Code of Conduct

Thread: Dorinia SA

Default Dorinia SA

Hello all,
    I'm a long time lurker, rare poster and a perfumer that's just recently started selling my blends. I'm looking for a good steady supplier for Dorinia SA since several of my best selling blends use it for the rose note.
    I was purchasing it from Perfumer's Apprentice but they don't seem to carry it anymore. Is there somewhere else that I can find it?
    I'm starting to get desperate because I have no idea what I'm going to do if I end up not being able to find a regular supplier.
    Thanks in advance!
    Toni

Default Re: Dorinia SA

Hello Toni,
    Congratulations on starting to sell - itís an exciting step!

To your question - luckily you can buy small quantities of Dorinia SA E at Hekserij, which is where I get mine. Unfortunately to buy direct from Firmenich you need to be buying by the truck load (or at least the pallet of 25 kilo drums)!

There is also a yahoo group where some of us sometimes do group buys of things that are hard to buy in sensible quantities that you might want to investigate as well.

Security of supply of some of these things is a worry you are not alone in experiencing I assure you.
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Hi Chris, and thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I'm in the U.S. and Hekserij doesn't ship to the U.S. I wish that I was doing enough business to need 25 kilo drums of my components but alas, I'm not there yet either.
    May I have the link to the yahoo group?
    Thank you again.
    Toni

They may just be out of stock at the moment. This is a commonly used material. She removes them from the site when out of stock. Check back or email Linda, she is quick to respond.
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

I did speak with Linda about it and I believe that she told me that Firmenich wasn't making it anymore. I'm okay for the moment. I've got 5 oz. and despite the fact that I use it in several of my best selling fragrances, I don't use large amounts of it.

Ah, sorry about that - and now that I check I see that Vigon donít stock it either, which is odd as they have most Firmenich stuff.

The Perfume Making group is here.

As to the quantities, well yes, in a way I wish I was too and then again I donít because to do that you need a manufacturing plant and I got into this precisely to get away from working in a huge business, so itís not altogether a bad thing to be small.

What sort of quantity are you looking for? I might be able to help out short term, at least until you find a better source.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

I'd be willing to do any amount up to a pound (16 oz.). I guess realistically, to make sure that I have it on hand, would a pound be possible?

I just spoke to someone at Vignon and they do have 2 Kilos of Dorinia SA - it's $370 a Kilo, though...

I would most certainly be interested in a portion of a Kilo- Perhaps a 1/4.
    ---
    -josh

www.imaginaryauthors.com

Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring.
    -Oscar Wilde

would pitch in as well.
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Okay, let me see what I can work out. Thank you guys!

for what's it worth, dorina sa and dorina sa e are two different products. the latter is a more expensive version and pitched as a better quality product, specifically made for fine fragrances.

i can't compare the two, i only have dorina sa e.

Sorry Iíve been away from Basenotes for a bit - let me see what price I can get on a kilo of Dorinia SA E first, but in principle Iím happy to take a half or full kilo of the product Vigon have (which I understand to be SA - like gido I only have the SA E at present). Iím also willing to distribute on to others in the UK / Europe if someone in the US can order it in the first instance.

For those in Europe please keep in mind that in addition to shipping and packaging costs (which can be very significant, especially if the material is classed as hazardous) youíll need to pay VAT and possibly other Duty on the import.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

I can cover about half of the cost, I just can't do all of it. Unfortunately, I'm simply not blending enough to need a full kilo or to be able to justify the expense.

I had no idea about Dorinia Sa E - I haven't seen that anywhere but I'd be interested in it if I could find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Atriel View Post
    I can cover about half of the cost, I just can't do all of it. Unfortunately, I'm simply not blending enough to need a full kilo or to be able to justify the expense.

I had no idea about Dorinia Sa E - I haven't seen that anywhere but I'd be interested in it if I could find it.
    Well it seems that Dorinia SA E is indeed a little more expensive at around €400 - for my money I’m prepared to go with that rather than the cheaper SA, not least because it won’t work out much cheaper by the time it’s on this side of the Atlantic.

For those who have never used it I can tell you that Dorinia SA E is a very fine rose otto / rose absolute substitute: in fact I’ve seen it being presented as real rose otto - my supplier knew quite well it was fake and sent the sample in a spirit of enquiry - but someone had tried to pass it off to him as the real thing. I recognised it immediately, but the point of this story is that it’s a good enough imitation that someone thought that fraud worth perpetrating (and they are probably still selling the stuff as rose otto to the unsuspecting). Dorinia was also one of the key products that established Firmenich’s reputation in the fragrance materials market - though there were clearly many other factors in their early success too.

