Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Suggest a fruity leather based fragrance

Hi there guys. Just wanting to know some good and affordable leather based fragrances that have some sort of a slight fruity accord to them. I get that sort of smell when Dior Fahrenheit is drying down and for me it was the first time realizing how much I like the smell of leather and the slight smell of fruits going together. I had an Aramis fragrance that had a similar sort of leathery/fruity dry down too but for the life of me can't remember what it was called. Please no niche fragrances or fragrances that are extremely hard to find. On a budget here, lol. Oh and no mentions of Dirty English please. It's nice...but not what I'm looking for. Thanks guys. Appreciate any advice or suggestions I can get.

Default Re: Suggest a fruity leather based fragrance

May I suggest Balmain Jolie Madame? Violet and leather. Marketed as "female" but very masculine to me. And cheap!
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

...the Aramis must be Devin or Aramis itself!

John varvatos may fit your description, although to me the fruit is much more prominent than the leather

John varvatos may fit your description, although to me the fruit is much more prominent than the leather

Repost
    Last edited by Switch245; 10th April 2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Lag repost

Artisan Black by John Varvatos
    Last edited by Jack Hunter; 10th April 2012 at 05:57 PM.

How about Donna Karan Fuel for Men. Also, perhaps, Cuir Venenum ( althought this Parfumerie Generale release smells nasty to me. Not sure what Pierre Guillaume was thinking).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather and Mark Birley Charles Street. Both are EDP.

Leather with raspberry.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Canali Black Diamond has fruit and a suede leather accord. Not the easiest to find, but it's not too expensive when it pops up on here or ebay.

Ho Hang Club by Balenciaga

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    Canali Black Diamond has fruit and a suede leather accord....
    Agreed.

Another fruity leather oriental is Aigner Black for Men. IMO, an improvement on John Varvatos.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I don't get fruit out of Fahrenheit but you should give a chance to Knize Ten (ok, yes it's niche but it's VERY reasonably priced).

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

John Varvatos was my first thought. Cherry leather. Very unique scent.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I don't get fruit out of Fahrenheit but you should give a chance to Knize Ten (ok, yes it's niche but it's VERY reasonably priced).
    You don't? I always get a mandarin/leathery dry down from Fahrenheit which then mellows out to like a sawdust kinda smell but the fruity smell still lingers a bit. Is it just me who gets that dry down?? Lol I've had a look around for Knize Ten before and just now. Nothing comes up on eBay, Google or Amazon. It's hard to find and probably a bit too pricey for me. Don't mind paying higher end designer prices like the Chanel/Dior price range.

I've smelt the JV before in Harvey Nichols. Liked it. Just wouldn't pay that much for something that doesn't last very long.

Rien has a very subtle blackcurrant note... it's virtually undetectable but when you pick it up, it sticks with you in memory more so though actually smelling it.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    Rien has a very subtle blackcurrant note... it's virtually undetectable but when you pick it up, it sticks with you in memory more so though actually smelling it.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Just quickly looked it up on Fragrantica. It's unisex! And it's got rose in it! I don't like rose or incense. I wouldn't live it down at work. I'd get called a pansy. Choir boy. All sorts lol. I do like the idea of a blackcurrant/berry note with leather though. I've noticed that's the third time now someone on here has mentioned a feminine or unisex fragrance when I've asked for a slightly fruity leather based fragrance. Surely there must be something out there that isn't niche and has those accords without getting feminine in any stage of the scents life on my skin. Has anyone tried Ambre B'aldessarini? I just read that it has leather in it and is a bit like Hugo Boss n.o 6? Is the leather note prominent at all?? If it is I think that might be a good bet for me??

"Please no niche fragrances or fragrances that are extremely hard to find."

ha

The leather in Ambre is not very prominent but its nice and inexpensive. You should test first though

Knize Ten is about $70 US at Lucky Scent (at least it was when I bought mine a few months ago). So +1 on Knize.
    Red for Men (Giorgio) has a mild fruit vibe but is quite masculine and dirt cheap.
    Boss Number One also is supermasculine and about $25 US. I get a mild honeyed fruit but mostly tobacco/leather.
    +1 on Ho Hang Club. One of my favorites but not very fruity. Definitely, definitely masculine and mature. Cheap, too.

Check them on Ebay. They have plenty of bargains. But buyer beware if you don't test them first.

