the wars would stop and everyone would hug each other and be happy!"

When I get some more money, I'll be purchasing a brand new 100 mL bottle of Diptyque Philosykos for myself. I was raised in a metropolis, so I'm not very familiar with how an orchard smells, but I could see the sincerity in my father's visage. All I know is that whenever I wear Diptyque Philosykos, like my father, it places me in a deep state of peace. When I first wore it, I began to laugh uncontrollably. It made me forget about all of the sorrow in my life. It gave me an increased feeling of confidence, artificial happiness, and invincibility. All I hope is that Diptyque Philosykos will NEVER be discontinued. I've officially placed it in my top three fragrances out of the 20+ that I currently own and many more that I've tested/sampled.

Diptyque Philosykos for WORLD PEACE!!!

Default Re: Diptyque Philosykos For World Peace!!!

Very nice anecdote. I also love the stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah...let's start in Greece itself...!

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice story, and I'll agree there's something very special about Philosykos.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this scent as the weather gets warmer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    Yeah...let's start in Greece itself...!
    Amen to that my brother!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

It is somewhat amazing on how a fragrance can, indeed, create an illusion. I am glad your father and yourself have found a fragrance that can transport you to another place.
    But, that illusion may not necessarily be enough to abate the bloodthirsty barbarians in Western Asia.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    It is somewhat amazing on how a fragrance can, indeed, create an illusion. I am glad your father and yourself have found a fragrance that can transport you to another place.
    But, that illusion may not necessarily be enough to abate the bloodthirsty barbarians in Western Asia.
    A lot of people in the Middle East do like the smell of roses. Maybe if we threw a rose note in there it would have a stronger effect

P.S. I personally don't like the smell of roses.

Great stuff!
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Post Thanks / Like

Olivia Giacobetti is probably one of the ten best perfumers alive.

Olivia Giacobetti.jpg
    Last edited by pluran; 10th April 2012 at 09:07 AM.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A masterpiece!

Post Thanks / Like

this is one of the first niche fragrances I ever bought. It changed my view of what 'cologne' could be, and 4 years later I'm still following Giacobetti's work.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

This stuff is really excellent. I bought this for my mom's birthday for the spring/summer - she loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Olivia Giacobetti is probably one of the ten best perfumers alive.

Olivia Giacobetti.jpg
    I agree.
    She's easy on the eyes too.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    I agree.
    She's easy on the eyes too.
    Haha! I know! She should include a picture of herself with every bottle of cologne/perfume that was created by her!

Post Thanks / Like

You have intrigued me. I will be getting a decant of this. Thank you for sharing your story with us. In this mixed up, disillusioning world, there is something deeply calming about the redentigration (sp) power of fragrances.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by pluran; 23rd April 2012 at 02:24 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh what a nice story!
    Thanks for sharing it with us.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, everybody!
    I just found a really good deal on eBay.
    Some guy (or girl) was selling a 99% full 100mL bottle of Diptyque Philosykos with a brand new (unopened) bottle of the Philosykos Perfume Oil Roll-on for a total of $99.99 + $8.95 for shipping and handling! I HAD to buy it because that's like the best deal ever! I can't wait for it to arrive! The Philosykos Perfume Oil Roll-on normally costs $55.00 (+ tax and shipping) by itself! I've never tried a perfume oil before, so this will be a new experience for me. Maybe I'll try layering it on top of the Eau de Toilette. Don't worry... I'll also try the perfume oil alone.

In a few days, I will smell like a midnight moonlit rainbow that was created by the tears of happiness that fell from the eyes Zeus himself

Post Thanks / Like

I think Philosykos is maybe the most realistic smelling fragrance out there. Upon first whiff, I couldn't believe what I was smelling. Unfortunately the earthy notes make me a little nauseous. I really want to love it, but for now I prefer Ferragamo Pour Homme because it's sweeter and the fig note is not so in your face. I'm gonna continue testing Philosykos out though as I felt the same about Terre d'Hermes and now like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erok32 View Post
    I think Philosykos is maybe the most realistic smelling fragrance out there. Upon first whiff, I couldn't believe what I was smelling. Unfortunately the earthy notes make me a little nauseous. I really want to love it, but for now I prefer Ferragamo Pour Homme because it's sweeter and the fig note is not so in your face. I'm gonna continue testing Philosykos out though as I felt the same about Terre d'Hermes and now like it.
    I understand what you mean, Man. I wasn't a big fan of the top notes at first, but now I've gotten used to it. What initially made me fall in love with Philosykos is the sweet/creamy smell that it quickly evolves into while it's on my skin. I just couldn't get enough of it. The earthy top notes were still there, but they were FAR in the background and barely noticeable.

