Code of Conduct

Thread: Tonka Imperiale

Default Tonka Imperiale

Hey folks,

I am a huge fan of gourmand fragrances, so I blind bought Tonka Imperiale by Guerlain. Some of the gourmands in my collection include.. New Harrlem Tobacco Vanille, Musc Ravageur, Mandorlo Di Sicilia, and Angel Men just to name a few. Do you think I will be a fan of this scent? I see it comes with a pump atomizer, is this scent in any way feminine?

Nick

Default Re: Tonka Imperiale

I thought it was nice. Very sweet, but, nothing you wont be able to handle if you wear New Haarlem. A top notch scent, no doubt.

I think you'll either like it from the start or not.

This stuff is amazing

If you don't want it I will gladly take this off of your hands. It is in my top three scents currently.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Apple Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

It is very nice though it reminds me of marzipan on a cake and is a bit too feminine for my tastes.

It's made with good stuff and it's sightly more interesting than Tobacco Vanille and a few others that people go on about. But along with Spiritueuse Double Vanille and several others, it's hard to believe Guerlain can even make something so simple. It's becoming a stretch to think of the Guerlain name being applied to the greatest perfume house anymore as they've even killed (through reformulation based on IFRA restrictions) almost all of the classics.

It smells good, but I lost interest in it within a month.
    Last edited by pluran; 10th April 2012 at 10:15 PM.

It is a lovely dense Gourmand! based on your taste I believe you most certainly will love this Juice, Enjoy it in good health.

Thank you for the replies folks! How does it do in the longevity and compliment department? Would women find this appealing on a man?

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    Thank you for the replies folks! How does it do in the longevity and compliment department? Would women find this appealing on a man?

I do believe so, in fact Tonka Imperiale would be a perfect choice for dating, please go easy on the trigger, on my skin 10 hours longevity, in addition i find it to be more a cool evening scent, Spring/Fall/Winter evenings.

Banned

Tonka Imperiale by Guerlain - One is initially treated to a dulcet, marzipan-like accord, fashioned from the bittersweet bergamot, the nutty almond, and sweetish honey. Mint-like rosemary, with its faint terpenic aspect, wonderfully tempers the sweet accord. Transitioning to the middle, a billowing tonka bean imparts its spicy vanillic facet to the opening brew. A plume of fruitiness and dimmed smokiness from tabacco as well as a shadow of tutti-frutti jasmine swirl about. A drizzle of delectable heliotrope, with its delicate, caramel sweetness, presents. Segueing to the perfecting base, the tonka bean takes on an amber-like creaminess, and commingles with the balsamic menthol of pine. A fresh and somewhat sweet woodiness from cedar permeates the blend, while resiny, smoky, and slightly sweet incense sparkles here and there. A drydown of epicurean delight ensues. Possessing average projection and longevity, this entrancing gourmand composition is well-crafted and unisex.

I thoroughly enjoy TI, a little pricey so I'll be getting in on a split soon

Don't use the balloon spray...use the normal one. With the balloon spray, if you turn the bottle upside down, juice comes out. You perfume will evaporate fast. Might also damage the scent as air can get in.

Blog Entries

GUERLAIN - Tonka Imperiale

It is nice for the women, but for the men also, because it has some heft to it.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

I love this juice.

Nice looking bottle also, I love mine

I'm sure even if you don't like it that you'll only be losing a few dollars when you sell it

Hey folks,

I am a huge fan of gourmand fragrances, so I blind bought Tonka Imperiale by Guerlain. Some of the gourmands in my collection include.. New Harrlem Tobacco Vanille, Musc Ravageur, Mandorlo Di Sicilia, and Angel Men just to name a few. Do you think I will be a fan of this scent? I see it comes with a pump atomizer, is this scent in any way feminine?

Nick
    Nick, it come with two different atomizers

Listen to the people, the bulb not only allows evaporation, it has a pretty terrible spray...the other included atomizer is very nice. As for the scent, I really doubt you'll be disappointed. Enjoy!

The tonka in TI is very authentic. Smells exactly like the essential oil tonka I smelled but the TI is a bit too sweet. I wouldn't say for ladies as some men enjoy sweet perfume but too sweet for my tastes but smells very high quality.

for swap/sale:

I like this during the cooler weather. Good scent.