Quote Originally Posted by supernaan View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. Just quickly looked it up on Fragrantica. It's unisex! And it's got rose in it! I don't like rose or incense. I wouldn't live it down at work. I'd get called a pansy. Choir boy. All sorts lol. I do like the idea of a blackcurrant/berry note with leather though. I've noticed that's the third time now someone on here has mentioned a feminine or unisex fragrance when I've asked for a slightly fruity leather based fragrance.
    Rien would not get you called a pansy. It's one of the most bitter, disturbing leather fragrances on the market. It's intense, sharp and the only sweetness comes from a boatload of animalic civet.
    Also, if you're going to ask for suggestions on Basenotes, you'll have to get used to being recommended feminines, from Chanel to Guerlain, gender boundaries are pretty much squat here.

I know you said no niche, but do yourself the favor and save up for Santal 33. Sweet accords with an awesome authentic leather note.
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather and Mark Birley Charles Street. Both are EDP.

Leather with raspberry.
    Thank you

Thanks for the suggestion. Just quickly looked it up on Fragrantica. It's unisex! And it's got rose in it! I don't like rose or incense. I wouldn't live it down at work. I'd get called a pansy. Choir boy. All sorts lol. I do like the idea of a blackcurrant/berry note with leather though. I've noticed that's the third time now someone on here has mentioned a feminine or unisex fragrance when I've asked for a slightly fruity leather based fragrance. Surely there must be something out there that isn't niche and has those accords without getting feminine in any stage of the scents life on my skin. Has anyone tried Ambre B'aldessarini? I just read that it has leather in it and is a bit like Hugo Boss n.o 6? Is the leather note prominent at all?? If it is I think that might be a good bet for me??
    All fragrances, when you get around to it, are unisex. It's the taste of the wearer, actually.

A good number of members here on Basenotes cheerfully ignore the gender label and simply wear what they like.
    Last edited by Primrose; 11th April 2012 at 03:58 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Visa by Robert Piguet.....it's not that expensive!!

I need to learn how to use these forums properly.
    Last edited by supernaan; 11th April 2012 at 02:14 AM.

No niche fragrances lol. Please!

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Visa by Robert Piguet.....it's not that expensive!!
    Lol not expensive?? Maybe not where you live but over here it's like 110 for a 100ml EDP. That translates to like $175 or something. I have a rule for fragrances. I would never spend more than 65 for a bottle of something. Ever. Well...maybe for the original formulation of YSL M7 because it's hard to come by these days but that's it! Nothing else is worth it. Well, to me anyway, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by colognejunkie2000 View Post
    I know you said no niche, but do yourself the favor and save up for Santal 33. Sweet accords with an awesome authentic leather note.
    Now this I know that I really like...but again...not in my price range. I'll still hold onto the empty 1.5ml sample bottle I have though. Lol. Just to remember the scent by.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    Rien would not get you called a pansy. It's one of the most bitter, disturbing leather fragrances on the market. It's intense, sharp and the only sweetness comes from a boatload of animalic civet.
    Also, if you're going to ask for suggestions on Basenotes, you'll have to get used to being recommended feminines, from Chanel to Guerlain, gender boundaries are pretty much squat here.
    Lol. No thanks. The idea of having Civet sprayed on my neck or chest...lol sorry just makes me feel sick. That's way too animalic for my liking. Yeah I know but still...floral fragrances and fragrances that contain iris...blegh. Makes me nauseous. I can take a bit of violet or jasmine though. Thanks for the suggestion though at least I've discovered a new fragrance house thanks to you.

Tom Ford Extreme. Class, class, class.

Lol. No thanks. The idea of having Civet sprayed on my neck or chest...lol sorry just makes me feel sick. That's way too animalic for my liking. Yeah I know but still...floral fragrances and fragrances that contain iris...blegh. Makes me nauseous. I can take a bit of violet or jasmine though. Thanks for the suggestion though at least I've discovered a new fragrance house thanks to you.
    If you like violet, you might want to try Guerlain Arsene Lupin, an oriental violet leather! I was once known as Guerlain Arsene Lupin Dandy until Parfums D'Orsay decided that a generic word like "dandy" could be trademarked. And the irony is that Guerlain has the genuine historical pedigree.

(For more information on the start-up of the D'Orsay company, see:
    Nigel Groom, 2nd ed. "The Perfume Handbook."
    Ken Leach. "Perfume Presentations."
    Madeline Marsh. "Miller's Perfume Bottles: A Collector's Guide.")
    Guerlain Arsene Lupin is, simply put, wonderful and worth the price.

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...fragrance.html

Basenotes Plus

Plus 1 Jolie Madame. You wont be called a pansy if you don't tell anyone what it is called- just say it's your special blend or something.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

You're asking for something which isn't niche, yet has good longevity and projection. Tall order, but I think from a cost stand point you should try and get Mark Birley Charles Street. It's reasonably priced in Europe, compared to the US.