Looking at the posts below, most people who’ve expressed a desire to buy are in the US but if there is interest from people in Europe - or if those in the US prefer the SA E version - I’m happy to buy a kilo and split it up.

If you’ve never done this before, please keep in mind that the additional costs of doing it are non-trivial: some material is lost in splitting so 1Kg does not make 10 100g lots for example, plus there is the cost of bottles, packaging, shipping, import and export taxes to consider. So you can’t just take the cost of a kilo, divide it down and expect that to be it. I generally work on the basis it will cost me roughly double the headline price when I buy things this way from the US - far more when the product is very cheap. Lead-times can also be significant, so be prepared to plan far in advance - some materials are manufactured in one or two runs a year with the factory being used to produce other things the rest of the time and finding stock just before one of those runs can be impossible.

Slightly off-topic but another material that I know has limited availability outside of Europe is Veratraldehyde and I’d be happy to do the same with that if there is interest.

In principle I’m happy to do this with anything in fact, though clearly I don’t want to end up becoming an aromatics distributor by default.
    Last edited by Chris Bartlett; 13th April 2012 at 08:20 PM.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

I am very interested. Let me know what I can do to help.

Thanks, if you donít mind handling distribution on the North American side that would be a great help. Thus far, besides whoever may be interested here I have one other party in the US who wants some.

I donít really want to buy more than 1/4 to half a kilo myself, so Iím really looking for enough people to take up the rest.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

Okay, I'll post again on Monday with definites about this. Let me email Vignon again and I'll take it from there. Thank you guys so very much for all of the help. I appreciate more than I could say.

Okay well it looks like I missed the boat on the Dorinia SA. So, Chris, if you're still willing to do this, I'd be willing to take 1/4 of a Dorinia SA E. Please let me know what I'd need to do to get in on this.
    Thank you so much,
    Toni

I will take 1/4

Sorry to have been off the grid for a while - whenever Iíve been up Basenotes has been down - with which in mind can I ask all those interested in this purchase to PM me with full contact details so that we can get everything sorted irrespective of server problems at Basenotes Towers?

It looks like we have four of us each wanting a quarter kilo so I have enough interest to buy it: Iím the only one in Europe so I propose to send three quarters of the material on to one of you in the US who can then divide it evenly and pass on to the other two. Iíll work out the exact cost, including shipping to the US, as soon as everyone firms up their orders. Whoever does the onward shipping within the US will need to cover their costs for that too, but in return for doing the work and providing the bottles will have theirs without paying for that bit, which seems a fair trade.

That all seem good to everyone?
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

Please keep me informed on this thread.

If you want to participate in the group buy, Iím going to need both email and real-world contact details from you . . . I canít send the stuff to a thread, even on Basenotes you know!

Also I just tried to PM you and youíve exceeded your quota so I couldnít . . .
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

Previously on "Breaking Bad"...

Can I be included in the Buy Group? I need 100 grams of Dorinia SA E. Please let me know. Thanks.

Yes sure. If you PM me your contact details Iíll be writing to everyone to agree the split shortly - at the moment we have a total of 1.1 Kg but Iím sure we can arrange to each take either more or less so that we get to 1 or 2 Kg.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

We currently have a bit of spare capacity on this as one of the buyers has dropped out - anyone else interested in participating please?
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

Quick update - this buy is about to go ahead - I've just confirmed with the supplier that we don't have to buy in whole kilos and we are already over the 1Kg threshold to get the best price, so if anyone wants to join in on the buy, shout now please and I can bring you in.

Just to reiterate, this material, Dorinia SA E, is a Rose Accord produced by Firmenich for use in fine fragrance and is currently not being sold by any of the US suppliers. The supplier I'm buying from (Hekserij) does not ship to North America but can supply most other places and sells in amounts as small as 10ml - so this is really of interest only to those in North America.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

Quote Originally Posted by Atriel View Post
    I'd be willing to do any amount up to a pound (16 oz.). I guess realistically, to make sure that I have it on hand, would a pound be possible?
    tHiS!

Quote Originally Posted by EarNoseThroat View Post
    tHiS!
    If youíd like to join in, please send me your contact details and Iíll include you on the mails where we are sorting out the details. Iím going to close this buy in the next 10-15 hours so if you want to join in please act quickly.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

Everyone in on this buy should have an email from me now - if you haven't it's either in your spam folder or I've bungled something!
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

This is in the final stages now and almost everyone who has decided to participate has paid.

However EarNoseThroat

I've still not heard anything from you, despite efforts on email and Basenotes - I'll be going ahead without you if I've still not heard anything in about 30 hours from now . . .
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

Does anyone have any idea what's in SA E? Maybe just a guess? It smells great.