This is arguably my favorite fragrance. I can't wait for Kron's Tonka Imperiale split to fill up. Reserve your spots!

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    It's made with good stuff and it's sightly more interesting than Tobacco Vanille and a few others that people go on about. But along with Spiritueuse Double Vanille and several others, it's hard to believe Guerlain can even make something so simple. It's becoming a stretch to think of the Guerlain name being applied to the greatest perfume house anymore as they've even killed (through reformulation based on IFRA restrictions) almost all of the classics.

It smells good, but I lost interest in it within a month.
    So true!

Love it! Great stuff and based on your tastes you will love it too.

Sounds like I'm going to enjoy this scent indeed. Does it share any similarities to Acqua Di Parmas Mandorlo Di Sicilia? I'm a huge fan of that one, especially the almond and vanilla notes..

I found it to be slightly too feminine for my tastes. Great fragrance though.
    Last edited by morrison74; 11th April 2012 at 02:18 PM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Sounds like I'm going to enjoy this scent indeed. Does it share any similarities to Acqua Di Parmas Mandorlo Di Sicilia? I'm a huge fan of that one, especially the almond and vanilla notes..
    Well, checker it is certainly as sweet as Mandorlo Di Sicilia, however more dense, it has more layers, just to put in perspective:

Mandorlo Di Sicilia = DVD
    Tonka Imperiale = Blu Ray

Take care, and don't worry you will love TI

Basenotes Institution

I loved it when I smelled it a couple weeks ago in NY. I cant' stop thinking about it, but there is NO way I would use up a whole bottle here in S. Florida so I will probably get a split sometime in the future, maybe next Fall/Winter.

There is a 'piece' of Shalimar somewhere in it. What I mean is...there is a small tiny part of Shalimar that IMO Guerlain explored in Tonka Imperiale and sort of 'extended' into its own fragrance. It has a slightly edible quality to it, and I usually dislike intensely sweet scents but this counterbalances the sweetness with a raw, sort of hissy aromatic feel. I know that sounds horrible but it totally works. It's also VERY strong and radiant...two sprays lasted ALL afternoon on my wrist.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I'm slightly with Pluran. There's something luxuriously modern-Guerlain about it, but I sort of loose interest in smelling it after a few days. I much prefer plain old vintage Shalimar. Alternatively Cuir Beluga, if it has to be modern.

I like it, but it's just a touch too feminine for me. But I still crave it.

Hey folks,

I got my tonka imperial today and I'm absolutely blown away by it. Definitely reminds me of Mandorlo Di Sicilia except it's much more refined and classy. I let my girlfriend take a whiff and she liked it. She definitely finds it more masculine and couldnt see herself wearing it, but to each their own. I'm very satisfied and appreciate all of your responses!

Nick

Hey folks,

I got my tonka imperial today and I'm absolutely blown away by it. Definitely reminds me of Mandorlo Di Sicilia except it's much more refined and classy. I let my girlfriend take a whiff and she liked it. She definitely finds it more masculine and couldnt see herself wearing it, but to each their own. I'm very satisfied and appreciate all of your responses!

Nick
    Enjoy it mate, I am glad you liked it. cheers!

Basenotes Institution

Sampled it again last night, fell in love with it again. Remind me, last night, when I sprayed it on of Hermessence Ambre Narguile. The drydown is particularly nice on me, however I can understand how many others might not feel that way. I can't wait to give it a full wearing to the office, when we get another cold front blowing in here in Miami.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

TI is nice but I prefer Cuir Beluga!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Sampled it again last night, fell in love with it again. Remind me, last night, when I sprayed it on of Hermessence Ambre Narguile. The drydown is particularly nice on me, however I can understand how many others might not feel that way. I can't wait to give it a full wearing to the office, when we get another cold front blowing in here in Miami.
    Having worn AN and TI back to back, yeah, I can see how you're reminded. I need to work TI into my rotation, it's a damn nice frag that just hasn't seen a lot of action recently.

Nice silky creamy frag. Not in love, but I have lot of respect

I really enjoy it in cool weather occasionally - it can become 'too much of a good thing' if you wear it too often.

I don't like it -- too sweet. Sillage/strength is poor also, which is a good thing. Test SDV then this -- you won't detect it at all.