Avon Black Suede Touch and Ck Obsession Night - budget fruity-leathery gourmands
    Sienna by Crabtree&Evelyn- fruity-spicy-citrus chypre with a leathery drydown

Tom Ford Extreme and Tuscan Leather. Especially TL.
    Please check out my selling list:

YSL Opium homme EDP, Rive Gauche pour homme, Villoresi Uomo, Dior Homme vintage, Body Kouros, Guerlain homme intense etc.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...-etc-Worldwide!

Quote Originally Posted by Swanky View Post
    Knize Ten is about $70 US at Lucky Scent (at least it was when I bought mine a few months ago).
    Exactly. The price of most designer's.

To the op: Mandarine? Probably yes, but while surely being a fruit, I tend to classify it as citrus....

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    All fragrances, when you get around to it, are unisex. It's the taste of the wearer, actually.

A good number of members here on Basenotes cheerfully ignore the gender label and simply wear what they like.
    Well said.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Yes its very popular but Paco Rabanne - One Million.

Histoires de Parfums 1740 (Marquis de Sade) may fit the bill. Not too fruity but strange enough.
    For good, anatomic reasons, scent fosters memory more readily than any other sense.

Agree with the Varvatos recommendations. I prefer the date/cherry leather of the original over the spicy orange of Artisan Black. Can be found cheap too.

John Varvatos Vintage gets my vote

Aventus, Apple + Leather.

Diesel Fuel For Life Denim Collection

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    You're asking for something which isn't niche, yet has good longevity and projection. Tall order, but I think from a cost stand point you should try and get Mark Birley Charles Street. It's reasonably priced in Europe, compared to the US.
    Totally agree
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
    Aventus, Apple + Leather.
    Aventus, Pineapple + Smoke...

Another for John Varvatos/ JV Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Exactly. The price of most designer's.

To the op: Mandarine? Probably yes, but while surely being a fruit, I tend to classify it as citrus....
    Yeah but you're not including the cost of international shipping and taxes which we sometimes end up paying at the door over here on delivery. Not always though. Still a hassle. That's why I tend not to order anything from the U.S because even though it seems affordable it ends up costing an arm and leg unless you're ordering in bulk which I don't do.

Already own 1 Million and Diesel Fuel For Life...the leather note is barely noticeable to me. Not looking for a projection monster or anything. Just need it to last longer than 6 hours. I want it for work. I don't like spraying something in the morning only to see that it's gone by lunch time. Like I said I'm not interested in niche fragrances. Silly prices and you rarely get what you pay for. Unless it's an affordable niche like Commes Des Garcons or Guerlain which cost around the same as the higher end designers.

------------

I thought of Canali Men myself. Kiton Black is another leather fragrance worth looking at.

Okay guys after much deliberation I've decided to go with Charles Street by Mark Birley. Apparently it's a decent alternative to Tuscan Leather so I'll go with that since it is affordable. Ordered a 75ml EDP from Escentuals for 48 which is very reasonable. Thanks for all your suggestions guys. Even those who constantly mentioned niche fragrances that cost an arm and leg repeatedly, lol.

Basenotes Plus

Nemo by Cacharel and the original John Varvatos have the nicest combination of fruit and leather.

Basenotes Plus

make sure you report back on how you like the Charles street
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    make sure you report back on how you like the Charles street
    Yep I will definitely report back after I've worn the fragrance for a week or so. I'm expecting delivery tomorrow. Excited!

Hi guys just reporting back on theMaark Birley Charles Street. It's exactly what I was looking for so thanks to all the guys who suggested it. Doesn't last longer than 6-7 hours though which isn't bad but does sit close to the skin after an hour.

Basenotes Institution

Great supernaan!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Banned

Hi guys just reporting back on theMaark Birley Charles Street. It's exactly what I was looking for so thanks to all the guys who suggested it. Doesn't last longer than 6-7 hours though which isn't bad but does sit close to the skin after an hour.
    Glad you like it.
    Its weakness is its projection and longevity, but the price point should make that bearable. Enjoy !

Yeah but you're not including the cost of international shipping and taxes which we sometimes end up paying at the door over here on delivery. Not always though. Still a hassle. That's why I tend not to order anything from the U.S because even though it seems affordable it ends up costing an arm and leg unless you're ordering in bulk which I don't do.
    First of all, congratulations on your purchase! Enjoy it.

Re shipment. FIY, keep in mind that you can buy most of the fragrances carried by Luckyscent also at firstinfragrance (which is an european reseller). It's definitely cheaper if you're based on this side of the sea...

If you can get a sample of Cuir d'oranger by Miller Harris you should try it. One of the best fruity leather fragrances I've come across!
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's one by Mauboussin that turns up very cheap if you shop the discounters:

Histoire d'Eau

Cardamom, mandarine peel, drydown into resins/leather.

Cool bottle too.