Code of Conduct

Default suitable perfume for dinner out in a Red Dress?

I am going out for dinner tonight with my husband and two other couples. It is a while since we've been out and I am wearing a red dress, red shoes and I would like to know what perfume would you consider perfect for this occasion? I have Coco, Coco Mademoiselle, Chanel No.5, Parisienne, Tresor in Love, Miss Dior Originale, Prada Amber, Chloe, Jo Malone Red Roses, Jo Malone Wild Bluebell, and Beyond Paradise by EL. Which of these would you wear if you were me? Oh and Pomegranite Noir by Jo Malone.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: suitable perfume for dinner out in a Red Dress?

I am so pleased to see the Miss Dior Originale in the list. Reading the thread title my thoughts were immediately "Needs something structured and austere as an interesting counterpoint to the lovely hot blooded outfit" and lo and behold there appeared MDO.

Goes well with food too

Post Thanks / Like

I love to wear Coco with something dramatic, but lightly on the spritz. Too much can overpower good food. Just enough can be like a good red cab wine and add to the experience. It will also make you spell divine and mysterious.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Prada Amber

thank you all very much for your suggestions. In all fairness, you picked my favourite three. Miss Dior Originale is actually a bottle of Miss Dior that I have for about five years, and it is kept in the dark and only taken out for special occasions. I am seriously thinking this is the one, although Coco is my husband's choice. I just want the night to be perfect as it is my darling hubby's birthday and his friends and wives are taking us out, and I want to be extra special for the occasion. I don't know where we are going, but have high hopes. i would have like to have bought something new for the occasion, Vol de Nuit, is next on my list, but have too much to justify a new bottle. Sometimes you Can have too much of a good thing. We don't go out much at the moment, and a night out is a BIG THING to me. Can't wait.

KarmaLee, I LOVE Cab Sauv and WILL be having that tonight!!!

Post Thanks / Like

What did you wear? I would have gone for the Prada, too. Whatever you wore, I’m sure you looked and smelled beautiful, and I hope you had a nice time!

I would choose Chanel No. 5, but what did you wear?

You must have been dazzling!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, do let us know about the perfume, the wine (oily, dark rich cab I hope!), the food, the dress!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

Post Re: suitable perfume for dinner out in a Red Dress?

Sorry I never got back to you all with my reply!!!! I wore the Chanel Coco in the end, the red dress, with red velvet heels, which crippled me, but looked lovely. I had steak for dinner, with pepper sauce, and drank the most delicious Tempranillo red wine. We had a lovely night, which sticks in my mind, cos it was darling hubby's birthday. Tonight we are going out again, with a single woman friend, who just ooozes glamour (she is an older lady, former ballet dancer) and I am again in a tizzy about being "just right". My Coco is, alas, all gone, and hasn't yet been replaced. I am going to wear a black embroidered see-through number with a black slip to cover my modesty, and a black "tuxedo" style cardigan. I was thinking of Mitsouko tonight, or the Prada Amber. I have also acquired through a present recently, Jo Malone Nutmeg and Ginger, would this be too "gourmand" to wear? I just love all this planning!!!! and love to hear the Basenoters opinions. I wouldn't be too bothered only that our dinner companion is so glamourous and always gets it perfect. She wears flowing dresses and too big jewellery but always looks so stylish and smells divine. Why is it that former ballet dancers are so regal. Are they thought all of this whilst learning to dance? All the exercises bode well for them in later life, as she has great poise. She will probably wear some exotic perfume she bought on one of her many trips to Paris, where she goes to the ballet, darling! and the museums. Why she is single I don't know, but she has a mysterious quality about her, and single hood seems to suit her. Am I going on or what????

No, you're not "going on" too much, this is really interesting! I love to learn how others plan these things. I do too. My choice for the above would be Ta'if or Shem el Nessim. I wouldn't go too gourmand, as it might confuse things when the food appears.

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I am glad I stopped in on this thread. csarina, tell us all any time you like.

As to ballerinas: I played in a ballet orchestra for 20 years, played piano for class, took a little class, went to the ballet whenever in NYC. Thing is this: a dancer lives in front of a mirror. They know what they look like, and they know how to get looked at. It's their job. The beauty of a dancer, IMO, is in her carriage, especially the épaulment, the floating alignment of shoulders, neck, head, and gaze. One instructor would tell us "show your jewels to the balcony", i.e. chest opened up with elongated neck and arms framing it all. Now that I think of it, when in NYC, I am pretty good at spotting retired dancers, they never have that "all-American" habit of walking with head down and thrust forward, feet stomping, always in a rush to get somewhere at the expense of enjoying the walk. Now I am wondering, do we have any dancers here on BN?
    Last edited by jujy54; 31st July 2012 at 03:03 AM.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

I think a red dress signifies classic glamour - which to me, calls for First, by Van Cleefe and Arpels - it's so glamourous - it's like a 50's Hollywood siren swhooshed through the room. If not First, (it is blackcurrant and florals), then Chanel Premier (like #5 but lighter while still being oh-so-Chanel and elegant). There is timeless Misouko.
    A red dress is glamour so it depends if you want to match perfume to dress and occasion or to yourself - in a 'red dress mood'. It could go either way.
    I like Jean Paul Gaultier lately (sweet and sexy) but to me, it's too romantic/sexy to wear with a red dress - which calls for a bit more sophisticated (vs. romantic) occasion scent. Anything by Dior would also work (but not Diorissimo). Also something with roses in it - try Goutal.

Coco
    Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?