Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Traditional Eau de Cologne

Just wanted to update with what I ended up with. My choice actually came from just a matter of finding a ridiculous deal on Neroli Portofino (cheaper than the Chanel) It was one I was wanting to try anyways, and if it doesn't hit the spot I figure I won't be taking a loss. A big plus on pulling the trigger was the longevity I've heard. Anyways, hopefully it turns out great, it was a blind buy

Fascinating thread.

I am on the lookout for the "perfect" summer 2013 cologne myself - it's a little early, I know. I want something both simple and sophisticated, neither uniflore nor complicated, heavy basenotes, as close to natural perfume smelling as possible. (Yet, if I wanted pure essential oils I could do that myself.) I am ready to shell out about $100 bucks, if I am extremely happy with the product.

I like Cologne Sologne, more neroli than citrus peel, but it is weak indeed. (On the other hand, the price is right - $40 for the quality, pas mal.)

I liked Eau d'Hadrien, the original, a tad too grapefruity for me. Eau d'Orange Verte smells good on first contact, it has some seductive top notes, yet it goes a bit into detergent smell on me.

I had some Citrus Bigarrade... not bad at all when fresh, which is always a gamble with this house, but obscenely expensive. I believe it may be discontinued anyway. Selection Verte is good quality indeed, but too heavy on greenery - as opposed to "yellow" and "orange" colors - when it comes to what I am looking for. Bois de Cedrat used to be priced slightly more reasonably, but now it was let loose itself into the territory of sheer price absurdity. At that price range I would rather go for Eau du Chanel, which really seems faultless to me yet it doesn't seduce me.

Acqua di Parma smells great in its own way yet it is not what I am looking for (I prefer to keep my heavies and my colognes separately.)

I remember sniffing Eau de Guerlain and Imperiale by the same.... very good indeed, and I am tempted by a bottle of either... yet I would be happy to find something *slightly* better. One thing which *sounds* great yet I've never sniffed is this Cologne du Parfumeur. How does it fit within the context I've described? I don't live in a big city. Thanks.

I may have gotten carried away in my response to your quest for a summer cologne but . . . You are looking for a good summer eau de cologne and I recently had a similar quest myself, I thought I would list 12 fragrances that are all excellent for this kind of summer cologne you might be looking for.

TWELVE WORTHY EAU DE COLOGNE'S
    (1) Guerlain Cologne du Parfumeur is very clean with a dose of white musk + patchouli in the base. This one reminds me of cut crystal for its purity and transparent clean attitude. It is more transparent than the Chanel. Chanel is an excellent choice too by the way. Also very clean but softer with a slight lemony powder aspect is Guerlain (2) Eau de Imperiale. Neither of these Guerlains last extremely long, but both are clean and very fresh - two of the best ever made. To overcome the shorter lasting power, I opt for a big bottle and splash freely.

You said you like Cologne Sologne and there are several that have great neroli notes (like Col. Sologne does) along with traditional edc citrus freshnness. These are: (3) Villoresi Aqua di Colonia, (4) Maitre Parfumeur Gantier's Eau Pour le Jeune Homme and (5) Heely Oranges and Lemons Say the Bells of St. Clemens. It is amazing to me that these three all smell very close to each other and the scent is very traditional and very much emphasizing the citrus. They are warmer with neroli than most colognes. These all have that orange and yellow aspect you mentioned.

I also recommend three of The Different Company new eau de colognes: (6) Tokyo Bloom (soft green gardens), (7) Limon de Cordoza (lemon and woods), and (8) Sienna d' Orange (orange, apricot and leather). I was surprised at how much I kept going back to these last summer after discovering them.

From JC Ellena and Hermes are a couple of really nice edc style colognes: (9) Jardin Sur le Nil and (10) Jardin Sur le Toit. Sur le Nil is green mangoes and Sur le Toit is close clipped green grass. Both have a very dry finish, typical of Ellena creations. For a more oceanic Ellena eau de cologne try (11) Voyage de Hermes.

