Code of Conduct

Default R'Oud Elements First Impressions

I was pretty interested to try out the fragrances crafted by one of my favorite Youtube fragrance reviewers, Kerosene. After sampling them, I knew I had to have R'Oud Elements in my collection. At very first, it reminded me of Yves Saint Laurent's M7, but after wearing RE a few times, the similarities have diminished. RE doesn't have that medicinal cherry cough syrup note that M7 is known for. Instead, it has a more natural oud note with only slight medicinal properties. After about 45 minutes, the vanilla comes in and becomes very prominent. This isn't a synthetic Le Male type vanilla either, this is beautiful, real smelling vanilla. The use of quality ingredients is very noticeable in this fragrance. As a matter of fact, the overall smell of this fragrance would lead one to believe it was crafted by a seasoned perfumer for a big named company. This smells like something that could easily go for twice the price. This is unmistakably niche in it's uniqueness and quality ingredients. This is also more wearable on a daily basis than M7. I only compare them b/c I don't have many Oud based frags and M7 is the most mainstream one on the market, at least before it was watered down and renamed Oud Absolute. The longevity for R'Oud Elements is stellar. I'd put it in the 10-12 hour range, but at the very least, 8 hours on a bad day. Projection is moderate. It's not a monster, but it's not a weakling either. It's just right. There's something about this fragrance that puts me in a good mood. I didn't see Ketamine in the notes pyramid, so I'll assume it's just b/c this fragrance smells so darn good. In fact, I can't stop sniffing my wrist to catch a whiff of that gorgeous vanilla. For this one I tried 4 sprays and it seems to be a good amount. I tried 1 on the chest, 1 on the neck, and 1 on each wrist. It was never cloying and it didn't choke me out. I think you could get away with more or less, but I'd recommend at least 3 sprays.

The bottle itself is a work of art. It's simple, beautiful, and simply beautiful. The automotive paint used to coat the bottle really sparkles in the light. It's like looking at a brand new car after a wash and detailing. Even the cap has the same beautiful paint job. The pics I've taken of it just don't it justice. Not only is it beautiful, it's practical. I don't think you'll have to worry about light ruining your bottle of R'Oud Elements. The label is nice and the ribbon around the base of the sprayer is a nice touch. He even signed the back of the bottle, which is very neat. I have the 50 ml bottle, which I believe has been discontinued. The sprayer really gets the juice out there. It even makes a nice little clink sound after the atomizer has been depressed. Overall the packaging is great and really fits with the theme of this fragrance and the Kerosene house in general.

For anybody who is into Oud fragrances, this is a must try. For anybody who is a collector and enjoys high quality niche frags, this is a must buy. The price is a bit high for an independent frag, but to me it's worth it. I understand that the ingredients used in this concoction are of high quality and that the paint process for the bottles must be a PITA. I appreciate the work that went into this fragrance and I recommend any frag fanatic to check it out. The only place I know of to buy it besides from John himself is from the Min New York boutique as well as it's online store. If you use coupon code ROBES08 you can get it for 20% off, which brings it down to a very reasonable price. Keep on rockin' Kerosene! I can't wait to see what you come out with next brotato.

Last edited by mesaboogie; 11th April 2012 at 01:16 AM.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Default Re: R'Oud Elements First Impressions

Nice review!

Thanks!

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I find this scent quite elegant actually.

Great review Mesaboogie. Meets all my needs for an excellent fragrance and I agree that it comes off as a very relaxing fragrance. I get a fresh and soft dryer sheet accord throughout with the orange bitters/oud/vanilla. Bought this to wear in the fall, but it's great in the heat as well.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche (Lemon)

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

Thanks silentrich. I think this one will be good to wear in the summer here where it's usually 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Have a sample of this and would have to agree with what you said.

I too really like this fragrance. I find the top notes and early middle to smell almost just like Oud Wood by Tom Ford. Compare and you'll see what I'm saying. The drydown is different than Oud Wood and Roud elements has better longevity. Kerosene knocked this one out of the ballpark... and considering this was his first real offering! Man oh man!

Me buy bottle.
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

Excellent impression mesaboogie! Kerosene rules. Still gotta try this.

A very nice fragrance indeed. Not at all like M7. I pick up on a strong incense note which makes it remind me a lot of By Kilian Inscense Oud.

I wore it again today and I got a solid 12 hours of longevity out of it. The drydown is fantastic and long lasting. I absolutely recommend trying this one out.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock