Code of Conduct

Default Article: The State of Natural Perfumery 2012

This makes me want to sample more all-natural perfumes. I remain fascinated by essential oils for many reasons, and once upon a time, would not use anything but all-natural scents. But the variety and quality of what I tried were lacking. I need to sample some very good ones.

But if I fall in love with this concept, and stay true to it, I will then need to divest myself of my collection. Oh, such an undertaking....

Studies have shown that nearly 20% of the population has minor to severe reactions to synthetically derived aroma chemicals (my husband and I included). I was amazed to find that the average woman actually takes on 5 pounds of toxic weight a year because of the use of synthetic cosmetics, body products and fragrances.

Citation needed.

I would certainly like to try the work of some of the people listed above, it sounds very interesting. Are they all available in the UK? If so can you recommend where? What sort of prices do people charge?
    I wonder how many of the perfumes are in alcohol and how many people use oil of those talked about here?

Also, I thought Mandy Aftel was one of the best known natural perfume people around (I think she's all natural), she's certainly talked about quite a bit on the forums - pity not to have her opinion here.

Default Re: Article: The State of Natural Perfumery 2012

Quote Originally Posted by HazelMae View Post
    Studies have shown that nearly 20% of the population has minor to severe reactions to synthetically derived aroma chemicals (my husband and I included). I was amazed to find that the average woman actually takes on 5 pounds of toxic weight a year because of the use of synthetic cosmetics, body products and fragrances.

Citation needed.
    Yeah citation definately needed. "studies have shown" indeed! Those are two extremely big claims to back up. I can't say I'm not highly skeptical...

I absolutely love the nuances, body and intrigue that only natural perfumery materials can offer. I absolutely hate all the unnecessary scare-mongering and bad science that unfortunately seems to go hand-in-hand with many natural product marketing stories. Why can't we just enjoy natural products without having to scare people into buying them?