My favorite orange cologne is (12) Azemour les Orangers by Parfum d' Empire. This fragrance is hypnotic in its fresh dry orange scent.

There are twelve to try - they are all good for summer. My absolute favorite of all these ( I've got them all) is the last one - Azemour les Orangers.

Eau de Hermθs

Thank you Sir [Buzzlepuff] for your interesting comments. I still want to go (quasi-)traditional, cologne-wise, and minimalistically chemical, but with the best there is [if it doesn't cost $400! 100 would be acceptable). Would the Cologne du Parfumeur perhaps fit the bill?

I could always get an all-cologne "sample batch" from The Perfumed Court.. well, that would be as expensive as a Cologne Sologne bottle LOL

PS I will keep in mind your recommendations for more exotic, more daring colognes. You obviously know the subject in and out, as does Dullah. Any opinion on Atelier Cologne? Besides higher concentration, how does quality strike you, please?
    Last edited by EndlesslySurprised; 18th January 2013 at 03:52 AM.

Cologne du Parfumeur is a nice scent overall. Very refined, well balanced, smooth, with a modern appeal. Though, it doesn't stand out to me, it lacks that sparkling top- a refreshing quality that I want in an EdC. I prefer Eau de Guerlain, it smells invigorating to my nose.

Overall though, Santa Maria Novella Eau de Cologne edges even Eau de Guerlain out. It is very bright with a wonderful blend of citrus and light florals. I am debating a bottle purchase between this and Eau d'Hadrien, which is a weaker composition, but it has that breathtaking lemon zest top that I can't get out of my head.

Thank you Gamma. I am not familiar with the brand. On superficial inspection it seems SMN has quite a number of colognes, even eliminating the obviously feminine/floral ones. Is Eau de Cologne your favorite?

+1 on Aqua di Parma and flankers(mostly Assoluta)

Quote Originally Posted by EndlesslySurprised View Post
    Would the Cologne du Parfumeur perhaps fit the bill?
    Most definitely. Very nice stuff.

As for Atelier Cologne, I'd recommend Bois Blonds for a solid EdC-style offering. And they are now offering 100ml bottles on their site for $125.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey
    Currently wearing: Mediterraneo by Carthusia

Cologne du Parfumeur is a very nice fragrance. It is very minimal though and definitely is a background scent of clean freshness. If you want something that stands out with more citrus like a traditional eau de cologne or like Chanel EDC Exclusifs does then I recommend one of those that Dullah has highlighted, - the ad colonia by Villoresi and by Pour le Jeune by MPG. I tried an eau de cologne by Santa Maria Novella once, which I thought was a limited edition for their anniversary or some occasion. It was very impressive, but I haven't seen it since. When it comes to old fashioned cologne style though it is my opinion that Guerlain does it better than almost anyone. If you live in the US and Private Message me your address through the Basenotes message system, I am happy to send some samples of these to test for yourself.
    SUMMER COLOGNES: Splash of Lemon STH • Dior Homme Cologne • Boudicea the Victorious Oxford • Cedre Atlas • Azemour les Orangers • Oliver Peoples • Sunday Cologne edp • Guerlain Homme L'Eau • Ginepro di Sardegna • Maestrale • Iris Nazarena • Fitnessence • Escentric 02 • Daxon Iridium •

For a very modern reinterpretation, try Je Suis un Homme by Etat Libre d'Orange.

Composition: Bergamot, orange, lemon, myrte, cinnamon, clove, cognac accord, leather, patchouli, animal notes...

bump
    Last edited by Picassoutine; 18th January 2013 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Picassoutine View Post
    bump
    Why the edit? It was a cute joke.

Quote Originally Posted by EndlesslySurprised View Post
    Why the edit? It was a cute joke.
    Oh thanks, I was trying to get an image of Odie Cologne to show up and it wouldn't work.

OK, so the joke was Odie Cologne (pronounced "colOHney") was the patron saint of this topic.
    Anyone remember him?

Not what I was looking for, but.....

Last edited by Picassoutine; 18th January 2013 at 08:13 PM.