I'm actually wearing Philosykos right now I've been testing out the Philosykos Perfume Oil, but I hate it. It doesn't evolve as quickly or as nicely as the actual eau de toilette. It also has no projection, whatsoever! It doesn't even stay close to the skin; it stays ON the skin! I'm so glad I didn't have to pay for that Philosykos Perfume Oil. The roller-ball applicator isn't so great either. It's like I have to fight with it in order to get it to work. Then when it does work, it dispenses way too much of the oil. The perfume oil was a great idea, but I think they went about it completely in the wrong way.

I think I'm already developing an olfactory fatigue with this Philosykos eau de toilette. This saddens me because now I can't experience the forever-changing aroma that I did when I first started wearing this stuff a few weeks ago. I feel like I'm missing my favorite phases of the fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slesperado View Post

He also said that Diptyque Philosykos put him in a very deep state of peace. He said, "They should create a large, nonlethal, bomb out of Diptyque Philosykos and drop it in the Middle East. If they do that, all of the wars would stop and everyone would hug each other and be happy!"
    An interesting and welcoming thought.
    Make Love, Not War

I love this frag too and thinking of getting this one day.
    How's the projection and longevity on this one?

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firz84 View Post
    Projection isn't the best, but I don't like my scents to project too loudly. Longevity, I spray 3 sprays, 1 to each side of the neck and 1 on my shirt and it will last me all day, it does become more of a skin scent, but again, I kinda like it that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firz84 View Post
    An interesting and welcoming thought.
    Make Love, Not War

The projection is amazing for the first 4 hours. People will definitely notice it. After that, it gets kind of close to the skin, and only the people that are near you will notice it.

The longevity is also amazing! I get about 9 hours on my skin. The only problem with this fragrance is that it causes its wearer to develop olfactory fatigue. I know after a couple of weeks of wearing Diptyque Philosykos, I wasn't able to smell it two hours after application, which was disappointing because I really wanted to enjoy the smooth transitions that it has. The first time I wore it, I smelled it strongly for the 9-hour period, and that was out of a 2.5 mL decant sprayer application.

Just to warn you... The perfume oil for Philosykos doesn't project at all, but it does have great sillage.

Nice story but world peace is an eutopian illusion. Mother nature is cruel and so are humans. Period.

Post Thanks / Like

Though I agree with this frag being a perfect candidate... its effects would only last about two hours, and the ensuing chaos is not worth the risk IMO. :P
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I need to try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff, and nice story! You can get a relatively large oil-based roll-on for like $45-50, and that will last you as long as a 100 ml bottle I'm sure.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

It is a safe blind buy? What would you choose between Philosykos 100ml and Allure Homme Sport 150ml?

Thanks.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dab View Post
    It is a safe blind buy? What would you choose between Philosykos 100ml and Allure Homme Sport 150ml?

Thanks.
    I, personally, would choose Philosykos over Allure Homme Sport...hands down!! I don't know how safe of a blind buy it would be. It is very different. This is a very natural scent. It seriously smells like you've spent time outside in a Fig Orchard. You smell the fresh air, the figs with the fig leaves and branches. I love the stuff!! It is extremely different than a lot of frags out there. When I first smelled it it was completely different from what I expected. I've smelled quite a few frags with fig in them, but all those frags had a sweet kind of candied fig note to them, this one is all about the natural smell. I would say it smells more like fig leaves more than just the fig fruit itself, and it has a creaminess to it also. Again, I love this scent, just know what you are getting in to, you might be totally surprised by it on a blind buy...although I think you would be pleasantly surprised!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a sample of Gucci by Gucci Sport, I like the fig notes from it. Is the only fragrance I smelled and contains notes of fig.

Post Thanks / Like

Your wonderful story inspired me to go out and try Philosykos at Bloomingdale's. Expecting nature and bliss, I instead found a strong unpleasant note I can only describe as "plastic" that seemed to dominate the fragrance. Apparently it does not produce miracles for everyone.